Holding a Concert in a RC Church
  • francis
    I am wondering if anyone might have information or be able to point me to information on the appropriateness of holding concerts in a Roman Catholic Church. (consecrated space) Two obvious questions: What kind of music is allowed, is secular music allowed, and then of course this in relation to the fact that the Blessed Sacrament is present. Any documents would be helpful too.
  • Statement from the Vatican:

http://www.adoremus.org/concerts.html

A reflection on that statement by the CRCCM:

http://crccm.net/Statements/Rome_statement.htm

In my particular situation, we regularly have concerts employing large college choirs and orchestra (things like the Bach B minor Mass, Arvo Part's Te Deum, etc...), and the performing groups are always given very stern instructions as to behavior in, and appreciation of, the sacred space they are using. Our tabernacle is in a separate chapel, so we don't have a problem with that.
  • francis
    But do you sponsor (or allow) Wagner, art songs, or other non-sacred (secular) musical (content) concerts? The authoritative document IS the first one you posted. Also, music in a consecrated church is specifically noted by canon 1210 of the Code of Canon Law:

"In a sacred place only those things are to be permitted which serve to exercise or promote worship, piety and religion. Anything out of harmony with the holiness of the place is forbidden. The Ordinary may, however, for individual cases, permit other uses, provided they are not contrary to the sacred character of the place."

The principle that the use of the church must not offend the sacredness of the place determines the criteria by which the doors of a church may be opened to a concert of sacred or religious music, as also the concomitant exclusion of every other type of music. The most beautiful symphonic music, for example, is not in itself of religious character. The definition of sacred or religious music depends explicitly on the original intended use of the musical pieces or songs, and likewise on their content. It is not legitimate to provide for the execution in the church of music which is not of religious inspiration and which was composed with a view to performance in a certain precise secular context, irrespective of whether the music would be judged classical or contemporary, of high quality or of a popular nature. On the one hand, such performances would not respect the sacred character of the church, and on the other, would result in the music being performed in an unfitting context.

It pertains to the ecclesiastical authority to exercise without constraint its governance of sacred places (Cf. canon 1213), and hence to regulate the use of churches in such a way as to safeguard their sacred character.
  • At an organ recital at our parish, the Blessed Sacrament was removed from the sanctuary to the sacristy for the duration. I have not looked for law on this point, but it certainly seems like a good common-sense thing to do.
  • francis
    And you must also realize that the location of the tabernacle is a completely separate issue and does not identify the area which is consecrated space. In other words, if the tabernacle were moved to another remote part of the church, it would not have anything to do with lessening the viability of the consecrated state of the sanctuary or the altar that if violated, must be reconsecrated with a special penitential rite.
  • CharlesW
    We have had concerts in the church, but they were sacred music. Also, the concerts must be free of charge to all.
  • francis
    (revised)

Joseph

The church approves, and encourages the performance of sacred music before God in the Blessed Sacrament: during Mass, during devotions and other times to encourage and instruct the faithful in our Holy Religion. However, the document on concerts does specify the removal of the Blessed Sacrament above.
  • francis wrote:

"But do you sponsor (or allow) Wagner, art songs, or other non-sacred (secular) musical (content) concerts?"

No. Those are better suited for a concert hall.

"non-sacred (secular) musical (content) concerts"

That raises interesting questions--in an organ recital, what is sacred and what is secular? I know that for us, we require anyone presenting a concert to provide a detailed program many months in advance for our review.
  • francis
    The intended venue and purpose of the work according to the Vatican.
    Concerts in Churches

"The principle that the use of the church must not offend the sacredness of the place determines the criteria by which the doors of a church may be opened to a concert of sacred or religious music, as also the concomitant exclusion of every other type of music. The most beautiful symphonic music, for example, is not in itself of religious character. The definition of sacred or religious music depends explicitly on the original intended use of the musical pieces or songs, and likewise on their content. It is not legitimate to provide for the execution in the church of music which is not of religious inspiration and which was composed with a view to performance in a certain precise secular context, irrespective of whether the music would be judged classical or contemporary, of high quality or of a popular nature. On the one hand, such performances would not respect the sacred character of the church, and on the other, would result in the music being performed in an unfitting context." Par 8
  • francis
    In other words, high quality or classical in nature does not give it an automatic stamp of approval to be performed in an RC Church.
  • miacoyne
    Of course, if the church has a school gym or other hall, you could do it there?
  • Francis, thanks for comments and clarifications.

