Choir receives Communion after Mass?
  • I used to sing in my parish choir but quit this year for various reasons, including the music that we/they do is not the traditional music that they used to do. But there is another more bothersome reason that I cannot consider even singing on special occasions any more. They now receive Communion after Mass is over instead of during the Eucharist as we had always done. Ostensibly this is so they can two songs instead of just one. Yes, they are just songs, nothing more.

I ran into this again this morning when looking over the music for the Diocesan Chrism Mass which I had agreed to sing in during Holy Week. A note at the end said that "we are making arrangements for the choir to receive Communion AFTER Mass *if possible* (emphasis mine).

Is this common? I have never heard of this until our parish started doing it this year for just this one choir when they sing.

I don't even know where to look for some kind of Church document or whatever that would address this.

Thanks,
    Jean
  • At least in my experience, this is very common, and so far as I know, entirely kosher. It's even the practice at the CMAA Colloquium, should the communio last too long for the schola to receive or the communion motet be needed too early for the polyphony choir to receive beforehand.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. I even find that receiving after Mass allows me to be more properly disposed, since I am able to focus completely. If I'm both singing and receiving in tight sequence, part of my mind is inevitably concerned with the execution of the music.

~
    Rebecca
  • Beth
    In the GIRM under n. 86 ....................The singing is continued for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the faithful. If, however, there is to be a hymn after Communion, the Communion chant should be ended in a timely manner
    Care should be taken that singers, too, can receive Communion with ease.

It's still the same Lord during and after mass. For me, I always make it a point to end whatever the choir is singing in a timely manner to let them go down to receive during the mass. I fill in the extra time with a chant or organ music. On special events that are busy, a Eucharistic minister will come to the choir loft and administer. I think you need to be your own advocate in it. If it is important to you let someone know that can help with different options. Contrary to popular belief the hand holding at the Our Father is not the sign of unity at mass, it is the Community reception of the Lord in the Holy Eucharist.
  • JamJam
    For chant pieces (probably not polyphony unless your choir is huge) could you stagger the choir's reception of communion? Like, let the first row or whatever go, then the second row when they get back, something like that... I've seen it done that way before so that the singing continues until communion is done. But of course, a little bit of silence is nothing to be afraid of, and actually a good thing for everyone right after communion.
  • Beth is right. If the choir receives after Mass, the significance for them of the prayer after communion and the dismissal is diminished.
  • CharlesW
    An extraordinary minister(most often a choir member) brings communion to the choir loft each Sunday. I play while we wait to receive, then begin the communion song.
  • We are fortunate to have two extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion who bring the Body & Blood to the choir. The
    wonderful thing about the communio w/ psalm, is that we can receive Holy Communion with the rest of the congregation
    while the communio is being sung. At the conclusion of the communio, we frequently will sing a motet.
  • Liam
    It may be licit but any place that practices it with regularity (as opposed to extraordinary circumstances) should reconsider how essential the need is for such a practice. Mere convenience is not sufficient. Unfortunately, Catholic minimalism (if it's licit, it must be good) lurks in such places.
  • Liam
    Btw, a Chrism Mass, where there are bevvies of clerics as ordinary ministers of the sacrament available to minister, does not strike me as such an extraoardinary circumstance in the least.
  • I'll go with Rebecca's comment. I have done it both ways. I prefer reception after mass -- or even to attend another mass that day for communion -- so as to have the leisure, if you will, to be properly disposed. And on the other hand, this allows me to be fully concentrated on doing my job in singing/playing the communion music.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear Jean Cantu,

The "traditional" way for the choir to receive Holy Communion is after Mass.

But, as the GIRM says, it is not impossible for them to receive during the actual Communion. But if they do, they should NOT be rushed. The choir has an office to fulfill. This office need not be diminished.

Practically speaking, I find it very, very difficult to receive Holy Communion while worrying about my office (directing the choir, setting organ stops, moving kneelers, music stands, intonation pitches, watching the priest to see how close he is to being finished distributing Holy Communion, etc.)

