EF 2nd Vespers on Pentecost question
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    My schola will be singing 2nd vespers from the Liber Usualis on Pentecost Sunday coming up. We have been using the new Antiphonale Romanum II, so the extraordinary form is less familiar.

Is the Commemoration of the Cross sung/said on Whitsunday? The Liber reads at the end of Sunday at Vespers:

"The Suffrage of All the Saints is said on Sundays of semi-double rite,
    except during Advent, Passiontide, and Paschal Time. It is omitted if
    there be a Commemoration of a double feast or of an Octave."

And later:

"In Paschal Time, this Suffrage [of the Saints] is replaced by the Commemoration of the
    Cross which is said according to the same rubrics."

Pentecost is a I Class Sunday, Feast and Octave. It is in Pascal Time. There is no proper commemoration listed for 2nd vespers of Whitsunday.
  • Jeffrey MorseJeffrey Morse
    Dan, all those commemorations were done away with in 1955 I believe, and are definitely not part of the 1962 office. Part of the confusion is that Solesmes never updated the editions after this, partly I believe, because it would have been costly to re-set the type. So Vespers ends in the regular way- after the Magnificat, collect, benedicamus, fidelium animae, finished!
  • Jeffrey MorseJeffrey Morse
    Dan, all those commemorations were done away with in 1955 I believe, and are definitely not part of the 1962 office. Part of the confusion is that Solesmes never updated the later editions of the LIBER after 1955 (except for new Holy Week, and a few other things), partly I believe, because it would have been costly to re-set the type. So Vespers ends in the regular way- after the Magnificat, collect, benedicamus, fidelium animae, finished!
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Ah! Thanks, Jeffrey!
  • Michael O'Connor
    Well you can always sing the Marian antiphon at the end if Compline does not immediately follow.
  • The Suffrages were omitted on double feasts, so Pentecost never faced this problem.