O Sacrum Convivium (SSAATTBB and accomp) : by Koerber
  • Chris
    That was really interesting, Francis, and I enjoyed listing to it. I think it's perfectly accessible and you shouldn't change a thing. I also like your key signature better than Messian's! My choir is presenty in the middle of learning good-old-Olivier's setting for Corpus Christi, and the key really makes it a work-out for us!
  • francis
    Hi Chris:

I didn't mean I was going to change this one. I really like this one as is too. I just meant I have similar (simpler) versions on the way that are easy for small ensembles based upon the same composition.

I was trying to find OM's score online, but I imagine it is still in copyright.
  • francis
    fixed broken link. you can hear this, but you have to have the flash pluggin.
  • francis
    bumped because now the score is available for free. see links above.
  • francis
    bumping as this score is now available
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    Nice music, but in this neck of the woods, any church choirmaster who can rely on enough tenors for two separate tenor parts is, as Kipling would put it, "a better man than I am, Gunga Din."
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Spriggo
  • francis
    Hi RJ.

Yea, it may be once the church returns from musical exile that it can receive a just performance (maybe even after I am dead and gone). But as you know, composers shoot for the ideal. I think there is a Cathedral in the East US that may have performed this when I first composed it.

The nice thing about that piece is you can eliminate the T1 as that part pretty much doubles a part occurring somewhere else in the score. In fact, you could eliminate all the doubling and probably have it as an SATB. Perhaps I will put that out at some point.

Thanks for the review.

GD
  • francis
    Hi RJ:

I looked at that piece again. Because of the homophonic texture and doubling, I was easily able to reduce it to SSAATBB and it could easily be reduced even further. I saved the new version and will post it at some point.
  • francis
    RJ (et al):

I have reduced this piece to an alternative SSAATB version (for those choirs who are male starved).

Here is a simulation:

http://myopus.com/preview/oSacrumSSAATB.mp3

Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • R J StoveR J Stove
    I listened to this. Thanks. Yes, I don't think that the new version sounds hollowed out in any way.
  • francis
    bump. new music in the sacred tradition should not be left unsung or unheard just because it is new. (or left in burried archival threads).

NOTE: My music was offered to the public for free for a number of years. Then I changed my strategy and created a self-publishing website (MyOpus.com) in order to begin receiving compensation for my works. Thank you for your support.