Spanish-speaking congregations and the liturgy
  • AOZ
    I had a conversation today with a priest whose parish is largely Hispanic. Or perhaps exclusively Hispanic. He spoke of the liturgical troubles and pastoral sticking points he experiences not only in his parish, but in parishes across the country and throughout Latin America. A well-versed and traveled individual, he places a good deal of the blame on the Cursillo and charismatic movements that have taken hold in Spanish speaking communities. Of course the problem is multi-faceted. He mentioned a certain publisher in the Western US whose Spanish liturgical books are often put to use by those (usually volunteers) who head up music committees or groups. These books, of course, are based on a faulty theology.

There's not enough room here to go into all aspects - musical, liturgical, sociological, pastoral, but I think this could be an interesting discussion, and one that we should take seriously. A large number -perhaps the majority - of Catholics in the Western hemisphere are Spanish speaking. And what of their liturgies? Landmine after landmine of abuses and forgotten traditions, and about as far from rubrics and tradition as you can get. (There are certainly a few parishes out there that get it right. Those are not the ones I'm speaking of)

The CMAA spends a lot of time and energy on trying to make a difference in the Anglo world. I think that's a fair statement/criticism, btw. Of course our time and energies are limited, very limited. I know this about as well as anyone. But the problems are the same - perhaps different on the surface - culturally, sociologically, but the underlying problems are the same. It is one thing for us to publish English language material, and make arguments and promote the Latin. But what about reaching out to the many Spanish speaking pips, musicians, and clergy? Are we doing anything in this direction?

I offer no particular insights or solutions or strategies. But I thought it a good idea to open up a conversation and see where it goes.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • CharlesW
    I can only relate what has happened in the parish where I work. There are a couple of Hispanic congregations in my area. One is Mexican, the other primarily Guatemalan. I never realized it, but the two groups want nothing to do with each other. A former associate started Spanish masses for Guatemalans at my parish, but he was a rather wishy-washy individual who made no effort to get the main congregation to buy into the concept of Spanish masses. The Spanish masses were out of control and the dear Father tried to be Mother Teresa to everyone. Of course, that didn't succeed. Needless to say, there was chaos from the start. The Spanish masses had what was, in essence, a bar band providing music. The next associate and the current associate pastor, insisted the Spanish masses follow the rubrics, use the correct liturgical books, etc. Things have gotten better and the Guatemalans are making a concerted effort to fit into the parish. Some have stopped attending the Spanish masses and now attend the English masses, as their command of English has developed. I wouldn't say the music at the Spanish masses is great, but it is better. Leaders in the Hispanic community and in the parish are starting to cooperate with each other and find common ground and mutual interests. Our associate is pushing Latin as a common denominator when dealing with language barriers. It can work, but the realization has to be there that being Catholic trumps language and culture.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Kathy
    Arlene, I would quibble with the claim that the CMAA reaches out to the Anglo world. The amazing thing about the universality of chant is that it's not truly marketable to a niche group. The fact that chant is out and about has an effect on music all over. Although *most* music directors won't ever come to a colloquium, the success of the CMAA venues has already had an effect on the other summer study weeks.

A lot of us, including Charles the Sommelier and me, work with Spanish choirs. Although one of the major hymnals contains some liberation theology, that's not all there is. Still, the hymnals lean towards songs rather than Psalms.

What has struck me lately, though, is the use of Psalms with antiphons, in English, Latin and Spanish, as introits for major Masses involving bishops, especially the consecrations/ installations of bishops. including the two most recent episcopal installation Masses in Texas. I believe the introits for those two Masses were in Spanish.
  • eft94530eft94530
    AOZ: But what about reaching out to the many Spanish speaking

That is why the Document Literacy post has had pointers to documents in both English and Spanish
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2182
  • I enthusiastically hold that CMAA ought to reach out to all the Americas, and I have thought so for years.

That said, once you actually get south of the border you are in a musical and liturgical desert with precious few oases. Very, very few priests and musicians want proper music and liturgy, and those who do meet with, not so much resistance, as massive indifference and want of cooperation.

The uphill battle here is up a steeper hill than it is in the States.

Joseph Mansfield
    Casas Grandes
    Chihuahua
    México
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • AOZ
    Kathy, I don't really think there is anything to quibble about. Chant is intended for all audiences,and not a niche market. I was not trying to say that we are aiming chant at the Anglo market exclusively. I know we are of the same mind here. But compared to the English language resources we are offering (eft: thanks for commenting on the Documents Literacy post), and the fact that the website and even this forum are in English, it does appear that our concentration is not on Spanish speakers. Is that something we can do anything about right now? To be honest, I think we are doing all we can right now. All volunteer, no staff per se, limited resources of all kinds. I was merely passing on the impressions that were passed on to me. Valid observations all around.
  • There is a tremendous need for a spanish hymnal with liturgical music including chant in Latin and Spanish as well as decent hymns.

