In defense of chant during Advent/Lent
  • Every now and then I witness a thought expressed on this forum regarding the prevalence of using chant and chant based pieces more often during Advent and Lent. Often the thought expressed is that it is ridiculous to think that these times are more appropriate for chant and that we ought to be promoting chant at all times and not "relegating" it to two penitential seasons.

While I do agree that we must promote chant in general, I do believe that Advent and Lent are especially suited for chant. First off, since many people in the pews ARE of the opinion that chant is more "penitential", these are two times of the year when you can introduce more of it without them kicking and screaming too much. That is called opening a door. Make sure that you do it and do it well during these times. Some who have never experienced it may realize that they find beauty, wonder, and awe in it. You may well convert some who have a disdain for it into having a tolerance, even a fondness for it. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Secondly, I would argue that liturgically speaking, these seasons do call for a certain simplicity. If one were to use polyphony often, perhaps Advent and Lent are times to move away from polyphony in favor of chant. If one currently uses a mix of hymns and contemporary songs, Advent and Lent are great times to get "back to basics" and to use the pure, simple, unison music that is chant.

Of course none of this means that we should not work at other times to introduce chant as well - during Easter we sing "Victimae Paschali Laudes" and "Regina Caeli". But if your parish is like mine (and most in the United States are, basilicas and Cathedrals included), you just aren't going to get away with "all chant, all the time" anytime soon. So why not open that figurative door for as many people when you can? Why not slowly make lovers of chant (and keep your job too!)? Why not use the two seasons of preparation and introspection to return to nobler, simpler music?

I welcome your thoughts to this discussion.
  • incantuincantu
    I would be careful with this approach. I can't tell you how many times after playing "Amazing Grace" I hear "That sounds like a funeral," even though it is not a piece of funeral music. You don't want to start singing Gloria de angelis during Easter and have someone say it sounds like Lent. If we really have a sense of the rhythm of the liturgical year and its music, we will say "The Gloria is back! It must be Easter."
  • JamJam
    I don't think that Lent should be set apart by chant itself, so much as chant in the penitential-sounding tones (Gregorian modes for you guys). I like the idea also of more unison music and less polyphony... for us Orthodox stuff more deep, deep ison and slow music and less flowery Russian stuff.

But yeah it's the type of chant what makes it special to Lent. Even uneducated ears, I think, can tell the difference between Dorian and Phyrgian and Lydian, etc.
  • CharlesW
    I always use a Latin chant mass during Lent, and have done so for several years. No one has ever objected. However, I don't run it in the ground. Come Easter, we do something else, then switch to the Schubert mass for the summer. For Advent, I use the People's Mass, which I remember as one of the earliest English masses after Vatican II.
  • incantuincantu
    @Charles - good idea continuing to use chant into Easter.

@Jam - I don't know about the Orthodox Church, but I'm not aware of any association between modes and seasons in the Roman Church. A quick scan of Sundays in Lent and Easter show antiphons from both seasons in all eight modes.
  • JamJam
    All I know is that, during Lent at my home parish, all the ordinaries are changed into more minor-sounding keys, although we might still do the Sunday tone rotation of propers... I'm not sure.
  • I am distressed at the continuing association of chant with Lent, at reserving chant for Lent, at singing chant only in Latin and Greek (and not
    in English and Spanish), and/or at beginning to introduce chant at Lent when an assembly is not familiar with chant.

In 1993, when I was just five years on the faculty at my seminary and newly able to both teach a class on plainsong and have some say in what might be sung in the seminary chapel, I began to introduce singing plainsong during the Easter season. It just happened that way and yet it was a blessed happening.

Imagine a student’s first acquaintance with chant to be the Mozarabic setting of Psalm 34, “Taste and See,” with its rollicking triple alleluias
    (BFW 645), in the communion procession; the Ambrosian Gloria (BFW 608) and the Te Laudamus Domine (“We Give You Praise,” BFW 657) after communion, with their cascading melismas; the intimacy of “For you, I watch, O Lord” (BFW 163); the relief-at-rescue of the second default psalm of Easter (BFW 160, 161, 169, 170—Psalm 107, the first default being Psalm 118), and many others.

Such was and is my joy. I wish it were everyone’s.
  • mjballoumjballou
    What a happy coincidence for both Dr. Ford and his seminarians! And I support chant in all languages because I've seen it work in the Eastern Church. And I'm mad for the Ambrosian Gloria.