In ideal circumstances (where all my singers know their music perfectly, have their music ready, organ stops set, etc.), it is quite easy. But, practically speaking, it is not easy. That's why I'm grateful the Church has always (wisely) permitted reception of Holy Communion after Mass.
  • Chrism
    Opinions being strong both ways, this is one area where I try to leave it up to the communicant. Choir members are given the opportunity to receive during Mass, and also after Mass, always from the hands of a priest. Whichever they prefer.
  • marajoymarajoy
    At my church, myself and 2 other women sing the Communion chant beginning as soon as Father communicates, and as we are singing, an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion comes up into the choir loft for the choir to receive, but meanwhile a few choir members prefer to go downstairs and receive from the priest. Then when everyone is back, we stop the Communion chant and the remaining couple singers (myself included) receive from the EMHC, then we start a hymn or choral piece. It seems to work quite well.
  • JamJam
    marajoy, that sounds kind of like the staggered reception I was talking about earlier. If you had a few people sing while everyone else received, and then had the rest start up while the first singers received, you wouldn't even need an EMC would you? Unless your choir was huge and your church huge also?
  • marajoymarajoy
    Unless the organist wants to receive. In my case I'm singing the chant, then quickly receive communion, then very soon after start playing the organ. It takes significantly longer just to go all the way downstairs and come back, and WAY longer to stand in line with everyone else. Plus, there are a few older people, who wouldn't easily be able to or want to get all the way down the stairs and come back in a short amount of time.
  • JamJam
    Hmm. My church choir solves this by just not taking communion more than a few times a year, but that's probably the worse solution yet...
  • CharlesW
    I don't receive at masses when I play. In the first place, I am too distracted by what I am doing to give communion the attention it deserves. Also, we Byzantines typically don't receive with the frequency that Latins do, and have no desire to. I play while the choir receives and everyone is happy.
  • bjerabek
    Whatever happens, PLEASE don't receive Holy Communion *while* you are playing the organ or some other musical instrument.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I have actually been offered Communion at the organ bench a couple of times! I think this whole topic comes from a modern liturgical (not capitalized here on purpose) concept that we all must show that we are that "one body" during Communion at Mass. IMO this comes from an overemphasis on the Eucharistic Banquet to the exclusion of the whole Sacrifice of the Mass. The vernacular translations in English have also lead to a confusion between St. Paul's "mystical body of Christ" where he describes us as all members of the Body with Christ as the Head, and St. John's definition of the Eucharist as the "Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity" of Jesus Christ as He instituted in the Sacrament.

When we go to Mass (or hear Mass, or attend, &c.) we do receive graces, not dependent upon the level of our participation. It is an extra blessing when we bring away good feelings from the Liturgy, but even those do not totally depend on our "active" participation therein. (Of course none of those feelings could happen if we weren't actively participating with our minds and hears - I refer to the constant vocalizations and arm movements, &c.) Going to receive Christ in Communion is certainly a group activity, but still primarily very personal. That statement certainly galls "liturgists". They are still confused about the body receiving the Body! (And they remain confused about a necessity to receive both species, even though both Body and Blood are contained, by definition, in both the Host and the Chalice.) So there is the confusion between the body of Christ that we are, and His total Presence in the Eucharist.

I think this leads to further confusion between the Sacrifice of the Mass, our worship of God, and the Sacrament of Holy Communion. The Mass is always the Mass, whether or not any of the congregation receives Communion. And the Sacrament is always the Sacrament, whether during the Mass or not. Except for receiving while totally preoccupied with some other action, there is nothing wrong with any of the scenarios above. I just think that we all need to be aware of what we are doing, and why we are doing it, and what our personal options are.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • This was a point of contention in my choir a few months ago. We're up in the loft, way in the back, and in the past it was expected that the choir simply go downstairs after the Agnus Dei and recieve communion first, then go back upstairs and sing (our youth choir still does this). However, I have several members of my choir who didn't have the strength or health to make what was a pretty significant juorney, and they became very vocal about the problem, to the point that a few of them refused to participate in choir until they could be accommodated. They were insulted by the offer to recieve communion after Mass.