If the church has some other hall, one would think that would be better for any concert, ceteris paribus, with the exception of a pipe organ performance, since the organ is not movable.
  • francis
    Yea. Movng the organ is not possible, however, almost all organ music is sacred in nature simply because it is naturally born in that venue.
  • JamJam
    well... there's some pretty weird organ music out there... which I would definitely not call sacred.
  • CharlesW
    Naturally, all this stirs my curiousity. Just what kind of concert are you planning, Francis? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)
  • francis
    Last April we did Septem Ultima which can be found on this forum. I also played an organ concert and we have had two Christmas concerts. We have an in house string quartet but I haven't chosen repertoire for them yet.
  • francis
    Jam

I play mostly baroque organ works including my own. I don't play atonal or avant garde. Mostly Bach and Buxtehude.
  • CharlesW
    Sounds wonderful to me! I don't know why there would be a problem with any of your concerts.
  • francis
    The problem is that I am starting to get requests to use the church from opera vocalists.
  • CharlesW
    What is your pastor's policy on this? When I am in doubt, I refer to the pastor and abide by his decision.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    How does all this square with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra performing the monumental Bruckner 5th Symphony in B-flat in Holy Name Cathedral for Pope John Paul II a number of years ago. Actually, the pontiff was delayed, the first two movements were played, then there was an intermission during which he arrived, said some very kind words about the CSO, Sir Georg Solti, and Anton Bruckner - and then the Scherzo and Finale were played. I remember this, because I listened to it on WFMR radio.

The following is excerpted from a review by Dennis Polkow of a much later CSO performance under a different conductor.
    No less a critic than Pope John Paul II was moved to tears here a decade ago at a special concert in Holy Name Cathedral, the last time the CSO performed this monumental work. The pontiff wanted to hear the mighty Sir Solti and the CSO while he was in town, but a strictly "religious" concert seemed a bit much, as John Paul was celebrating a couple of sung masses every day of his grueling tour. Bruckner was the perfect compromise--fully symphonic and yet steeped in faith. The large Bruckner symphonies are often compared to large Gothic cathedrals in terms of proportion and spirituality, and the analogy is particularly appropriate in the case of the mighty Fifth.

The Minnesota Orchestra under the baton of Osmo Vänskä, began a project in 2006 of performing all ten of Bruckner's symphonies (No. 0 through No. 9), one each year, performances at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis and at the Cathedral of St. Paul in St. Paul. This time, there has been no pontiff present for any of the concerts, and I don't know if the Archbishop has attended any performances, either.

Don't forget that Bruckner was a bold enough symphonist to be regarded as a descendent of Beethoven, he idolized Wagner (thus visciously attacked by the Brahms-loving music critic Edward Hanslick), and was a mentor to Gustav Mahler. Bruckner's symphonies were touted by the Third Reich as the (aryan?) ideal. Does the humbly-born Austrian, the symphonic Bruckner, make it into Cathedral/church concerts on the basis of his intense devotion to the Church, even though there are still, even today, some that rail against him or his music. I, for one, greatly admire and love Bruckner's music, having discovered Bruckner as a high-school freshman through an old Hans Knappertsbusch recording of his fifth symphony on Capital Records, and I'm glad that the symphonic Bruckner has been played in Cathedrals.
  • francis
    Personally, I don't do what Popes or prelates do (can be a great excuse for abuse). I think its better to try to follow what the Church wishes, although many do look the other way.
  • JDE
    Okay, why don't we discuss (for example) Liszt?

