Too silly for liturgy?
  • I would love to hear your opinions on this little piece by Handel set to a religious text. At least, I think it is religious: Canticorum jubilo, Regi Magno psalite. I guess it could be about an earthly king. And true, when I think of it, I hear the words "See the conquering hero comes | sound the trumpet, beat the drums," but it would surely be effective nonetheless, if a bit showy.

Meanwhile, my chant director says: no way!

What do you think?
  • GavinGavin
    Actually Jeff, that's a hymn tune, Maccabeus, "Thine Be the Glory". I wouldn't mind using it if I had time to teach the congregation. I'm not sure of its origin, but I'm pretty sure it's from his oratorio "Judas Maccabeus".
  • JDE
    You can find a basic outline of what happened here.

Don't be fooled by the after-market Latin text! Even though Joshua was ostensibly a religious work, the chorus itself is not directed at God, but at Joshua; the dramatic situation is similar in Judas Maccabeus, in which the composer interpolated it because of its popularity.

Handel was a habitual self-borrower, so this isn't a big surprise. My point would be that, aside from the original context, the music is theatrical in character, and therefore unsuitable for Mass. I mean, I love the Verdi Requiem, but it just isn't made for church.
  • G
    I've used it as a choral postlude at very festive Masses, but I have no taste or sense.....
    I certainly wouldn't use it for an entrance, or during.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • GavinGavin
    I guess this, rather than "Gift of Finest Wheat" is where I'd question the usefulness of "blacklisting" music. We have 3 people saying that "Thine Be the Glory" is unsuitable for liturgy, 1 saying it's suitable (and I'd rank it up there with any other traditional hymn). Who's to make this call? And would a bishop really dictate as others that "it's theatrical, therefore to be excluded from liturgy"? This is why I tend very much to view suitability to the liturgy as a subjective and individual judgment.
  • JDE
    It seems to me that all the answers in this category are subjective by nature. Every director of music has his bête noire. This tune isn't it -- that would be the bloodthirsty and vindictive Battle Hymn of the Republic -- but my opinion is that it is not suitable for Mass.