Music for Pentecost
  • JennyJenny
    I found out several months ago that a nearby parish would be having Mass in the EF at some point. I am friends with the pastor there and (rashly) volunteered myself to help provide music. (The choir at that parish is just short of scary-bad). He said 'sure' even though my only claim to fame is that I'm interested and I've attended the CMAA Colloquium the last two years. That was the end of it until yesterday when he told me that the first EF Mass will be on Pentecost. That's only 2 months from now! I really thought I 'd get more time but here we are.

I know we have to keep it simple. It would be bad to over-reach and mess it up.

Here's what I have:

1. All the books with the Propers
    2. Two friends who, along with me, practiced as a 'garage schola' and learned the Orbis Factor Mass chants last year.
    3. More confidence than I'm likely entitled to

My questions:

1. I doubt that we (whoever 'we' turns out to be at this point) can learn all the Propers in time. Which should we focus on? I'm thinking the Introit for sure.

2. What about the parts that we aren't able to learn? Can we substitute an easier Communio (or whatever part) from another date? Is it allowed to substitute a different piece like 'Veni creator spiritus'? I know everything has to be in Latin.

I think the priest will be OK with whatever we are able to do (he loves chant!) but I'm not sure that he knows all the musical 'rubrics'.

Thanks for any/all advice. Apparently our new Archbishop is very much behind this new project. This could be a great thing for our area and I don't want to be a stumbling block.
  • mahrt
    One does not have a choice of propers for the EF; you may not substitute any other texts for the prescribed ones. You may, however, sing those texts to simpler melodies. In the old days, it was quite common to sing the propers to psalm tones, such as you can see in the "Rossini propers" to be found on our web-site. These are far from ideal, but it is not a bad idea to make sure that whatever propers are sung in their real Gregorian form are done well. For Pentecost, I would really try to do the communion, which is such a unique piece. The sequence must be done, and it does not do so well in psalm tones; you might look to learning that. If I were you, I would sing through all the propers, and give them a couple of weeks or even a month, before deciding which ones to do and which ones to sing in a simpler form.
  • “Mahrt” is a much more qualified authority than myself to answer this kind of question, but I would add to the discussion: if the Pentecost Mass in question is to be a low Mass, does this not extend, implicitly or no, greater permissibility to texts besides the assigned Propers?

IIRC, the 1958 music/liturgy instruction explicitly sanctions something along this line....? Even vernacular hymns?
  • JennyJenny
    Thank you for your suggestions. (Wow! Dr. Mahrt answers questions on the board!) Using the psalm tones for part of the Propers is an excellent idea for us as beginners. Coincidentally, the Sequence was the first thing I noticed when I was perusing the Propers. I started yesterday :)
  • G
    So the Graduale Simplex can only be used in the OF?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    hmm, came out in 1967, before the Bugnini liturgy but after the 1965 transitional missal.
  • I used to think that, too, G, but as Jeffrey points out, the first edition of the GS came out in 1967. I believe it was intended for the 1962/1965/pre-1969 Missal(s) - all of which used (IIRC?) the same liturgical calendar, so there should be no logistical problem of using the 1967 GS with the 1962 Missal, the way there is with using the OF Order of Readings with the 1962 Missal.

In fact, since the GS is not really a book of “propers” (in that “proper” means meant for a specific day), I would think there are very few changes between its first and second editions.

The edition of the Graduale Simplex for the modern rite didn’t come out until the 1980s, IIRC.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    From a utilitarian standpoint, you might consider using organ accompaniment. It does work, and it can sound quite beautiful as well - if done right. That having been said, the following suggestions would sound good either way, but might work better with the organ.

1) The "Introit" is not all that difficult - the Psalm verse and Gloria Patri are already set to simple Psalm tones. The repeat of the Antiphon could also be done "recto tono" as shown in the Rossini book. This might sound more interesting with the organ than without, but it would save time, and move on to the "Kyrie".

2) The two "Alleluia" verses after the Epistle are beautiful, and I quite agree with Dr. Mahrt that the people can/should sit back and meditate to them. But here is a day that includes a Sequence - a rarity since the Council of Trent which edited thousands of Sequences out of the Mass and into history. This one is also know as the "Golder Sequence" because of its beauty and its ultimate structure as a Sequence hymn. It is a hymn, after all, and many congregations chant it even in the OF Mass, in either Latin or English. So this might be a good time to simplify the two Alleluias and concentrate on the Sequence. One way would be to use the melismatic first "Alleluia", but then use the proper Psalm tone for both Alleluia verses, then continue on to the Sequence.

3) The Offertory is not really difficult either. And it is short enough to be followed by a Latin motet or hymn, especially if there will be incense.

4) I also agree with Dr. Mahrt that the Communion Antiphon should be chanted in its melismatic form - it really is beautiful. We only have Low Mass every week at my parish, but I have been chanting (accompanying myself on the organ) the Introit as prelude music and the Communion before the congregation hymn for a couple of years now. I am almost positive that Psalm verses may be added in the EF Mass, so here is a suggestion: Chant the Antiphon as is; sing 1 Psalm verse in the appropriate Gregorian tone; chant another verse in a complimenting Anglican single chant. Repeat the Antiphon and add more verses, in pairs, as needed, always closing with the Antiphon once more. In a large church there should still be time for a Latin Communion hymn. Remember that the music can continue all the way through the ablutions, which are done only by the priest.

Again, all of the above can be sung without accompaniment, even the Anglican chant. But if you want some help putting tones together, and finding good, modal accompaniments, feel free to send me an email privately.
  • mahrt
    It is true that the Graduale Simplex was issued in the time that the Tridentine rite was still being celebrated, but so was Musicam Sacram, the document that authorized the use of alius cantus aptus—hymns, or anything else deemed appropriate. This was a far cry from the discipline of the Missal of 1962. Now the EF is to observe the rubrics of the 1962 Missal and surely not those of the post-conciliar Tridentine usage, which experienced quite a few changes during the period 1964-1970, including the introduction of the GS. So I would say that the GS, insofar as it proposes other texts than the proper texts of the 1962 Missal cannot be used for the EF now.

The low Mass is another matter; Pius XII's document, De musica sacra et sacra liturgia, Sept. 3, 1958 will be very useful for the EF (it can be read on the Adoremus web-site). Paragraph 33 says "The faithful may sing hymns during low Mass, if they are appropriate to the various parts of the mass," and this includes vernacular hymns.
  • mahrt
    P.S. Pius XII, De musica sacra also authorizes the use of additional psalm verses for the introit and communion, and the melismatic verses of the offertory sung in the Middle Ages (now available in the Offertoriale triplex).