The "Family Mass"
  • As a parent of three grown children, I tend to see most youth-oriented liturgical movements as passing phenomena. One development, though, seems to have established some pretty deep roots in my region and does not seem to be losing momentum.

Though perhaps misnamed, the “Family Mass” is now a fixture in many Boston area suburban parishes and for some music directors something of a bane. Few parishes, particularly those with a strong contingent of young families, have resisted this trend. The rationale behind the movement is that such Masses capture the attention of young minds and draw parents who otherwise might not attend. The special Family Mass features include homilies directed toward children – who usually gather around the priest - and, of course, music that is considered by those who plan these liturgies to be suitable and attractive to the young; i.e., nothing too traditional or heavy.

While discouraging predictable curt, dismissive comments, I would welcome a discussion on the impact of this phenomenon – particularly from those of you who are parents and educators. First of all, is it as widespread in your area as in the Northeast? Does the thinking supporting these liturgies neglect or misrepresent something essential about the process of childhood learning? Is there a positive spin you can apply to the Family Mass? For example, within such a liturgy have you been successful through the presence of a children’s choir to introduce music of worth? If you are dead set against the Family Mass, outline your reasoning and state what practical measures you would implement to eliminate it in parishes where it is so entrenched.
  • I had this in Pennsylvania. When I took over as music director, I didn't gut the whole affair musically, but I did take out the lousy Celtic Lord's Prayer. A mom approached me asked to have it reinstated since the kids sang it for the school Mass and new it well. She said that the parents were more likely to sing if their kids were. I stood there momentarily shocked and very politely asked her if it shouldn't be the other way around. We kept the Snow version of the chant and eventually everyone forgot about the Disneyfied version.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • incantuincantu
    One danger of the Family Mass is that the liberties allowed for "Masses with children in which only a few adults participate" in the Directory for Masses with Children are used indiscriminately for liturgies are more likely "Masses with adults in which children also participate." This is often a public Mass, yet adults who show up without children are denied the opportunity to participate in their full capacity. To give but one example, they might hear only one reading, and from the Children's Lectionary.

Another problem of the Family Mass is that children are sometimes not given the opportunity to learn how to participate in the Mass as adults. The Credo is routinely skipped, words of the ordinaries are changed, and an emphasis is placed on the children's participation in extraordinary ways (carrying something in the entrance procession, doing the readings, acting as cantors, bringing up the gifts, singing a special song after communion) rather than on the dialogues, responses, prayers, active listening, and especially postures that are the normal way of participating in Mass.

At our parish the Family Mass is only once per month, which sends the message that Mass is something special we only go to occasionally, rather than a weekly obligation.

With all these potential pitfalls, it is very possible that a Family Mass that is done well, and that is geared toward helping to form lifelong Catholics who know how to actually participate in Mass, could be successful.
  • Donnaswan
    This is the Mass at which 'The Band' plays. All the children attend b/c CCD immediately follows it. Consequently, they never,but never hear any traditional music of the church. I take that back. Last week, they heard Nicea with a guitar and drums. And a nice rock beat.

Donna
  • Maureen
    It would seem, then, that the "Family Mass" would be the place to implement a children's choir, or a young person's choir, or just teaching every single child at the school like they are a choir, and getting them singing some better music. If people want to have children participating in the Mass -- there you are! If they want to have children singing as an example for the parents -- there you are!

Heck, if people want kids bringing up the gifts -- have the choir do it! If people want kids reading the readings -- have them sing the readings in the lector tones!

And of course my favorite -- if people want the kids all clustered around the altar, make all the kids servers and stick 'em all in albs!

Heck, when I think of all the stupid crud we had to do as kids in the Seventies, these suggestions don't sound draconian at all. :)

Also, it does occur to me that, if kids were singing the readings, it might help kids to memorize and deliver them. A lot of children (and adults) have not been properly taught to read out loud smoothly, and so they hesitate. Extra practice with the readings, to learn the tones, could only help.
  • incantuincantu
    Oh Maureen how I agree with you! But I can't imagine how I would ever make the idea of "singing the readings" fly. After all, they're not called "singings." I haven't even been able to get the principal to let the children sing the psalm. They read it! And then, of course, they ask me why the kids can't sing a special song during the Mass.
  • I might add that a necessary component of the "Family Mass" appears to be informality. Sung readings suggest, well, solemnity. Can't have that.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I guess this is about the collection and getting people there? Or maybe that goes without saying.

