Several questions
  • Jevoro
    I should exchange my name by: unfluentenglishbadlywhriting.

I have some questions:

First of all, i don't know current abreviations here:

OF EF SSPX AGO DOM CPDL for example.

Is there e reprint of "Theodore Marier Hymns, Psalms and Spiritual Canticles." in (State's) view?

Is there some people composing on "unavoce"d latin (neogregorianic) chant?
  • francis
    yes to composing.
  • OF = Ordinary Form (of the Mass)
    EF = Extraordinary Form (of the Mass also known as Tridentine)
    CPDL = Choral Public Domain Library www.cpdl.org
    DOM = Director of Music (a commonly used title at parishes in the U.s.)
    SSPX = Society of St. Pius X
    AGO = American Guild of Organists

Hope this helps :)

Janet.
  • GavinGavin
    OF: Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite, aka "Novus Ordo"
    EF: Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite, aka "Tridentine Mass"
    SSPX: Society of St. Pius X, a schismatic traditionalist group
    AGO: American Guild of Organists
    DOM: I'm guessing stands for Director of Music, although I use MD, Music Director
    CPDL: Choral Public Domain Library, an internet site containing thousands of scores of choral music for free download
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Jevoro, what is your primary language?

Here's some definitions:

OF - "Ordinary Form" of the Roman Rite (Missal of Paul VI or Missal 1970), also known variously as the "Novus Ordo"
    EF - "Extraordinary Form" of the Roman Rite (Missal of Blessed John XXIII or Missal 1962), also known as the TLM (Traditional Latin Mass) or Tridentine Rite
    SSPX - Society of St. Pius the Tenth (X), a group of bishops, priests and laity with an attachment to the Missal 1962. There are many issues connected with this group that I'll not go into here, including their relationship with the Holy See. (If anyone else wants to field this one, be my guest. It's a hot potato . . . tossing it right into your laps!)
    DOM or DM - Director of Music
    CPDL - Choral Public Domain Library, an online resource for downloadable, printable music in the public domain.

Other odd abbreviations you may encounter: BTW (by the way), ISTM (it seems to me), IIRC (if I recall correctly).

Don't let yourself get distracted by these things, just enjoy reading and contributing!
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    LOL

Well, there's nothing like everyone being helpful all at once, now is there!
  • Jevoro
    Thanks so much realy..

Now i know better what this abreviations do mean...

My frst language? Luxembourgian, a german dialect... just learned to listen and to speak in this one. In school we had german to read and w(h?)rite. French when I was 8... i had latin when i was 13 and some english when i was 15 years old. I had some grec and hebrew when i studied theology.
  • Jevoro...

My husband's family is from Trier... I learned the "Platt-Deutsch" from my husband's family... maybe it is somewhat similar?
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    But what is LOL? (kidding, LOL)

Don't forget another I've seen here, PIP, which I gather means People in the Pews.
  • Jevoro
    I even don't know what Pews does mean... Should have a look for some dictionnary if i'll persevere here...
    LOL? Even european people knows now that it is meaning lots of laughing...

With my german friend from near Trier i speak in my platt and he does in his one and we agree... Trier was quite important for the Caecilienverein, Hermesdorff, influenced by the french restaurator Lambillotte, began publishing an interesseting Graduale before Solesmes and was the teatcher of Peter Wagner. But he could not finish the publication, he was too ill...
  • Dat kann aich glaewen... (don't know the correct --if there is one --spelling for Platt lol)

Pews (the seats in the churches on which people sit) :)

