Shorter Candlemas chants for Presentation of Our Lord?
  • The priest has asked to do the Candlemas portion and Missa Cantata for the Feast of the Presentation on Feb 2. There's really no time to learn the four pages of music in addition to the propers for the feast. Is there anything shorter?

Thanks.
  • The chant "Lumen ad revelationem gentium" might be manageable, along with the Nunc dimittis. (for the blessing of candles as I recall). For the procession, you might check the Graduale Simplex, or consider using psalm tones with the the procession chant texts.

This can be touchy when the parameters of what one is preparing are changed late in the game. Because you call it the Feast of the Presentation, I infer you are using the Paul VI Missal. The older Missals call this the "Purification." Candlemas works for both, I think.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I second David Sullivan's recommendation. The antiphon "Lumen ad revelationem" and the Canticle are the most critical (and well-loved). The Graduale simplex only gives one other antiphon and psalm. And remember, psalm tones are your best friends.
  • Here is the Rossini version. You will see that the "Lumen ad revelationem gentium" Antiphon is there, and that the rest is in Psalm tones.
  • j13rice
    By Flowing Waters has renditions of the music for the procession including psalm tones, in English of course. I think the Lumen ad revelationem antiphon is really meant to be sung by all during the procession and the BFW would be easy enough for a congregation to sing well after several repetitions. The verses could just be done by a cantor (that's what we're doing). Then we can spend most of our rehearsal time working on the propers. They are inspiring!