New rendering of Ave Verum
  • A note arrived from rcgrimmer@optusnet.com.au

I'm just writing to thank you for your help with information on the Ave verum corpus chant. I am very pleased with the completed manuscript, doubly so because it won the competition in which it was entered. I have attached a photo of the manuscript, which is done in pen and ink, egg tempera and gold leaf on paper (2 x A2 pages), and a copy of the research which accompanied it.

• mjballoumjballou
    Charming. Note the lower corners on the first page. Was this done for a special event or as a gift?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    really beautiful
  • CharlesW
    This is nice - really nice!
  • Thanks for lovely comments. This manuscript was produced for a Society For Creative Anachronism competition, in the category of illuminated church music. I'm gradually putting all the details of the research and techniques used in creating the manuscript on my blog (http://www.my14thcentury.blogspot.com). Parts 1-3 of 5 are currently online. There is also a link to my other artwork. The blog explains the significance of all the artwork (but in short, the cats, mice, birds and snail have no liturgical meaning. They are just marginalia for the fun of it.)
  • a1437053a1437053
    This is perfect!

We're pushing members of our youth group to accomplish something similar.
  • Good on you. There are many manuscripts on-line to use as references. It doesn't take long to get the hang of writing with a pen and ink, and most modern calligraphers use gouache for the illuminations which is also fairly easy to handle and produces consistent results. Writing manuscripts and illuminating them is slow precise work but is a meditation in itself. The beautiful end product is almost incidental.
  • francis
    I am glad to see you have illustrated the EF. Historians will look back to this period of time and think that was the norm!
  • The illustration is of the EF because it is intended to be a an example of a manuscript from the 14th century. Simone Martini's fresco cycle on the life of St Martin of Tours was the inspiration for the images, particularly "The Miraculous Mass". It does not represent any particular liturgical viewpoint of my own.
  • JamJam
    Egg tempera is hardcore awesome. It has such a long history of use in iconography--! well done! this is adorable!
  • If you would like to see some of my icons and altarpieces in egg tempera, see my website http://members.optusnet.com.au/rcgrimmer