I think we have a "family Mass" of sorts but the music is all "adult contemporary" e.g. Schutte from the Gathering to the Scattering Song.
  • OlbashOlbash
    As a parent of three boys (ages 6, 4 and 2), I can say that I much prefer that they attend a Mass *not* specially designated as a Family Mass, and prefer that the children sit and wonder about those parts which they can't understand.

Kids are pretty sharp. They know when they are being patronized and entertained. Usually, my oldest son notices how bad the music is, and he says "Daddy, it's so boring," and it's a good teaching moment to tell him, "Son, you're not here to be entertained. This is something you do to worship God, and sometimes it's your duty to sit and listen to music you don't like." On the rare occasion when we go to a Family Mass that actually has well-done strums-and-drums music, I can see that my children like it. But they like it for the wrong reason. And I have to have another teaching moment, telling them that the music at Mass is not there to entertain them, but to praise God. It's difficult to reinforce that message when the congregation applauds the musicians after Mass, though...

It's also amazing how much the children *do* understand. When they are sitting near the front of the church and can see what is happening, they "get it," to a surprising degree. One professor of liturgy told me once that "if you have to explain a rite to the congregation, then you're doing it wrong. The actions should be simple and straightforward enough that a 5-year-old would understand it." I think she had a point. Certainly, there is much for the child's eye to behold in well rehearsed and executed ceremony.

One option that hasn't been discussed in this thread, and it bears consideration, is a separate Liturgy of the Word for Children, where the children are dismissed to some other place. I'm not necessarily advocating this -- I believe there is a strong theological mandate for the children to be in worship with everyone else -- but it is something worth discussing.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Around where I live, the "family Mass" seems to be the one immediately preceding CCD classes. One church where I worked made no distinction in music or liturgy. What I liked was the "cry room" full of adults chatting with each other. However, there was no "talking down" or abbreviation.

Another had a pick-up choir of kids (no rehearsals ever) that sang along with the hymns. And we could only use hymns "the kids already know," rather limiting our choices to some tried-and-true traditionals and the greatest hits of the 1980s. This was a parish that drew families from a wide area because of its orthodox preaching and access to Confessions before Mass. So you'd never get them back for practice. There was a Mass preceding and CCD after. My main complaint as the organist was that the kids kept "dribbling" into the choir loft up until the Gospel. But, heck, children don't drive themselves to church.

I only heard the Eucharistic Prayer for Children once when I played for a school Mass and I was freaked out for two days. (Of course, the only people who sang the weird children's parts were the adults.)
  • incantuincantu
    One professor of liturgy told me once that "if you have to explain a rite to the congregation, then you're doing it wrong.

I've heard this story many times from priests, and usually right before they explain (or unnecessarily alter) a ritual action.
  • If you have to explain a rite to a congregation, it's because they haven't seen it done properly before.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    And/or because they haven't been properly catechized, and because basics of the Mass and of the faith haven't been regularly revisited in homilies and the like.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If there's a Family Mass, when does the Adult's Only Mass start?
  • G
    If there's a Family Mass, when does the Adult's Only Mass start?

6:30 a.m. (not sure anyone here is old enough to make the cut...)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    It seems to me that there really isn't such a thing as "Children's Mass," even when reading the Directory for Masses With Children. I agree with matthewj above when he states, "...when does the Adults Only Mass start?" When reading the Directory, it seems like either situation could apply for every single Mass, especially since there are inevitably children that attend on weekend Masses, normally "intended for adults." One other question: has anyone had the experience where you are asked to make the music "kid friendly" but nothing else is done in such a manner? i.e. the readings are from the normal Lectionary, the Eucharistic Prayers are the same ones used at regular weekend Masses, the homily is at about the same reading level as the ones used at regular weekend Masses, etc. The Directory seems to advise making the Mass more child-like, especially in chapter III. Masses with children when few adults attend: it suggests having student artwork displayed, and allowing the students to play instruments to the extent that it is not distracting, or decorating special areas of the church.
  • bonniebede
    Here are some notes I made for our parish with regard to 'family mass'. (attached)
    For the last six months (until reorganised schedule made it impossible) we had a 'family choir' at the family mass, adults and children singing together. in terms of musical progress, we weeded out some horrible horizontal hymns, and put in some Taize chants, a marian hymn at the end, ubi caritas (taize versions in English and latin), o sacrament most holy, and some SEP at offertory. We had got as far as doing a Rice choral proper for offertory in our last season.
    Worship aids included words and music, and lots of colourable illustrations. Also included some very short 'did you know'...tips about what was happening at Mass.

