Stanford Requiem
  • GavinGavin
    Anyone else know of the Stanford Requiem?

I just heard it on Naxos a month ago and can't stop listening. Amazing music! I'd say the true test of a Sanctus movement is if it really makes you FEEL like you're worshiping "...with all the angels and saints." It has kind of a French character, but Stanford's genius shines through as well. Also rather long, but quite worth it - the Dies Irae is half an hour long! I don't know that I'd use much besides individual movements for Mass, but it'd make for a great concert.
  • I’ve heard of it, but never seen or heard the music. Interesting.

Another Requiem that, IMO, deserves more attention is the Saint-Saëns Requiem. Lots of drama, but quite accessible for the choir - think Bruckner Te Deum without the fugue. :)
  • GavinGavin
    Naxos has a paid service (that some universities provide access to for students) where you can listen to their collection all you want, with reduced quality. I don't really notice the reduction in quality, so I'd say it's definitely worth however much it is per year. And anyway, Naxos CDs are dirt cheap so you can probably pick it up at the local Borders.