Premiere of James MacMillan's "St. John Passion"
  • Some of you may be interested in the Boston Globe account of the premiere of James MacMillon’s largest work to date: BSO premiere

I would add my voice to the critical remarks, but as a safeguard against the perils of economic recession my wife and I dropped our BSO subscription this year. Perhaps one of our other New England CMAA forum readers attended and will share her/his reactions.
  • Oops. Lets try again. BSO premiere

If this doesn't work I''ll get Chonak to get it up and running. Btw, a Google search will list other discussions of the work. The "St. John Passion" is a joint commission and the above account is only of the Boston performance.
  • dad29
    the parts I found most compelling were the least pictorial moments, when the composer freed himself from literal representation of the narrative and let his formidable sonic imagination roam

Curious. It's a maxim that 'the music illustrates the text.' Perhaps MacMillon was following the maxim and the critic doesn't know about that?
  • IanWIanW
    For those who wish to listen to a performance over the internet, the work will be broadcast by BBC Radio 3 from King's College Chapel, Cambridge, on Good Friday (7 pm, GMT). Most of Radio 3's programs are available for up to seven days via its iPlayer service, and few of them are subject to geographical restrictions.

The work will be conducted by Stephen Cleobury and performed by Mark Stone (Christus), King's College Chapel Choir (narrator chorus), the Philharmonia Chorus and the BBC Concert Orchestra.

MacMillan is a model Catholic musician, committed to the liturgy. In addition to his day-job as a professional composer he makes time to be Music Director of his parish church. I shall reserve judgement on the Passion until I've heard it entire, in performance.
  • francis
    I am dying to hear this.
  • IanWIanW
    Francis (and any others who might be interested),

Here's your chance, good for seven days.

A marvellous, very moving way to commemorate the events of Good Friday (and a considerable challenge to sing, especially from behind the French Horns!). The composer has given something of worth to the Church.
  • francis
    IMHO I don't think the work will stand the test of time.