The solution that we came up with (and I have to thank my choir members for taking the initiative on this) is that we now have three trained extra-ordinary ministers in the choir. Our pastor was resistant to this idea at first, but eventually came around after seeing how it was affecting the choir's morale. So our extra-ordinaty minister does a head count before mass and lets Father (or our guest celebrant) know that number, who then prepares a special pyx just for the choir. After the Agnus Dei, he goes downstairs, recieves communion with the other ministers, recieves the choir pyx and comes back upstairs and takes care of the choir. Our organist plays this entire time, and she recieves communion last so there's minimum time between musical selections. What's interesting is that this arrangement has actually allowed for more music, and more variety - we get an organ piece, a prepared choir peice, and a hymn, in that order. It's quite lovely.
  • JamJam
    But extraordinary ministers are supposed to be just that--extraordinary--aren't they? If you schedule them into the Mass, then they become ordinary, because they are expected to perform that duty every week, not just in extremely exceptional circumstances.
  • Well, maybe I'm using the word incorrectly. However, that doesn't negate the effectiveness of our solution.
  • Guadalupe
    I have several choir members who refuse to receive from EMHC's. To ensure that they receive Communion if they wish, I continue chanting the antiphon while they travel from the loft to the front of the church. I try to time things well so that I'm able to receive (thanks to a few purposefully-slow-moving choir members!), but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I make a Spiritual Communion, which is not a substitute for the real thing.
  • Anhaga
    My EF parish choir comes up to communion "before" congregation. But I have been always bothered by the practice, because "Ceremonial for Sacred Music EF 1962 Missale Romanum" (by Rev. Scott A. Haynes, S.J.C.) says:

"Communion: Once the Celebrant begins to distribute Holy Communion the choir chants the Communion proper to the day." (p.29)

"38. Holy Communion is distributed to the people on their tongue as they kneel at the communion rail. The schola sings the Communion antiphon and motets during Communion." (p77)

"39. Holy Communion can be distributed to choir members after Mass following the Rite for Distribution of Holy Communion outside Mass (Roman Ritual). If schola members are unable to go to the Communion rail during Mass they may go after Mass."

According to Fr. Haynes' book, schola/choir taking Communion after Mass seems to have been "traditional" practice, at least for EF Masses.
  • G
    I have actually been offered Communion at the organ bench a couple of times!

I'm probably displaying what my husband tells me is an unfortunate tendency to want to "top" others' stories, but here goes:

I was subbing on organ at another parish for a funeral and asked what the procedure for communion was, (there was a choir and cantor and we were all in close proximity to the sanctuary.)
    I was told "someone" would come over to the area toward the end of the communion hymn.
    But the funeral turned out to be large, and the hymn finished so the choir all went and joined the regular communion line.
    I continued to play softly and chant verses of a psalm.
    The priest approached the console and I immediately began to cadence.
    The priest said, "take your time," and placed the Blessed Sacrament on the console and walked away.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • marajoymarajoy
    G- oh, good grief! (Lord, have mercy!)

ok, here goes mine...I had hired for Easter last year a (wonderful) Bass singer, who happened to be Jewish, and when the EMHC came up to give the rest of the choir communion (as they usually do,) this particular singer didn't go to receive, so the EMHC (who wasn't one of the usual ones,) walked over the the singer and tried to give him communion, he was like, "no, thanks," but still a little confused, but the EMHC was insistent, until I (while playing the organ at the same time,!) was like "nooo!!!"
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    G takes the prize for sure. Being offered communion at the bench is actually pretty common, I think. At Methodist "open communion" I once had a grapejuice-soaked bit of bread shoved into my mouth while I muttered "no thank you" and shook my head. Good medicine for one's musical concentration.
  • CharlesW
    I once subbed in a Methodist Church on Christmas Eve, for a friend who was called out of town at the last moment. The pastor kept trying to give me communion bread while I was playing, and I asked him to leave it on the console. It may still be there, for all I know. After the service, I left the building quickly. The Methodists were well-meaning, but didn't realize we have a completely different understanding of communion.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    the way i have seen it done, extraordinary ministers distribute communion while some members of the choir are still singing.
  • ossian1898ossian1898
    At my parish, we sing the Agnus Dei and then make our way downstairs and to the rail for Communion. We usually get there well in time for the second Confiteor and Ecce Agnus Dei...

We always go before any of the congregation.

