EXCLAMATION! The 2010 BILAC Registration Statement
  • Charles in CenCA
    This, in its own way, is as astounding to me as the video of the Megachurch thread.
    I received the registration form for the Marianist Big Island Liturgy Conference today. Opposite the address page was the statement, or prose in a box.
    I went to the website, trying to find a citation of its author, unsuccessfully. Even googled the title to no end.

Now, I don't have much of an axe to grind about BILAC. It's been around for over three decades. No one's died, Pele hasn't erupted, much therapeutic massage has ensued. But this I've never read before:

Ho'omalamalama ia kakou
    (Enlighten us)
    author not cited

Enlighten us to see how the Lord embraced diversity! Illuminate cultural adaptations so that it can be celebrated!
    Shed light so that unity may be found in diversity! Brighten up the path that surrounds diversity so we can see its strength!
    Inform those bent on conformity without diversity!
    Conformity kills, diversity gives life! This is enlightenment.
    Let the light shine on those insisting on conformity in the Church!
    Illuminate the beauty in diversity; let it be seen as a strength in our world, in our church! (note "c" v "C" in prior line)
    Let the many cultural differences among us brighten up the path to Unity!
    Conformity was not a strong point in the ministry of Jesus; rather, He embraced those who were not to be touched!
    Enlighten us to see the pain caused by those insisting on conformity!
    Inform us about the poor, the rejected, those who can't speak for themselves, and may we embrace this diversity!
    Give us the insight to when differences are beautiful!
    May we be informed by the diversity rejected by those who insist on conformity!
    Each culture adds something of great value when brought in to enhance the unity of each Church! (?)
    The Human Family is ONE, but made up of so many diverse cultures!
    One mind, one heart, one faith, one baptism- but many gifts, many talents, and many hands working together for Unity in Love!
    Diversity is not an enemy, inform us to see it's true beauty that works toward unity!
    Let the light shine on the different gifts that make up the One Church!
    Let us see how many ideas, many different ways of thinking, and different ways of doing something can be the real spice of Life! (really?)
    Show us the way to celebrate the many that leads to the ONE!
    Let us see that diversity is a gift that celebrates the Human Family!

Is this a shot across a bow? What the.....?
    http://www.marianisthawaii.org/mch_web_site_1_updated_6_08_004.htm
  • My first thought is Galatians 3:26-29.
  • Charles in CenCA
    And Dan, you see "no Jew or Greek" and "we are One in Christ" as contradictory to the BILAC manifesto, or edifying of it?
  • Contrary, or more specifically, that how we define ourselves culturally, physically, economically, etc, is irrelevent for entry to the kingdom of God. This is an organization trying to superimpose an earthly social agenda on to something that transcends all things of this world. Square pegs, round holes.
  • Charles in CenCA
    Oh good, again I'm not crazy or paranoid. Well, at least paranoid. ;-p
  • Kathy
    Well, this is good, cuz I was wondering what Enlightenment is. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Charles in CenCA
    I always aims to please, Grasshoppah.
    I will be sure to bring you a copy of "The Profit" by Gibhran whilst in SD.