The parish has now increased in size but lost a priest, so number of masses has been reduced, so family mass is gone. the ppriests are hopeful of finding some way to include the work done so far... the family choir might sing vespers sometimes on Sundays, and i am praying for some involvement in what we do at corpus Christi. Our diocese does not allow Corpus Christi processions, so the last years we had a short procession with a cross instead, but musically...well, we had somewhere over the rainbow. as one 6 year old remarked 'is that even about jesus?'. So still plenty of work available to be done.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • We used to have Life Teen but they discontinued it, not sure why. There is no "family Mass" at my church, and I'm having a hard time understanding why such a thing is needed. Every Mass is a family Mass, isn't that how it should be? Children are routinely involved in our "regular" Mass, whether it's the children's choir, bringing up gifts, etc. A little card showed up in the pews recently that encouraged families with young children to explain the Mass, don't be afraid to answer questions during the Mass if children are curious, don't leave because the baby is crying, encourage children to participate. As far as the music goes, the children's choir doesn't seem to shy away from difficult hymns or psalm settings, the director holds them to a high standard and they reach it. I often lament the absence of many things at my church, but reading this I realize I am pretty fortunate that they don't seek to separate children or feel a need to do anything "special" just because they are children. I haven't attended any of the school Masses but I imagine, just based on the priest that presides at most of them, those aren't watered down either.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • Being of a certain age, questions of the whereabouts of misplaced car keys or whether I left the gas burner on cause greater concern than they once did. However, reading a forum thread that I have no memory of starting occasions real anxiety. Granted, it was almost five years ago. Olbash had only three little ones then.

But the topic is a good one and still pertinent. Whoever brought it up should be commended.
    Thanked by 2bonniebede Gavin
  • Caleferink
    IMHO, there should never be labels attached to the Mass other than "Holy," and then perhaps in multi-lingual communities some sort of indication what the primary vernacular will be (English, Spanish, Polish) or Ordinary/Extraordinary Form can be included. From a purely musical perspective, "Family" Masses and other such Masses "geared toward children" ("school" Masses, etc.) should use the same musical repertoire inasmuch as possible as "regular" Masses, so that when children attend a "regular" Mass it's not a totally foreign experience for them. At the risk of sounding "mushy" (I can't think of a better word right now), every Mass should be a "family" Mass, i.e. families coming to Mass together (understanding sometimes family members may have a ministry to perform, be it lector, choir member, etc.). Personally, my biggest row is when parishes have a "Children's Liturgy of the Word" whereby children are separated from their families and led to a separate place so they can "hear the Word of God in their own language." Often this is led by an ill-trained volunteer who, after reading maybe one or two of the readings from the Children's Lectionary, they're given some sort of coloring/worksheet or other "activity" that maybe corresponds to what they just supposedly heard. Then, perhaps the worst part, is when these leaders attempt to guesstimate when to send the children back to their parents, scattered all over the church; I've seen this happen any time between the end of the homily and, even a couple of times, at the consecration! In an age where family life is under attack from all sides, shouldn't the Church be the place where our "domestic Churches" come together as the greater family of the Church universal? I think once this is understood, many other things will fall into place the way the way they should. Perhaps I'm being too idealistic and/or failing to see other issues at hand, but I had to give my 2 cents on this topic.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Bonnie, you ought to submit that as an article to National Catholic Register or EWTN or some other news outlet. Those guidelines should be in every parish bulletin. Very well written and with such sensitivity, too.

It's so sad about the processions being banned in your diocese.

