Duties of a Deacon
  • G
    Forgive me for starting a new thread, I really did try to use the search function, but technidiot that I am, cannot find this.

Someone mentioned a ceremonial outlining the duties of the diaconate, and included a reference to teaching the Faithful the chants, or something to that ffect?
    I am fairly certain it was on this forum.
    I would be grateful for the reference.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Paul F. Ford
    There is nothing in the diaconate rite about this. But deacons are always instituted readers and it IS in the rite for readers:

5. The reader is appointed for a function proper to him, that of reading the word of God in the liturgical assembly. Accordingly, he is to read the lessons from sacred Scripture, except for the gospel, in the Mass and other sacred celebrations; he is to recite the psalm between the readings when there is no psalmist; he is to present the intentions for the general intercessions in the absence of a deacon or cantor; he is to direct the singing and the participation by the faithful; he is to instruct the faithful for the worthy reception of the sacraments. He may also, insofar as necessary, take care of preparing other faithful who by a temporary appointment are to read the Scriptures in liturgical celebrations. That he may more fittingly and perfectly fulfill these functions, let him meditate assiduously on sacred Scripture. Let the reader be aware of the office he has undertaken and make every effort and employ suitable means to acquire that increasingly warm and living love and knowledge of Scripture that will make him a more perfect disciple of the Lord.

Ministeria Quaedam, Apostolic Letter Issued Motu Proprio, August 15, 1972 by POPE PAUL VI
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    From SACRUM DIACONATUS ORDINEM 1967:

10. To this moreover should be added practice and training in teaching the elements of the Christian religion to children and other faithful, in familiarizing the people with sacred chant and in directing it, in reading the sacred books of Scripture at gatherings of the faithful, in addressing and exhorting the people, in administering the sacraments which pertain to them, in visiting the sick, and in general in fulfilling the ministries which can be entrusted to them.
  • Paul F. Ford
    To my shame I confess I had not seen this document, Jeffrey. Thanks.
  • G
    Many thanks!

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Paul, if I felt shame about all the bits of knowledge I lack in passing, I would never show my face in public. The great thing about this community is precisely its technological capacity for sharing knowledge. Every bit added leads to a larger whole.