Janet.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Jevoro,

Welcome! One of my great-great grandmothers was from Niederfeulen, and I also have ancestors from Eschdorf, Brouch, and one of the Boevanges (which one, I haven't figured out yet). I had the opportunity to visit Luxembourg some eight years ago to do genealogical research, and may I say that you live in a beautiful country! :-)
  • Jscola30
    There is no reprint for Hymns, Psalms and Spiritual Canticles, and good luck finding a second hand copy, especially the organ/choral edition. The Boston Archdio. Choir School at St. Paul Parish, where the hymnal originated, has been looking for them for years. Rumor is that when the new translation of the Mass is finished, a new edition will be printed. In the meantime, the Adoremus Hymnal by Ignatius Press has his "English Chant Mass" as well as several of Dr. Marier's chant harminzations, and the St. Michael Hymnal has three of the Gospel acc. every once in a while, one might pop up, check www.bookfinder.com , it allows you to check used book stores all at once, check ebay as well and these forums. Other books you might find interesting are the St. Pius X hymnal, a pre-Vatican II Marier helped edit as well as the Cantus Populi, the pre-cursor to HSPC. Some of Marier's beautiful neo-Gregorian Psalms are found here.
  • Jscola30
    DOM could also refer to the title of Benedictine religious brothers, as in Dom. Gagne
  • Jevoro
    Moïe Janet...

Dat hun ech gudd verstaan...

But i'm no longer living in Luxembourg, i live in France. In the Lot... nice country, too...

American should provide the reprint of HPSC (HS?PC) i think... or put it on the net...
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    believe me, we've explore this at incredible length. just not possible until there is some change at the copyright holding institution.
  • Jevoro
    i believe... you never go to sleep, Jeffrey?
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Jeffrey is probably "geared up" for Colloquium year round! If you've never been to one, you should try it. The point is that there is as much information exchanged casually after midnight as there is formally around noon-time!
  • Jevoro
    What does "gear" mean? "year round"? Round the clock? What should i try?
  • francis
    definition : geared up

energized about everything that he is involved with.
  • Jevoro
    I think "gären" (to go in fermentation?) is the same word. I get quite involved in liturgical questions, but that doesn't avoid me from sleeping.
  • "Jeffrey is probably "geared up" for Colloquium year round! If you've never been to one, you should try it. The point is that there is as much information exchanged casually after midnight as there is formally around noon-time!"

Post warning: the following comment is likely neither intelligent nor civil.

Ditto cubed to the above quote. My first was last summer. We nightly solved most of the liturgical, theological, socialogical, political, and metaphysical problems that vex the universe and mostly in our churches; oh, and music dilemmas too! MaryAnn from San Diego and a nice young priest with military experience were of particular value to the processes.
    Trouble is, by evening's end as we wandered randomly off to the cold floors of the dorm rooms (I'm gonna do a Jeff Keyes this year with my wife, a suite in the nearest hotel!) the wine kicked in and we had to start over the next evening.
    Assuming we'll follow the same protocols in Chicago, I think that it might be useful, knowing in advance we won't remember our nightly, elegant solutions and resolve, that we erect a facsimile of the famous "Burning Man" structure down by lakeside, only we'll add a real guitar (I'll bring one of mine if no one else offers,) and then set it alight after evensong of the penultimate day, whaddy'all say?
    P.S. We can chant the Pie Jesu ala the Pythons and overlay "Sons of God" while it burns, and then launch into Te Deum upon its collapse!
  • Jevoro
    Now i understand. But even on gregorianik sessions or camps, i sleep well the night. I hated the scouts excursions by night when iwas young.
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    Charles,

I'll sing the Pie Jesu, but for some strange reason I'm having misgivings about us smacking ourselves in the head with wooden boards.... :-D
  • Jevoro
    Burning men? Fetichical practise in colloquiums of musica sacra?
  • Dear Friend Jevoro,
    The "Burning Man" phenomenon in the US is basically a hedonistic free-for-all gathering of old hippies, druggies, bikers and neo-pagans somewhere in the desert outside of Las Vegas, Nevada. They erect a large wooden structure that resembles a human and torch it. Gives them a reason to engage in massive substance abuse and rampant nudity.
    Ergo, NO, we don't engage in such facetious or fetish-laden practices at CMAA colloquia. We're just occasionally facetious here on the boards!
    Think of the neo-Druids at Glastonbury and Stonehenge in the UK on Solstice nights, parading around like satyrs and muses. That sort of stuff might happen at the Anaheim RE congress or at NPM events, not at CMAA.:-p
  • Chris
    Cher Jevoro,
    (Dear Jevoro,)
    Bienvenue a notre organization et a cette 'website'! Si on peut vous aider, ca sera une grande plaisire pour moi. Je
    (Welcome to our organization and to this website! If I can help you in any way, it would be a great pleasure for me.)
    suis, aussi, un neuveau member de CMAA, et ma francais est (evidemente) tres mauvais, mais on essayerai!
    (I am also a new member of CMAA, and my french is (apparently) very bad, but I will try my best!)

