Chant at the MALL
  • Hello everyone. A while back I saw mention of an idea to take chant to the malls. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! See video here:

http://www.memorylanevideo.com/gallery/schola.html
  • Kathy
    Aristotle! Well done!
  • Dan F.Dan F.
    Fantastic! Presumably arranged ahead of time with the mall administration?
  • Yes indeed. I made arrangements well in advance and signed the proper hold-harmless forms. Mall administration could not have been more accomodating! The customer service desk informed me that they received many positive comments from shoppers.
  • Kathy, you do realize that this originally was your idea (well, actually, tomgiuliano's idea that you posted here), right down to the repertoire list. Here's the playlist (duration: roughly 30 minutes):

- Alma Redemptoris Mater, simple tone
    - Veni, Veni Emmanuel
    - Hodie Christus Natus Est
    - Adeste Fideles
    - Puer Natus in Bethlehem
    - In Dulci Iubilo
    - Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming
    - Glory to God on High (men)
    - Divine Praises

doxie deserves all the credit in the world for organizing this; all the pieces were in place by the time I arrived.

Other noteworthies:
    - I'm not sure how many rehearsals took place before I arrived here, but I led the final three 90-minute rehearsals.
    - Five seminarians, my pastor, and the diocesan director of vocations were present — in appropriate clerical garb.
    - Bookmarks featuring websites of the CMAA and participating groups were distributed to interested parties at the mall.
  • This is just so exciting! This kind of thing makes a huge difference in the public perception toward Catholics.
  • miacoyne
    This is awesome and inspiring! Sending this link to all the homeschooling families and schola members. We should definitely do this next year here!
  • Kathy
    Aristotle,

Ah, yes, the "inflatables" thread. But it's one thing to have or steal an idea, and quite another to manifest it in the flesh. It's subversive, it's outrageous, it's pleasant, it's cultural. It's the Church.
  • frater
    This is so awesome. How can I put the video up on my blog ?
  • I can't view this video on my Mac. I'm asked to install a plugin (flip for Mac?) which I cannot for some reason install. Is it possible to post the video on YouTube? Might be better for sharing?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I, too, cannot view this video on my Mac for same reasons as Adam
  • I've used the Flip plugin on my Mac and it displays. For some reason, though, I cannot encode it into another format. (I've tried uploading to YouTube and Facebook without success.) I'll try to contact the editor to see if he can upload it.
  • If you put the video up on your blog(s), for now please use the website as a link to it, and let us know where you posted it! Thank you.