Speaking of processions, I was just reading in Dom Beaudoin's little book, Liturgy and the Life of the Church this passage which might inspire you to continue on with your good work:

It is not only the faithful whose faith is reanimated by the Liturgy. The indifferent, even the adversaries in spite of themselves feel the influence of this externalized religious life. The grand cathedrals, inspired by the Liturgy and constructed for it, and rising in our public places; the towers, cupolas, spires, symbols of our faith, which catch the eye from a distance and dominate our public dwellings and private residences, the processions that take place; the chimes which sing out;the funeral corteges that pray and hope; the joyful crowds that go in long files to the house of the Lord to celebrate our grand religious solemnities; the liturgical cycle sending its rhythm into the civil life and imposing on the latter respect for the holy days---in a word all the exterior manifestations that the Liturgy inspires, animates and preserves, are a protest against atheistic secularization, and constitute in our midst a constant affirmation of the supernatural and of the rights of God.

Hope those words are cheering.
    Thanked by 2bonniebede francis
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    The closest thing to a "family Mass" at the parish I currently serve is their late Sunday (6 PM!) Mass. I asked the DM why this Mass exists and also why it's so heavily attended, and the response was twofold: 1) we are now one of only 2 parishes in the entire metro area that offer a late Mass on Sunday, but more importantly, 2) the religious education programs are held immediately following on Sunday evenings and this gives the students, parents and catechists the opportunity to attend Mass without needing to return to church a second time during the day. (It doesn't always happen that way, and there's always the inevitable traffic jam in the parking lot as Mass is letting out and the drive-by parents are dropping their kids off, but at least the opportunity is being offered in a positive way.)

I can see the logic of it, because it gives the families a chance to worship together as families, thus strengthening the notion of domestic church as well as parish identity. There is no LT Mass and the music and liturgy are exactly the same as what would be experienced at the principal Mass on Sunday, so no "folk group" or "praise band" nonsense. (Even the "school" Masses are relatively free of the nonsense too often justified by a tortured misreading of the DMC, although there are a few things that could be improved.)

Do I wish our liturgies were more dignified? Of course. Do I wish the music were more in keeping with the RotR? Of course. Is it good to see a strong (domestic) family identity being promoted within the parish? Absolutely. This is a suburban parish, with typical suburban sensibilities. I think there are many things that could be done better to strengthen and promote a harder-identity Catholicism. But that's not up to me, and I'm hardly in a position to agitate for such things. The good news is that the parish is generally healthy and high-functioning, so should a Pastor be assigned who comes from a more orthodox mindset, he just might be able to make minute, glacial changes toward that goal without disrupting those delicate suburbanites.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • ghmus7
    I recall a parish i worked for where the family mass was celebrated in the church hall. It seemed like a better place for such a kind of mass, more informal and pitched toward kiddos.
    However, i noticed that this mass continued, becuse there was one family who did the music for the mass and I think it was done partly out of fear of them leaving. This created a situation in which the family started to dictate their terms. The dad i recall played the sax and insisted that he play for the main mass in the church. He said they would all leave if he didnt play. I was mean and didnt let him play, but i dont remember what they did.
    I think many pastors agree to things like this to please people. It does not really work in the end.
    Imho kids who grow up with this kind of liturgy and Life Teen have difficult time "transistioning" to the "grown up" mass. Their spirituality can become stuck in adolencence and you find folks in their thirties and forties who still prefer the Life Teen format.
  • canadashcanadash
    A few years ago we were in transition from one priest to another. Our priest became very ill and had to leave and we had an interim priest. He suggested we didn't need a "Lifeteen" Mass or a "Youth Group." His perspective, which was from outside the parish, was that we had a lot of youth who participated and attended Mass, by singing in choirs and serving. They were active in parish life, not at one particular Mass.
  • Our Parish has a very active "young adult/youth" choir that is absolutely beautiful. I actually don't think it is specifically a young adult choir, but it seems as if most of them are. The music sung is absolutely beautiful, and one of the young men in it has learned to play the organ and plays it from time to time (and does an awesome job at it as well).

So with that, I agree with what canadash said above... no need for a specific Mass. The youth will participate where they feel welcomed, and I think can appreciate sacred, beautiful music from what they have learned about it.