Usually there are a schola member or two who are not receiving that day and so they sing a chant while we are communing and returning to the loft. When we get back we make a very short thanksgiving, collect ourselves, and sing the Communion Antiphon for the day followed by a (usually) polyphonic piece.

This practice works really well in my opinion.
  • JahazaJahaza
    "The 'traditional' way for the choir to receive Holy Communion is after Mass."

Maybe in 1950. Communions at Sung or Solemn Masses were relatively rare before the 20th century as I understand it. Certainly for the choir members to receive communion would be exceptional. People frequently went to Communion at an early morning low Mass and then returned for the Sung/Solemn Mass later in the day.
  • JLP
    Several points:
    --It seems to me that full and active participation involves receiving Communion during the Mass; singing more fully should not involve communicating less.
    --Choir members should receive hosts consecrated at the Mass. As liturgical ministers, they should receive from the altar, not from the tabernacle. If a concelebrant, for example, were to receive from the tabernacle, it would make defective his Mass (but not his Communion).
    --Ministers should support other ministries. Those with the charism to sing should be supportive of those commissioned to distribute Communion. Otherwise they should not sing.
    --The term "extraordinary" is no longer applied to Eucharistic Ministers.
    --If a ciborium is taken up and down stairs, then the lid should be in place while in transit. The Minister should also have a clean purificator along, to receive a Host that might fall from someone's hand or mouth.
    --The chalice should not be taken up and down stairs, even if covered with a lid.
    --The Eucharistic Minister can take a ciborium or pix from the altar at the very beginning of the Agnus Dei and distribute to the choristers as the priest receives the Host.
    --The recipients should have at least 60 seconds of silent time to make a personal thanksgiving before rushing to the next event (Communion music). Beautiful silence is the friend of beautiful music.
    --Communion should never be forced upon anyone, and those who decline should not be interrogated about their reasons. This is what the Holy Father calls "the spirit of curiosity" which is contrary to "the spirit of wisdom."
    --Having Eucharistic Ministers among the choir members seems a good solution, though the combining of ministries in one person is discouraged in general.
    --If there are a number of acolytes at the Mass, one of them can carry a lighted candle ahead of the Minister up into the choir loft, and extinguish the candle when the last Host has been received. This was traditional when carrying viaticum to the sick.
  • --The term "extraordinary" is no longer applied to Eucharistic Ministers.

They are Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. That is the term.
    Thanked by 2Ally hilluminar
  • You seem confused about the idea of ministries. I don't want to look like I'm tearing apart what you said, but... well... I'm going to tear apart what you said.
    It seems to me that full and active participation involves receiving Communion during the Mass; singing more fully should not involve communicating less.

In what way does this obstruct full and active participation? I've never heard that before.
    Choir members should receive hosts consecrated at the Mass. As liturgical ministers, they should receive from the altar, not from the tabernacle. If a concelebrant, for example, were to receive from the tabernacle, it would make defective his Mass (but not his Communion).

In case it hasn't occurred to you yet, I don't think choir members celebrate the Mass very often.
    Ministers should support other ministries. Those with the charism to sing should be supportive of those commissioned to distribute Communion. Otherwise they should not sing.

What is your obsession with the term "minister"? It can't be applied to everybody who has any sort of role in the Mass.
    The term "extraordinary" is no longer applied to Eucharistic Ministers.

My parish still calls them Extraordinary. Where did you hear that they aren't anymore?
    The recipients should have at least 60 seconds of silent time to make a personal thanksgiving before rushing to the next event (Communion music).

I think this is true. Why not then give them the 60 seconds (and more if they want) after the Mass is over?
    Having Eucharistic Ministers among the choir members seems a good solution, though the combining of ministries in one person is discouraged in general.

Here you go with the "ministries" again...
    If there are a number of acolytes at the Mass, one of them can carry a lighted candle ahead of the Minister up into the choir loft, and extinguish the candle when the last Host has been received. This was traditional when carrying viaticum to the sick.

Good to know what's traditional, but I don't think many choristers are sick...