Je suis sure que tout le monde ici voudrait d'entendre de votre experience des liturgies roman (les Messes) en France.
    (I'm sure that everyone here would be curious to hear about the current state of the Roman Liturgy in France.)
    Salut!
  • francis
    Hi Chris:

Tell us, please, about the current state of RCL in France. I have heard no one attends Mass there. Is that true?
  • Chris
    Hi Francis,

I'm happy to chat with you again. I just finished listening to your "Ego Sum Panis Vivus." It's really quite lovely.

It's been a few years since my last trip to France, but when I was there in 2000 on tour, the Masses I went to were sparsely attended. The "high" OF Masses seemed to have the largest gatherings of the faithful, which meant the churches were 30-40% full. Latin was used exclusively at these Masses for the ordinaries. I have a buddy who is an organ curator in Paris, and he recently confirmed to me that things haven't changed much since then. I guess I'm hoping our new friend Jevoro can shed some light on the subject from current first-hand experiences.

Cheers!
  • G
    Oooh, a guitar burning? Count me in!
    (Before anyone get his knickers in a knot, I'm not serious, I love guitar...)
    Chris, one of my brothers says he loves it on the rare occasions when his parish coir sings chant, but regrets that he cannot overcome the urge to smack himself in the head with a hymnal while listening to it.

(Save the liturgy, save the World)
  • francis
    I have a 1969 Rosewood Martin D1235, and it is incredibly beautiful in tone, but I never play it anymore so I am thinking of selling it.
  • francis
    Chris:

The Ego Sum is 24 hours new and you may have been the first to hear it. I really like the way that one turned out. (thanks incantu for the suggestion!) Those ancient texts are just unbeatable, and I think the Cherubim and Seraphim use those latin translations up in heaven for their liturgies!
  • Jevoro
    Francis: Do you know the researches of Dom Jean Claire on the "modes"? It would be interesting for your work on the eight (classical) modes. There is a simple book of Dom Saulnier vulgarisating it.

Chris: En France, en ville il y a de plus en plus de latin, de chant grégorien, des liturgies soignées, mais à la campagne, c'est dur dur...
  • francis
    Hi Jevoro:

