Ward Method Training
  • Hello,

I just finished read the winter Sacred Music and the article on Justine Ward.

I am currently taking voice lessons that are helpful but I want to work more on Chant than classical style music.

I am curious is there any way to find out if there are teacher/class on the Ward method in my area - Northern Kentucky/ Cincinnati Ohio?

Regards,

David Deavy
  • David,

I'd be curious, too. I live down in Dallas, TX and there is a Ward Center in San Antonio, TX. But I've had no response to several emails I've sent over the last few months.
  • So much of the "Ward Training" does come from the Ward books, and most are online at the Musica Sacra site. Have you taken a peek at those?
  • Speaking for myself, yes, I have. But not being a musician neither the Ward Method books, nor most of the other "learn to sing'n'chant" resources I've looked at or read through, have been particularly helpful or comprehensible.
  • Flambeaux,

I agree that's why I was looking for some "in person" instruction. I don't necessarily need a institutional set-up (i.e. Ward Center) I was just looking for someone who teaches using the method.

But I fear none are in my area.

David
  • There is a lady who runs a schola not far from you who may well be into Ward...we communicated about the possibility of her attending a chant workshop down here in Knoxville - the schola is south of Louisville....maybe it's on the Schola map?
  • rogue63
    Hello hello! Kentucky is God's country, Noel; He's the only one who really wants to live there (disclaimer--I'm a native). The Catholic population is also quite small, and the subset that knows anything about chant or Justine Ward can't be more than a handful. I will be back in Kentucky in June-July; what sorts of things do you all have planned? Anything around that time?

@David Deavy: my friend Rob Vanover is the organist and choirmaster for the FSSP community in Lexington, KY---St. Peter's. I know he has a schola that is working towards chant fluency, so you may want to get in touch with him. I don't have the contact info for him right off, but you can probably just google it.
  • I dearly wish that the CMAA could get their hands on and scan/publish the wonderful work on the Ward Method done by Odette Hertz in the mid 1960's. Mlle. Hertz, as she was commonly called, was in charge of the Ward Center in Paris in the 1950's and 1960's. Her work in carrying on the Ward Method and perfecting it was even recognised by Justine Ward herself, who said of Mlle. Hertz that "she understands the Ward Method better than I" Her work was indeed the apotheosis of the Ward Method and perfected the Method we see now, only in those early books on the Ward Method of the 1920's and 30's. Her books were published in french and a translation was made into english by Mother Thomas More, who was head of Ward Method Studies for Great Britain and Ireland. The english translation was never released, though the french version of her amazing work in the Ward Method does sometimes show up, but very rarely. Odette Hertz is now, sadly, dead. Even more tragically, she saw the near complete destruction of Gregorian Chant and of her Ward Method work.
  • Noel & Rogue63,

Thanks for the info.

I live in Northern KY, really a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio. Lexington 90 miles to the South, and Louisville is 90 miles Southwest. There is a healthy Catholic population in the area. Cincinnati/Northern KY has a significant German/Catholic heritage, but Chant is largely non-existent in parishes. I have started a small parish schola at my home parish, and we are trying our best to bring it to life but my limited background in music, is really holding us back, after reading the Winter Sacred Music article on the Ward Method I was wondering if there was a network of teacher or instructors in the Ward Method in his area.

I am aware of the FSSP community in Lexington, I will try to reach out to Rob Vanover to see if he might be able to help with resources nearer to home.

Rogue63 - were do you hail from in KY. I am a lifelong resident, and enjoy it very much.

David Deavy
  • David--

You might swing over to St. Meinrad if you haven't yet. It is a bit west of Louisville. They do not offer Ward Method training, but do periodic chant workshops for beginners which may be of interest to you.
  • rogue63
    David--

I sent an e-mail to you.
  • don roy
    rogue 63
    your comments about kentucky brought back many happy memories of living in lexington. i was robs predecessor at st. peters and can say that that community (both the regular parish and the latin community) are among the most wonderful people i have ever known. the schola has some wonderfully talanted and dedicated people.
    do I know you?
  • don roy
    david
    this is old home week for me. i lived for a while in ft. thomas and worked in cold springs. along with rogue, do i know you!?
  • For those interested, I will be giving a demo on the Ward Method at the CMAA/metroDC Chapter Meeting in February or March. The chairman/organizer is Mia Coyne, and the meeting will be held at St. John the Beloved Church in McLean.

JenniferGM, Flambeaux,and David Deavy: Re the books being online, etc. However, to learn the Ward Method, one really needs to take the formal instruction. Catholic University offers an intensive course in the summer in Ward Book One, Book Two, and Book Three- -one week, all day, all week. Also, Amy Zuberbeuler (Ward Center, San Antonio) has at times traveled to a few places to give Ward Book One Training over a period of 5 or 6 weekends. (She is extremely busy now and I don't know the status of such travel, but she does teach at CUA in the summer.)Teaching yourself from the Ward books is risky. You need the instruction. Ward is an excellent ,comprehensive method and encompasses the various aspects of fine vocal music instruction: proper tone production, breath control, rhythm, conducting, solfege, ear and eye "tests" in rhythm and solfege by way of dictation, sight reading, and composition of songs. Every day there is a new song which the children sight read. Moreover, the method is great fun for the students, and for the teacher as well. It is truly an ingenious, marvelous method.
  • don roy,

Wow - I live in Ft. Thomas currently. I attended the Colloquium in 2008 and the Chant Intensive in 2009. I believe I might have met you in 2008, I believe you had pieces in new compositions session but I could be wrong. That was my first colloquium and large parts of it were a blur.

If you don't mind me asking were did you work in Cold Springs?

David Deavy
  • Elizabeth,

Thanks, that's what I thought after looking at the Ward books. I am going to the Colloquium this year so another trip in 2010 is out of the budget, and my wife might think I am crazier than I am already.

David Deavy
  • don roy
    hey david
    i was at st. josephs cold springs for about a year and a half. the pastor was a living saint but with decidedly mahony'esq liturgical sensibilities but i truly loved the 14 rank moeller. it has the only choir that ever defeated me...
  • don roy,

Fr. Henderson would be my guess, I was in the seminary many years ago in for the Diocese of Covington and he was Personnel Director at that time and my interaction with him reflect your thoughts. Sorry to hear about the choir, I could use some help in my chant group.

David Deavy
  • Thank you, Elizabeth. I hope I can make it to St. John's for your demo. I did take the training at CUA years ago, but it's nice to have the refresher.
  • Amy Z is who I've tried to contact several times without success. We live up in Dallas, not too far from San Antonio. Perhaps I'll try again this week. Thanks. As I feared, the best way to do these things involves being taught by experts. I don't have a problem with that, but the experts don't seem to be too easy to find.