Olbash talks chant on Sirius Catholic Channel
  • chonakchonak
    On the Sirius/XM Catholic Channel today, Dr. Jennifer Pascual (St. Patrick's Cathedral, NYC) interviewed CMAA member Michael Olbash about his chant recording "Blessed is the Ordinary", as part of her series about sacred music, "Sounds from the Spires".

Audio from the show is available on-line: http://www.gabrielmass.com/rac/tmp/spires20100301.mp3 .
    Thanks to organist Ryan Lynch (St. Camillus, Arlington, MA) for making the recording.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    This CD sounds totally amazing --- what an accomplishment. Congrats to M. Olbash !!!
  • My wife and I listened to the broadcast at 6 a.m. this morning. What a great way to start the day. It was only a matter of time before this cd received special attention, but Michael's pleasant, articulate, self-effacing interview manner will surely foster interest.
  • Erik P
  • miacoyne
    Our schola loves this CD, especially for learning the Communios for general use, and we have given this CD to priests as a Christmas gift.
  • Erik P
  • incantuincantu
    emp,

Since I am named after it, perhaps I should be the one to help you find this book.
  • incantuincantu
    *ducks*
  • Erik P
  • chonakchonak
    It's an altar-sized book containing the priest's parts of the Mass, in Latin, with full chant notation. In particular, it contains prefaces (all or nearly all of them) written out in solemn tone, and again in simple tone; the four eucharistic prayers; and other parts of the Mass ordinary. The Exsultet is also included.

The Newman Book Store in Washington sometimes has it in stock.
  • incantuincantu
    Emp - I hope that at least gave you a chuckle! :)
  • Erik P
  • chonakchonak
    The group has been together since we made the recording, to sing for a conference put on by the "Magnificat" magazine.

Going by what Michael said in the interview, there isn't a plan in line for another recording so far. The project only happened thanks to the generosity of a benefactor, and there were some months of work for Michael and the record producers after the recording session. Any new project for the group would depend on the availability of all the necessary factors.
  • incantuincantu
    Maybe we should get back together in San Francisco and record all of the communion antiphons for Ordinary time...
  • Erik P
  • OlbashOlbash
    This San Francisco idea is one worth exploring further...