You make some great points, and it is good to see some of the things you said. I can't argue with "Beautiful silence is the friend of beautiful music."
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • JLP
    There is and always has been a variety of liturgical ministries--from celebrant and acolyte at Low Mass, to celebrant, deacon, subdeacon, master of ceremonies, candle-bearers, thurifers, schola members etc. at High Pontifical Masses. I merely note the fact and have no axe to grind about it.
    Reception of Holy Communion is the most perfect form of participation at Mass, and it seems to me that it should not take second place to the performance of other liturgical duties. Once there was a funeral with so many (mostly non-Catholics) that all the aisles were blocked, and the priest asked Catholics to receive Communion after returning from the cemetery. So there can be situations. But in St Peter's Basilica a hundred priests distribute communion to twenty thousand people during a given Mass.
    We received word from on high (diocesan office of liturgy) to avoid the term "Extraordinary Minister" but that is still a correct description as such. Distributing communion is "ordinary" for bishops, priests, deacons and those in the minor ministry of acolyte; it is still "extraordinary" (in small caps) for lay persons.
  • Blaise
    Can. 900 §1 The only minister who, in the person of Christ, can bring into being the sacrament of the Eucharist, is a validly ordained priest.

Can. 910 §1 The ordinary minister of holy communion is a Bishop, a priest or a deacon.

§2 The extraordinary minister of holy communion is an acolyte, or another of Christ's faithful deputed in accordance with can. 230 §3.

(From of the Code of Canon Law [of the Latin Church])

The term is extraordinary, not ordinary, minister of Holy Communion. That is the law of the church.

Hyperlinks are not working today on the computer I am at, so I will just have to post the source plainly: http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0017/_P37.HTM
  • The Holy Sacrament should not be taken out of the altar before the sacrifice is complete, that is, before the priest has received. Still less should anyone receive while or before the celebrant does or from a layman (or priest!) who himself has not yet received.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Such legalism. Can't we just pass a crumbly loaf around person-to-person while lounging on old couches in the youth room and singing Kumbaya?
    Thanked by 1futurefatherz
  • I send most of the choir down to receive communion first, keeping a small group to sing a communion antiphon (usually SEP) when the rest of the choir has returned, I send the chant group down and then begin the communion hymn. It works beautifully.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • JLP
    --Yes, Andrew, I think you're right. The Agnus Dei is a confractorium, a chant to accompany the Fraction. The Fraction is so important that the Mass was originally called "The Breaking of the Bread" in Acts of the Apostles. In some places people stand for the Fraction; in most places the Eucharistic Ministers were trained to begin assembling at the altar when they hear the Agnus Dei begin. As a result of all this side-motion, the attention of the congregation is pretty fully distracted from the action at the altar. It is a shame for such an important liturgical act not to receive the prominence it deserves. Shouldn't bells ring or something?
    --Twenty years ago it was the usage in our diocese for Eucharistic Ministers to receive at the end, after everyone else. I always opposed this and finally it was changed. "The gift you have received, give as a gift."
  • kenstb
    I came across these guidelines on the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops website:

If extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion are required by pastoral need, they should not approach the altar before the priest has received Communion. After the priest has concluded his own Communion, he distributes Communion to the extraordinary ministers, assisted by the deacon, and then hands the sacred vessels to them for distribution of Holy Communion to the people.
  • Never heard of the Communion-after-Mass concept before now. Over the years I must have played the organ at just about every Sydney or Melbourne Catholic parish that retains a usable organ at all, but I've not once encountered this concept in my own experience. Nor has any other Aussie organist known to me.

For whatever it's worth: at both the (diocesan) EF church where I was regular organist for eight years, and the (diocesan, conservative, partly Latinized, chant- and polyphony-heavy) OF church where I play quite often these days, what invariably happens is as follows. The choristers - each church has a mixed choir - descend from the loft after the Agnus Dei; process to the altar rail (yes, both buildings still have altar rails); and receive Communion before, rather than after, the congregation does.

Meanwhile I will play - except in Advent and Lent, of course - a quiet organ solo of approximately four minutes' duration. By the time I end the final chord, the choristers are back in the loft. I prefer to restrict my own reception of Communion to Low Masses where I, instead of being musically involved, am simply another working stiff in the pews (i.e. I can go to confession beforehand).