No. I have been wading through book after book for the past couple of years, purchased a few, go online, etc. and I don't find anything that is compact and straightforward. Can you direct me to this work?
  • Francis,
    Hold onto the Martin, period. My '78 Larivee custom cutaway's going in the casket wi' me. (When Jean Larivee was still in Toronto!)
    Charles
  • Jevoro
    I'm not competent on this (very difficult, uncompact, incohaerent) question, i'm afraid.
    J'ai bien peur de ne pas être compétent pour ces questions difficile et imprécis sur les modes.
    The eight modes is/was a classification (in two senses: get the music become classical, input the music in the eight classic grec modes and so class the pieces of music for psalmody) of unclassified (in both senses) music in the carolingian reform (around 800).
    Les huit modes, sont une classicification qu'ont subi les pièces de chant grégorien (au plus tard) lors de la renaissance carolingienne. Classification dans deux sens, si l'on veut: Ces pièces de musiques sont classées en huit modes pour pouvoir enchainer le psaume dnas le bon mode, et cette musique et rendue classique en l'adaptant à cette grammaire ou ce langage musical.
    Dom Clair speaks of primitives modes bevore. A little bit like in the ambrosian music: The note of recitation (dominante) (his position in the diatonic game) is important, and less the finale. So there are three mother-recitations: "cordes mères". C (Ut/do, but also fa (with Si bémol, and sol (with fa dièze)) D (re, sol with si bémol and la (eventually with fa dièze)) and E (mi, la with si bémol and si).
    C'est Dom Cardine qui parle de modes primitifs avant cette classification: Mode de Do (C), de Re (D) et de Mi (E). La Finale est moins importante dans cette classification. Mais la note de récitation, et sa position dans la game diatonique, position relative au demi-ton est déterminante. Si le demi-ton se trouve en dessous de la note de récitation, la corde mère de récitation est Do (C), c'est le cas de Do (C) bien sûr ou Fa (F). Si le demiton se trouve juste en-dessus, on est en Mi (E), c'est le cas des cordes de récitation de Mi (E) de Si (h) et de La (A)(avec si bémol). Et si le demiton se trouve à un ton au-dessus de la récitation, on est en Re (D). C'est le cas de Re (D), ou Sol (G avec si bémol) et La (A).
    One of the best examples this researches explain is the Resurrexi-introïtus of Easter going quite wrong with the actual mode it has been classified in. It never recites on his modally imposed dominante.
    Un des meilleurs exemples de pièces grégoriennes échappant/étranger à la classification en huit modes, et mieux compréhensible avec les modes primitifs de Dom Claire, c'est le Resurrexi de Pâques qui ne récite jamais sur la note de récitation que lui attribuerait le mode dans lequel il a été classé à cause de sa finale...

Besides that, if you polyphony on the modes, you put them (affront them with) a language quite strange for them. Some modes accomodate well with polyphonie (V (introduce some si bémol) and VIII (introduce some fa dièze) assimilable on majors/dur and I and II (introduce somme do dièze) assimilable to minors/moll), but the modes invertising the chromatical sensible (mode IV and III with their love in fa-mi do-si instead of the sensibility of classical polyphonie: si-do and mi-fa) are quite incompatible with classical polyphonie...
    Si on veut harmoniser (fair jouer de la polyphonie classique sur) les huit modes, on les affronte à un langage musical, en majeur et en mineur, qui leur est particulièrement étranger. Il y a quelques modes qui s'en accommodent très bien. Le Ve (avec si bémol) par exemple et le VIII (avec une petite sensible de fa dièze) passent facilement pour des tons majeurs. Ou le I et II mode (avec une sensible en do dièze) passent pour des mineurs. Mais les modes III et IV avec leur prédilection pour une sensible chromatiquement invertie (do sensible vers si et fa sensible vers mi au lieu de si sensible vers do ou mi sensible vers fa) sont assez incompatibles avec les tonalités de la polyphonie classique... (Faudra aller voir du côté de Debussy)

(little remark on your "Ego sum": Quite strange, the underlying text in the middle: "Ego sum panis vivus; manducaverit." (I'm the living bread; he eat: it doesn't work in latin that doesn't mean: I'm the living bread that he (somebody) eat) Does the music (de)serve the text or is the text a pretext (de)serving for the music?)

Hope you will be able to translate my broken english in somme correct one.
  • francis
    Hi Jevaro:

I am very interested in what you are writing, but, forgive me, I cannot understand your English. Perhaps you can send me the french and I will put it in a translator or something.

As per 'Ego Sum" Here is the text as on cpdl.

Original text and translations

Original text: Latin text
    Ego sum panis vivus,
    qui de caelo descendi.
    Si quis manducaverit ex hoc pane,
    vivet in aeternum,
    alleluia.

Translation(s): English translation
    I am the living bread which came down from heaven.
    Whosoever shall eat of this bread shall live forever,
    alleluia.

