Sacred Music Retreat--Mundelein, IL--June 20-27
  • Heath
    Dear colleagues,

I just contacted the Liturgical Institute in Mundelein to register for their annual Sacred Music Retreat this coming June (can't make it out to Pitt for the Colloquium, unfortunately); my contact informed me that enrollment has been pretty low the past few years since the Colloquium was during the same week in the same city. She mentioned that if it doesn't pick up this year, they will consider discontinuing it.

This would be quite a shame; I attended the first one 4 years ago and enjoyed it very much, and I've heard it's gotten better each year. The campus is extraordinarily beautiful and peaceful, the facilities are good, the staff is top-notch, and the fellow retreatants are a joy to meet. Plus, this year, our esteemed colleague Kevin Allen will be the choirmaster . . . the registration fee is well-spent if only to get to know this fine musician!

And so, **if you are located in the Midwest, and are not planning on heading out to Pittsburgh, please consider attending this event this year!*** It would be a tragedy if it disappeared . . .

*Oh yes, Archbishop Chaput will be making a cameo as well!*

Info here:

http://www.usml.edu/liturgicalinstitute/conferences/music%20retreat%202010/sacred%20music%20home%202010.htm
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    i hope folks support this.
  • marajoymarajoy
    "enrollment has been pretty low the past few years since the Colloquium was during the same week in the same city. She mentioned that if it doesn't pick up this year, they will consider discontinuing it."

uhh...why don't they change the week?
  • chonakchonak
    There are so many fine events going on in a short period: this retreat, the Colloquium, the Organ Historical Society convention (also in Pgh during the colloquium week), programs at Collegeville, the Ward method courses in DC, and the Chant Institute at St. Joseph's College. Maybe some adjustment in the scheduling would help.
  • G
    I have attended in the past, and can't say enough good about this.
    (and join with those who wish it weren't concurrent with the Colloquium)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!