He had a reputation as a bit of a bad boy in his youth, was known as a dandy and a matinee idol among women (in fact there's a pretty amusing story about him and the Apassionata sonata - his shill forgot to faint when he started to play the finale impossibly fast, so when he got to the part even he couldn't play at that tempo, he "fainted" himself instead).

So let's look at a few examples of his music:

• Bénédiction de Dieu dans le Solitude - probably okay.
    • Etudes d'Exécution Transcendante - dodgy. Sounds like Yoga or something new-agey might be involved
    • March of the Grail-Knights from Parsifal - wellllll . . . . technically it's Wagner, which is dodgy enough, but then we get into the Nietschean overtones of Wagner's weird animistic/aryan Eucharistic fantasies, so this one is also probably out.
    • Waltz from Gounod's Faust - The Catholic Encyclopedia explicitly banned Gounod, so no dice! Plus the whole opera is about the Devil.
    • Mephisto Waltz No. 1 - Do we really even need to discuss this?

Sigh. I suppose if you stick with the Harmonies Poétiques et Réligieuses, you should be safe. And where does that even leave the Hungarian Rhapsodies? Hungary is a Catholic country, right?

If I were playing a piano recital in a Church, I would not play the Mephisto Waltz. The other stuff is arguable (except the Gounod transcription, but that's only on the basis of poor taste). I think we are sometimes a little uptight about using the Church building for classical music, but I would *never* forbid Bruckner's Symphonies in such a setting because they are so uplifting -- regardless of the composer's religious outlook, although I would argue that his outlook certainly informed the beauty of those works.
  • francis
    i am sooooo black and white...

symphonies should stay in the symphony hall... keep God's house sacred.

I myself compose symphonies, but I would never assume to have one performed in the sanctuary, especially at the horror of having Jesus removed from his own throne as a result.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    "The Catholic Encyclopedia explicitly banned Gounod" indeed?

This is from a tongue-in-cheek post; the overly credulous might ask themselves what authority the Encyclopedia has in the first place...
  • JDE
    Well, they didn't ban him. The Catholic Encyclopedia actually doesn't carry any authority, even though it dates from before Vatican II. But the CD article about him does rake his Masses over the coals, and he is mentioned prominently in the 1922 blacklist.

As for Gounod's music, since I have been exposed to his Petites Symphonies for Winds (a lot like going to the circus), and Faust (which in Germany is a staple of the operatic repertoire, but so far from Goethe's work that they re-title it Margarethe), and a number of his devotional songs, I can say with confidence that he became a much greater composer in the opera house than he would have been as a church musician. Not every composer is suited to Sacred Music of the truly sacred sort.

Liszt, on the other hand, went in the opposite direction: started out as a reputed libertine and wound up wearing a cassock and writing religious music. His Ave Maris Stella was considered sacred enough to be used at the closing of the 2009 Colloquium. For the record, I think his a capella music is arguably sacred music; not so much the gigantic oratorio Christus, which is more dramatic than sacred. But regardless, I still play his Invocation and Funérailles occasionally, just not at church.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    JDE, there has never been a serious move even to change the 'national' anthem of the Vatican, let alone ban the rest of Gounod's oeuvre. The (nonbinding) blacklist singles out 3 orchestral masses that include the gloria and credo intonations, and could as well be taken as an explicit endorsement of the remaining masses.
  • JDE
    RM, I was being facetious. Of course they didn't ban Gounod -- how could they? In any case the St Cecilia richly deserved to be banned . . . it's more operatic than some operas. Yet when I became Catholic in the 1980s it had only been 10 or 15 years since they had quit using it as the week in, week out Ordinary for the parish I had joined. They had taken some cuts in the Agnus to leave out the extra words, but they had continued with it up until the 1970s. So obviously the blacklist didn't have universal reach.

The thing that is obvious to me (as others have remarked as well) from the tone of the blacklist's text is that the state of music in Catholic churches was lamentable even in 1922. Many people want to idealize the pre-Vatican II era, but music has always been a mixed bag.