What is the source for readings in Spanish?

Talk about ridiculous situations: The Usccb site: "Where can I find the daily readings in Spanish?
    At present, this site is unable to post the daily readings in Spanish due to copyright considerations."

Yet, ETWN has them: http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/lecturas.htm
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    i wonder if the spanish language has nice hynms like this: http://www.gloria.tv/?media=65595&connection=corporate
  • eft94530eft94530
    frogman: What is the source for readings in Spanish?

The details are provided at
    http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1081
  • eft94530eft94530
    Before we repeat other Discussion materials,
    I encourage all to use the CMAA Forum Search button
    conveniently located at the top of each webpage.
  • No, and neither does the American Catholic Church...that's the product of the Anglican church.
  • CharlesW
    The Anglicans are truly the masters of hymnody. No one does it better.
  • Unfortunately, a search on the forum determines that there are three different Spanish language lectionaries extant and there is no clear link to the Mexican one from the USCCB site....and it makes no sense that the Catholic Bishops are unable or unwilling to negotiate an agreement with the approved one for access on their site...when ETWN does....but which one of the three is the one on ETWN?

Or, in a nutshell, why should it be so difficult to access the scripture of the Mass?
  • eft94530eft94530
    frogman: difficult to access

I do not know how EWTN makes the scriptures available.
    Are there Spanish Bible websites or CDs we can track down?
    I will start looking around; perhaps non-english non-USA websites have resources?

In other Forum Discussions, I stated the same thing (not available) about other USCCB liturgy-related materials.
    English: available PDF online for free, and available printed as a book for money.
    Espanol: available only as a book for money.
    I bet it ALL could be free if the CCHD funds were re-purposed for liturgy education;
    that would be real human development.
  • henry
    St. John Cantius (Chicago) will celebrate Mass in Spanish but with a Gregorian Chant Ordinary, I believe, on May 22nd. It seems they are trying to make some effort to reach the Hispanics.
  • Anhaga
    This year Easter Vigil Mass was the first time that my EF/OF parish started singing Gregorian Chant ordinary (in Latin) in Novus Ordo Mass. It was really nice setting for Holy Triduum because there were at least three large groups of peoples of different languages at the Mass: English, Spanish, Vietnamese, etc. I believe it is a fresh fruit of Pope Benedict XVI's motu proprio. If a pastor has a right understanding on liturgy and Church music, it is not entirely impossible to implement the universality, beauty and sacredness of Catholic faith in multi-lingual/cultural Catholic communities.
  • EFT's suggestion to search got me to this page:

http://musicasacra.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1081&page=1#Item_14

Which is worth looking into...Mexican readings and Spanish psalms. It's worth reading.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Watching youtube videos of Mass in Spanish from around the world show that the liturgies vary in musical quality as much as the US ones...lots of bad music and some, as Joseph has said, with very good usage of Gregorian Chant.

And "he places a good deal of the blame on the Cursillo and charismatic movements that have taken hold in Spanish speaking communities." applies to the US English parishes as these groups took over many parishes, alienating the traditional Catholics here.

I see the difficulty in reaching the Spanish population is the stereotyped misconception that this arm of the Church is full of illiterate, undocumented aliens. A real slap in the face to the many professional Hispanics that populate the US.

I can only imagine the difficulty in reaching these congregations with the Reform. Of course, it only takes a priest with conviction to make this happen.
    Thanked by 1HeitorCaballero
  • henry
    From my experience working in Hispanic parishes,I think the problem is the charismatic movements in thesse Hispanic communites, as proposed at the beginning of this thread.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Though it would appear to be off-topic, the charismatic movement in the english churches which broke down the wall between the people in the pews and the sanctuary eventually broke down and hauled off the communion rails.

It empowered people with little or no training or education to assume positions of power and influence in parishes, taking over portions of the role of the priest and removing him from his position of influence over the parish. As a result, many priests today bow to the thoughts and whims of lay people, especially in matters that involve "what the people think".

I cannot envision how this works out in the Hispanic community as it has to deal with the additional perception that they are unwanted, illegal, uneducated and so on. In so many parishes their Masses, like the EF, are shunted off to unpopular times.

