St. John the Evangelist Basilica, Stamford, Conn.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker

Saint John’s Parish was founded in 1847, and is the oldest Catholic parish in southwestern Connecticut. From this church all other Catholic parishes and institutions in lower Fairfield County trace their roots.

From the beginning, the parish maintained a strong tradition of good choral liturgical music. This continued until the years immediately following the Second Vatican Council. Since 1998, with the arrival of Mr. Scott Turkington, there has been a tremendously successful revival of the earlier liturgical tradition of superb choral and organ music. Mr. Turkington has accepted another position after nearly twelve years of magnificent service to this parish, and we are in search of a new full-time organist and choir master. It is essential that the applicant be prepared to build upon this musical tradition.

Saint John’s is a traditional parish, recently raised to the dignity of a Minor Basilica by Pope Benedict XVI. We are the liturgical center of the Diocese of Bridgeport, both musically and liturgically. During the past years, we have offered workshops in Gregorian Chant and training sessions for clergy for Mass in the Extraordinary Form.

Our music program is a traditional and very ambitious one. The weekly High Mass, offered in English at 12 noon each Sunday, is comprised of Gregorian chant propers and different polyphonic settings of the Ordinary each week, in addition to Latin Offertory and Communion motets. This Mass, and those for Christmas, as well as the ceremonies of the Triduum and various holy days, are celebrated at the original High Altar, ad orientem. The choir at the noon Sunday Mass is a paid professional choir.

There are two other choirs: a volunteer adult choir and a children’s choir, which both sing for the 10:00 Sunday “Family Mass”. The title simply means the Mass has more children in attendance than others, but nothing liturgically “goofy” is permitted: children are in attendance, both boys and girls sing in the choir, and boys serve the Mass.

The acoustics of the church are magnificent. The church is English Gothic Revival in style, and is the largest church in the area, seating more than 1,000 persons. The interior has not been altered in any significant way since the opening of its doors in 1886.

There are two organs: 1992 Rodgers electronic; 1971 Paul Ott portative organ with five stops [8’, 4’, 2’, 1 1/3’, 1’].

Salary and benefits package are offered.

Any applicant for the position may call the parish at 203-324-1553 to contact Monsignor Stephen DiGiovanni, the pastor [ext 11], or, by email: spqrnac@gmail.com
  • rollingrj
    What a wonderful opportunity for the right person.
  • don roy
    this is very true but i cannot for the life of me imagine what it would be like to follow in the footsteps of scott turkington .
    that alone prevents me from applying!
  • Chris AllenChris Allen
    BIG shoes to fill!
  • This job appears to have been filled.
  • The new man that was hire last year has been fired recently. To my knowledge, the position is open again.
  • No, it's been filled again.
  • BruceL
    I have to confess how disappointing it was to me that this job wasn't (again) nationally advertised. I can understand that, if there was a bad fit with the successor to Scott, that a bad taste may linger, but there are so few truly good jobs that it is disappointing when they are filled (even with someone adequate) without being advertised. I say this, I should add, as someone who hears about jobs "through the grapevine" a lot, to my frustration.
  • Francesca
    The business of not advertising positions seems to be endemic.

This position, however, had to be filled in a hurry b/c of the circumstances of firing the incumbent with no notice. Nothing easier than getting out the old personnel file from the last job search and calling until you find someone still interested.

If this job shows up open again, it really should be a red flag that the working conditions are not pretty in spite of the past glories.
  • ghmus7
    Why would such a music program with " such high standards" employ an electronic organ?
    The average catholic church I ca understand, but this church?
    Hmm.