Also the Pontifical March by Gounod isn't meant for Church in the first place, is it? It's for when a Vatican team wins a medal at the Olympics. ;-)
  • francis
    Bumping this as this might be something to reflect upon since we are coming up on a season when 'holiday' concerts may be promoted in your parishes and churches.
  • dad29
    I play mostly baroque organ works including my own.

Just exactly how long have you been ........ahhh........living?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Well, given what they are paid, most Catholic church musicians are pretty close to Baroque. :)
  • francis
    When the organ is baroque you have to fi - - ixit.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • canadashcanadash
    Ahhh, this post has been resurrected already. Perfect.

What about mixing sacred with secular choral pieces. My choir wants a spring concert to sing something "fun". Any of you have some simpler, fun ideas? Maybe there is something like this out there? (and nothing from Sister Act please!)
  • Vaughan Williams has done quite a few 'fun' things. A Jubilate Deo comes to mind. Or perhaps Schutz' Cantate Domino! There is no end of motets and anthems that are nothing but fun.

(I would never do a secular piece in a sacred concert (a concert spirituelle, a Giestlicheskonzert) in church. Some would. I wouldn't. Sacred precincts are for sacred stuff. They are either sacred or they aren't.
    Thanked by 2dad29 CHGiffen
  • francis

(I would never do a secular piece in a sacred concert (a concert spirituelle, a Giestlicheskonzert) in church. Some would. I wouldn't. Sacred precincts are for sacred stuff. They are either sacred or they aren't.
    I totally agree with MJO. I would not desacralize the church.
    Thanked by 1dad29
  • dad29
    One could, perhaps, justify something like Copland's arrangement of "Gift to be Simple", which is 'churchy' albeit Protestant in origin. That's about as far as I would stray from 'sacred.'
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Is it tacky to respond to a side-tangent in a resurrected thread?
    Gounod, at the top of his game, is as good a liturgical composer as you'll find in the 19th century. He wasn't always at the top of his game, because of his tendency to pander to audiences.

Likewise, Kalliwoda got a universal ban in the 1922 Black List. But Montani & Co. didn't know those a cappella Masses that Carus has published.

And, to bring the discussion full-circle, the "operatic" Mass is a form of music which, though I wouldn't want to use it for a Mass, might be perfect for one of the church concerts. Anyone for some Giorza or RoSewig?
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    The more I read about the 'interchange' between RoSewig and Montani, the more it seems like a liturgical "clash of the titans" - almost something along the lines of Fenelon and Bossuet.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    My research in 2010 strongly suggested Montani vanquished RoSewig, got him blacklisted.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Montani's biggest problem with RoSewig was that he wasn't Italian. At the risk of sounding like Peter Shaeffer's Mozart: there was an "Italian Cabal" running Church music in the US, and the bias is obvious in the White and Black Lists.

The big movers and shakers in Catholic Music in the US in the early 20th Century were: Carlo 'Propers' Rossini, Nicola A. 'St. Gregory Hymnal' Montani, Pietro 'Gesu Bambino' Yon, and of course the current Maestro da Capella Sistina, Lorenzo 'Get-those-castrati-outa-here' Perosi.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Rossini was really the next generation. And you're discounting the Germans, who the Italians were displacing. The Italians were more coastal, while the Germans hung on in the Midwest. And those were the fracture lines of reform church music (which is why you had Caecilia AND the Catholic Choirmaster) St. Gregory Society was Montani's baby, so OF COURSE their lists would skew Italian (but Giorza was on the Black List, so it wasn't JUST a nationality thing). So I don't think it proves that the Italians were in change... except insofar as the Coastals have always run things in the US

A friend told me that he remembers singing RoSewig in his parish in Cleveland all the way to Vatican 2.
  • dad29
    Interesting. Cincinnati and Milwaukee were German strongholds, both heavily influenced by F X Witt through his student John Singenberger (Caecilia magazine/Sacred Music). And while there was plenty of the Montani/Rossini stuff up here in Mke., it was not regarded too highly.