How can we help.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • AOZ
    I think we've needed someone who understands the situation, and someone who can evaluate Spanish language material - musically, liturgically, and theologically. Someone who knows the different Latin communities and their strengths and struggles. I'm not saying more because I'm working on a hunch here. I can see identifying Spanish language resources - old and new- scanning them and putting them online for starters. We do this with English materials. We've just had to catch up. As of right now this area is untapped. Of course Gregorian chant must always retain its central role and can serve beautifully as the common denominator.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • I suggest we all pray that such a person appear.
  • a1437053a1437053
    Wish list:
    1. Something like a mirror to the NLM blog, key (music?) articles
    2. Something like a mirror to the MusicaSacra page, with resources
    3. PBC, tri-lingual edition, with all supporting PDFs
    4. A repository of resources for the Propers, a major research project here

One must differentiate that Spanish-speaking communities attempt to replicate what happens back home. Each region brings different trends that are then superimposed on US parishes and their trends. It will be interesting to see what the Spanish trained (Opus Dei) - Mexican born - Mexican-American (San Antonio) Archbishop will bring to Los Angeles.

Finally, this weekend I heard the following from a priest referring to the state of the liturgy:
    "In the Cristero's War, Mexicans died for the Mass (EF). How many would die for today's Mass?"
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • chonakchonak
    For #1: There already is a Polish counterpart to NLM: Nowy Ruch Liturgiczny. Similar initiatives in more languages would be a fine thing: Nuevo Movimiento Liturgico, I suppose?
  • a1437053a1437053
    Is the Polish site a new, independent entity?
  • chonakchonak
    The Polish site started in 2007 and contains content independent of the English site.
  • TCJ
    I have to work with a Mexican choir and it's, well, torture for me. The hymnal I have is mainly composed of songs that resemble waltzes, popular Mexican folk songs, Mariachi style music, and more upbeat Latin-style music. There are very few real hymns and every time I pick one, they all claim they've never done it before. Of course, that doesn't stop me from making them practice it, but it is rather discouraging trying to deal with the situation. At the moment, though, I feel that I cannot do much without the pastor's backing and I have the feeling that he has a "Let them do what they want, they are too far gone to help" attitude. Without him trying to teach them properly (they are awful in Church) I do not see myself as being able to change too much.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Hello, I realize I'm probably a little late to this discussion but it's better late than never.

I'm a Hispanic, Spanish speaking, volunteer (beginning) organist in his early 20's.
    I just want to say that I have been noticing the rapid decline in liturgical music (especially in Spanish) and am very much aware of the strong influence that a certain publisher in the Western US has had on music.

Why is it so hard to find any decent liturgical music in Spanish? Modern English liturgical music and masses may not be what it used to be, but at least we still have access to more traditional options. Whereas when it comes to Spanish, close to all of the "hymns" you will usually hear have been written within the past 50 years or so. This lead to me asking myself the following question: What did Spanish speaking communities have for music before the 1960's? Did they not have music at all? It would seem that way since there are very little resources in that department.

I feel that the publishing of many of this modern music is being overseen by (no offense to anyone) non-Spanish speaking Americans who have never heard traditional Mexican liturgical music and know very little about the culture.

From looking at the hymnals with this type of music, they would have you think that Mexicans enjoy no other type of music other than fast paced folk, polka-ish, guitar music. That, I assure you is very much NOT the case! In mexico, just about every church I visited had (and used regularly) a pipe organ. Further, even in the smallest towns, there was a choir, consisting of lay-singers from the town, who could sing four part hymns and mass settings.

I have been searching high and low, near and far for a good source of decent liturgical music in Spanish. Not much has come up so far, and the music we are forced to use is getting worse and worse. It has gotten to the point where I have started rewriting the music for some of the "hymns" and psalms. Little by little, the Music Director at my parish and I have been trying to push towards a more traditional mass. At this point I'm thinking maybe chant is the way to go. Lots of sources for that.

I've often wondered, if organ and/or SATB choir music always seems to sound "like church" to people, then why do I not actually hear it in church?

I'm sure another reason is the lack of organists and qualified music directors. I've been thinking about writing very simple music for organ and choir. However I'm not too sure how to go about this since I've never written a full length four part piece. If anyone has any similar ideas, I'd love to hear them and help out however I can.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I could go on for hours about his. I just think this is a rather serious issue.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    publishing.. is being overseen by non-Spanish speaking Americans who have never heard traditional Mexican liturgical music and know very little...
    Some of us in the trenches answer to that description too, but we're not to proud (I hope) to accept help.

When starting out I did a little research on Youtube. Mexico City's Cathedral has splendid organ playing, but when they do a Spanish Gloria it's responsorial, as seems also the case in Madrid. Toledo has some wonderful services, with ordinary always in Latin. I finally found a number of through-composed vernacular Glorias at Guadalupe, but there're not in the Bruckner (or even the Proulx) tradition. Can you recommend other churches than use SATB settings?
  • Carl DCarl D
    It seems to me that there's a very real danger of not understanding the deeper context of all this, that we're talking about the Hispanic Music or Spanish Music from the viewpoint of outsiders.