And it is true that a solution to the "oh no, it must be Lent because they're dragging their way through the chant again" is chant scattered around through the rest of the year. It doesn't have to be a chant ordinary. Sing an office hymn. Consider a fine example of chant for the equivalent of a motet at the offertory. Since a chant with an ison or a judicious addition of organum (note the word "judicious").

Now going off to consult By Flowing Waters (BFW for the non-cognoscenti).
  • Although PaixGioiaAmor's points are nicely reasoned, I must agree enthusiastically and wholeheartedly with Paul F Ford's assertions. We must do all in our power to disabuse people of the conception of chant as being penitential, sad, dreary, depressing, etc. Perhaps after Paix has done some appropriate chant during Lent, he would hasten to do some very infectuously joyful chant throughout Eastertide. Starting with the Alleluia Pascha nostrum and the ecstatic offertory Iubilate Deo, there is much from which to choose.
  • Sarcasm alert!
    You've been warned.

I say Lent's the time for polyphonic Propers and Ordinaries. Unencumber your faithful from the burdens of FCAP (they'll thank you for it, besides) and clothe those "bare, ruined choirs" in aural piety (and irony.)

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programs.....

"give our stumble....ings directions......
  • I have a few students in my music history class who are finally starting to hear the emotion in chant. Many of them aren't buying it yet, but I only have a week or so to convince them. BTW their only church music experience is rock and roll praise music and American-Idol style balladry.
  • Michael: It wasn't until recently that I began to hear it myself. This Sunday's OF Communion (Comédite pínguia) is a great example.

Others off the top of my head are:

- Tract: Qui hábitant — though this may just be me attaching something to what is, objectively speaking, a glorified psalm tone
    - The Good Friday Reproaches
    - Alleluia: Pascha nostrum — I tell people that the highest note in the entire Gregorian repertory is found in the "immolátus" of the verse; I haven't verified it, but it may as well be. Moreover, I view this Gregorian setting of this verse as an indictment on the exclusively community-meal approach to the Mass.
    - Offertory: Iubiláte Deo (mode I)
    - Offertory: Precátus est Móyses
    - Communion: Dicit Dóminus: Impléte hydrias

Here's a language-based take on the Advent/Lent music selection issue, one that will largely be eliminated wit the new translation.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Wow… I click on your link there, Aristotle, and I see I'm quoted on your blog from a year-and-a-half ago!

Flattering! ;)
  • francis
    GC should never be exclusive to the penitential seasons. My approach to introducing chant is based on the feasts and holy days and solemn celebrations. The PBC does this very well. If you sing all of it's content (beside the Ordinary), you will have a nice inclusion of chant throughout the entire liturgical year.
  • francis
    Paix

The music program is not a welcoming committee that eternally stands at the door. It is for the faithful who NEED a deeper experience of the mystical liturgy. And it's ONLY in the Catholic Church. We as the musicians are responsible to implement the Church's mandates... Nothing more, nothing less.
  • I find it ever challenging that some priests are comfortable delivering homilies that people do not like and yet some of these same priests bow to what the congregation wants in the way of music. There are too many people uninterested and unwilling to make music in the Catholic church Catholic and rather do music that you can find in any protestant church.

I also am disheartened by non-Roman Catholics who take a job in a Catholic church and do not make it a truly Catholic music program. These same people back in their home parishes, whatever they might be, would never expect to sing a Kyrie, the Offertory Verse, Gregorian Chant, Ave Maria just as they would not insist on a Holy Water font at the door, Eucharistic Ministers, altar boys and so on. [except for a few high church episcopals and lutherans, and those parishes are few and far between]

Yes, they can easily create an NPM music program with their background, but not a Catholic music program.

The argument here should not be whether chant should be sung in Lent...rather it should be should hymns be sung instead of chant.

This incursion of secular music styles and vernacular songs has happened over and over again in the church and then been eliminated. Why can't the church learn from its history?

It's like CharlesW's strong plan to only sing a few hymns so the people know them and will sing them. I was involved in a liturgy planning meeting recently when Behold the Wood was picked for Mass because it matched the reading and the choir liked it when they sang it. No consideration for whether the people would know it well enough to sing it....and we wonder WHY people don't sing.

To make this even worse, I failed to bring this up like I should have because I, too, am too used to the status quo of ignoring the necessity of encouraging rather than discouraging the congregation from singing.

They are standing there silent because they do not want to sing. At Guitar Masses and Organ Masses...they do not want to sing.

How stupid do we look for ignoring their silence and continuing to do what we want to do.

Especially when the Agnus Dei is chanted more strongly week after week.