Alleluia for Easter
  • Claire H
    Friends,

If possible, I would love for my sister and I to do a chant Alleluia before the Gospel on Easter Sunday. We may not have the time or skill to learn a complex one, though. Is there a moderate-level one that you could direct me to?

Thanks in advance. :)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Hello.

Why not use Fr. Sam Weber's setting, hosted by musicasacra.com ?

The SCORE & practice Mp3 can be found HERE
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    WHOOPS !

Please disregard last post.

I had confused the ALLELUIA with Fr. Samuel Weber's simple Responsorial Alleluia setting here:

Score hosted by musicasacra.com

although the two actually could be mixed, nicely
  • RagueneauRagueneau

ACTUALLY, NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, YOUR BEST BET WOULD BE TO

VISIT: RENEGOUPIL.ORG

. . . AND LOOK AT THE "CHANTS ABREGES" VERSION OF THE ALLELUIA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once there, you will find:

-=o=- this score -=o=- and -=o=- this practice Mp3 -=o=-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • dvalerio
    You have several options. Here are the four I remember, in increasing order of difficulty:

1) sing the well known Alleluia from Iubilate Deo (p. 12);
    2) sing the Alleluia from the Graduale Simplex asigned to Easter (or at least any other from that file);
    3) sing the abridged Alleluia and verse from Chants Abrégés (p. 57);
    4) sing the full Alleluia and the abridged verse as seen in the Liber Brevior (p. [27], not to be confused with p. 27).

For options 1) and 2) you will have to use a psalm tone for the verse, sung in English or in Latin as you wish. Options 3) and 4) give the verse in Latin with a more complex melody, though you could of course also resort to the psalm tone to sing the verse (again in English or Latin).

Any option is beautiful if well sung. I'm sure options 1) and 2) are quite accessible; 3) and even 4) are not too hard.

PS - Jeff Ostrowski has just given an alternative link and an mp3 for what I called option 3).
  • Claire H
    Jeff and dvalerio, thank you both so much. All your links and suggestions are extremely helpful and I really appreciate you taking the time to provide them!