The phrase, 'Ego sum panis vivus' is clear.
    I am trying to get a litteral translation of the word 'manducaverit'
    Can anyone enlighten us?
  • gregpgregp
    francis, it's 3rd person singular, either the future perfect indicative active or the perfect subjunctive active (my memories of Latin conditional statements are very fuzzy). But the subject of the verb is 'quis' (shortened from 'aliquis' after 'si'). Anyway, 'shall eat' is close enough.
  • francis
    Hi Gregp:

Are you saying 'manducaverit' literally means 'shall eat'? And if so, would it perhaps be better to revise the phrase to 'quis manducaverit', meaning 'you shall eat'? The text must be served! Especially THIS issue of the flesh of Jesus. (Thank you, Jevaro, for making this point!)
  • gregpgregp
    No, 3rd person singluar, not 2nd, so "he/she/it will eat" rather than "you will eat". "(Ali)quis" means "whoever" or "anyone who". So being more literal, "si quis manducaverit ex hoc pane" means, "if anyone shall eat of this bread", and "vivet in aeternum" continues as "he will live forever".
  • francis
    So 'manducaverit' literally means, 'he/she/it will eat'? (does anyone know a good latin/engish website... I cannot seem to find one on the whole dang www!)
  • Jevoro
    "Ego sum panis vivus ad manducandum" would may be mean "I'm the bread you shall eat." But that changes all the text.

Sorry for my english, too... see the french translation of what i wanted to say inline soon (i know, you like inlines, francis...)
  • gregpgregp
    "So 'manducaverit' literally means, 'he/she/it will eat'? "
    To make a long story short, yes.

"(does anyone know a good latin/engish website..."
    The best I've found is:
    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/resolveform?lang=Latin
  • francis
    Very good, my dear scholars. It seems that the word by itself is a complete thought on its own, yes?
  • G
    If anyone "will have eaten"
  • francis
    Another scholar joins the frey! We welcome your input, G.

Could you help decide what would be the proper phrase of latin without any alterations in the original text (see above)?
  • Jevoro
    Ego (i)
    sum (am)
    panis (the bread)
    vivus (living)
    qui (who)
    de (from)
    caelo (heaven)
    descendi. (came down)
    Si (If)
    quis (someone)
    manducaverit (would eat)
    ex (from)
    hoc (this)
    pane, (bread)
    vivet (he'll live)
    in (for)
    aeternum, (eternity)
    alleluia.

I can't see any text-preserving solution... to say "I'm the living bread you should eat." A music preserving solution would be "Ego sum panis vivus" "qui descendi" (with some melodical ligatures: "Syneresis"), may be Ego sum panis vivus alleluia...
  • francis
    How about

Si quis manducaverit
  • Jevoro
    That sounds better than just "manducaverit", but "si quis manducaverit" doesn't work without objekt (eat what???) in latin, i think, but i'm not sure. "Quis" can not be the objekt, it is no relative, it is just 'somebody'.
  • francis
    Thank you Jevoro for sticking with me to work this out!

what about

si qui manducarerit

I want to beg the question,

who would eat?!

This would be a play on the words, as when jesus ran into difficulty when he said, "unless you eat of my flesh...", and then everyone thought he was crazy. "How can we eat your flesh?!" Therefore, the words would be asking if anyone would eat... who would eat? who would eat? who would eat?

(we should have stuck all this collaborating under the right thread... It really didn't belong on this post. I wonder if Jeff can move our chicken scratch over under the Ego Sum thread. Jeff?)
  • Jevoro
    You want to say: "I'm the living bread you should eat? you may eat?"
    Ego sum panis vivus quem (quod?) maduca(bi)tis.
    But ask a better latinist, what he thinks.

Ego sum panis vivus ad manducandum was for: i'm the living bread which (that?) should be eaten.

Before i vorget: In Deus meus, t.49 the isolated (subjektless) "meus" in S/A is strange. Do you want to repeat: "me" (Why did you leave me... ...me)? You may anticipate also "Deus": "My God... ...my god why did you leave me?"