Eastern Midwest
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I realize that if someone knew something, it would probably already be posted ...

But I thought I'd post this just in case someone knows of something and hasn't posted it because they feel it's not their place, etc.

For personal/family reasons I'm looking for a full time position in northern Ohio (anything from Columbus on up), southern MI, eastern Indiana, or western PA.

I hold the CAGO certificate and am an organist and choir director.

I feel pretty much the same way as you all do on liturgy and music, although my views may be somewhat muted compared to some of yours (I don't necessarily object to ANY Haugen/Haas like stuff at mass as long as it is some of the better pieces and in MODERATION, although I do appreciate having a good choir to sing chant and polyphony.)

If anyone knows of any opportunities, I'd appreciate a heads up very much. It doesn't seem like there is much out there these days.
  • St. Ann's in Cleveland, Hts. under a new name is looking...

www.frogmusic.com/njinfo - look under REFERENCE link to jobs....saw this last night.

Direct link: http://www.catholicjobs.com/job/3556107929

They have an old carillon that was unused for many years due to "cracked bells". A bell company approached them about relocating the bells, did an onsite visit and pointed out that there were no "cracked bells" but instead a TV antenna that had been hidden in the tower had fallen onto the bells.

One would assume that the reduced reception of channels might have been investigated....maybe they just went cable.

The Steere pipe organ is being rebuilt by a local builder, it was purchased from a church in NY having been condemned by the NY Fire Marshall for dangerous wiring back in the 1940's or so when the present church was built.
    Thank you for all the information Noel. My resume should actually be sitting on that pastor's desk as we speak, but I've not heard anything back as of yet.

Funny story about the bells.
  • I held keys here years ago for tunings, it was also my first pastor's home parish...we'd stop there on the way back from Indians games to have a look. The one that built the church was a scrounger. One day they came to Mass at the old wooden church to find they could not get in the parking lot. During his sermon he said that he had bought the brass grill work and large columns from a bank being torn down. He had them trucked to the parking lot and told the people, they will become our new church. And they did.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    There was a job in Lima, Ohio, advertised in the Catholic Times (newspaper of the Diocese of Columbus) a few weeks back. You might be able to look in their archives to find the issue.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    It was a full-time job listed at 40k, which is decent for this area (I'm in Columbus).
    Thank you, matthew. If you hear of any more, let me know.
  • padre11
    I have a possible opening for a parish music director in West Michigan, if you are still looking, please contact frjer11@gmail.com
  • Jeffrey Quick
    These old thread posts can get scary if you don't look at the dates. ;-)
    Thanked by 1marajoy
    Did you think I was leaving or something??? Nah ...

And thank you, Fr., but I actually did find a great job that I'm very happy in, here in my hometown in Ohio.

Best of luck finding someone great for your situation!

Thanked by 1marajoy