I bring this up because I had a powerful conversation with a gentleman this week who has a company which teaches English speakers Spanish, and Spanish speakers English. But it's not done in a classroom model.

He brings together 5 speakers of each language, who are each motivated to be both student and teacher. Each person is offered the very real dignity of teaching others about his or her language and culture, with equal priority given to both.

With this model, they develop friendships and true community. They grow together with common goals and shared understanding.

In this discussion thread, there doesn't seem to be much desire to be taught about the richness of the culture behind this. We're falling into a trap of thinking, "Why do those folks not want to do it the way I think it should be done? How can I fix them?"

Which is some of the same dynamic we've seen between the EF and OF communities. What our beloved Pope Emeritus desired is that we truly learn from each other, not try to convince each other. It's not a battle to be won.
  • ghmus7
    It is a very tricky issue with many pitfalls.
    Those of us who work in the southwestern us have deal with this issue whether we want to or not.
    I too have looked for years for "better quality" spanish hymnody. I am fairly covinced that there was never any real traditon of organ based hymnody like in the english countries. Before VII the parishes with better quality music sang chant. Then after the rewewal/changes, music was taken over by the folksters.
    So. There really is no repertoire of 4pt spanish hymnody. NOW if someone knows of sources, i would love to know and enjoy to be proven wrong.
    Howver, there are some tunes in the popular spanish hynals that are marked "traditional"
    Those are usually better quality, musically.i would like to discover more of those.

Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Richard Mix: I suppose you're right. But those people usually have no choice, since there is a lack of good resources. They're forced to use what ever is available, and rely on whatever info they're given by questionable sources.

I'm not sure exactly of the names of these churches. I know a lot from the state of Aguascalientes use them. Side note: at the "Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion" in the state capital city there is a Ruffatti pipe organ. The only one in the country, if I'm not mistaken. However I will keep looking for more specific churches.

Carl D: I think you're right. It is very easy to lose site of the real issue and get lock into the whole "my way is THEE way". I like your story of the teaching method. I think that is a good way to gain insight into a culture straight from the source.

I was not trying to say that my way was better or that folk-ish liturgical music was bad. I myself am in a Mexican folk band with accordion, guitar, bass, etc. I greatly enjoy it. However, what I'm trying to say is, why are we basically forced to use this style? I am of the opinion (and most definitely not alone) that the mass should be solemn and something extraordinary. So where are the resources for people like me? I understand they're trying to make money and cater to "youth/newcomers". To that let me just say that just about all of the young (about 8 to 28 range) people that I have asked on the subject said they would prefer SATB than folk guitar/keyboard/drum style so common in the churches in my area. So where are they getting the idea that it is necessary to keep producing music like this, and ONLY like this?

ghmus7: I am sure there was an organ movement in Mexico just like elsewhere. It would make sense since there are many Baroque pipe organs in Mexico. In fact, I believe the Mexican state of Oaxaca is home to about 70 Baroque organs.

About the repertoire of 4 part hymnody, I have been trying to find this "holy grail" of Spanish music for some time now. A friend of mine is an excellent organist and choir director down in Mexico. I haven't been able to get a hold of him but I think he might know where to find some of the things we're looking for. Maybe I'll see if I can get funding for an expedition to go south and find music... wishful thinking. But next time I'm down there, I'll definitely try to bring back as much as possible and spread it up here.
  • ghmus7
    Organist27:
    Thanks, yes i know of that wonderful mexican organ tradition and those beautiful organs.
    As well, im sure you know of the jesuit Spanish tradition of liturgical misic - Courcelle comes to mind as the most important.

• Richard MixRichard Mix
    Um, I'm able to google Francisco Courcelle; Wikipedia doesn't seem to explain the Jesuit connection.
  • There has been some discussion about trying to go about setting the Spanish propers into chant (as with the SEP et al.). However, it is my understanding that the new Spanish Missal translation is not yet complete (please correct me if I am wrong about this). I think some are waiting for that to happen before setting out on a project to write chant propers in Spanish.

There are, of course, some on the marello.org site (ordinaries there as well). I have actually used some of the ordinaries for Spanish Masses (Weddings, Quinceanera) when I've been asked to provide music.

On other occasions I have simply used Latin ordinaries and used a simple psalm tone to sing the Entrance antiphon, Communion proper, Responsorial Psalm and Alleluia using the text chosen. I do find it difficult to find good hymns in Spanish for these occasions. The people with whom I have worked, however, have never complained about the settings of the ordinary and proper. They seem to be very happy that everything was in Spanish (that was their primary concern). Occasionally they had a particular hymn request or two, which were easily added.

Where I am now, although it is in the southwest, my particular parish does not have Spanish Masses, so I have not been able to put this into practice with a regular parish.