Simplified Gradual and Alleluia Chants, Ordinary Form
  • For those of you who have found my simplified versions of Major Propers useful (and I'd like to know who you are!), I have made an edition that follows the Ordinary Form, with its three-year cycle, available for download in print-friendly PDF format. Please let me know if you find errors.
  • This is wonderful Richard. Thank you. OF Graduals do seem like an amazing rarity. I really do wonder how many people use the Gradual instead of the Responsorial Psalm.
  • These are, of course, wonderful.
    I used the Gradual in the OF on about 3 Sundays out of 8 during my two years at Saint Bernadette's in Silver Spring.
    I used GR and American Gradual chants and polyphonic settings.
    It was well received, in part because it was done fairly well.
    A supportive pastor is crucial.
  • Daniel, how was this presented to the congregation? What were they using for a Mass guide? Was this for all the liturgies or just one where the schola was present.

I don't want to diminish the important of Richard's work which is wonderful. When I looked at them I thought, "Oh that's for the EF." But then I came back and saw OF....which is why I am posting.
  • And Richard...forgive my lack of understanding here. You composed these? (I assume so) What is the source for the Gradual text...meaning, I get very confused and frustrated trying to understand the entire OF sung propers...
  • These are the Gradual chants specified in the 1979 Roman Gradual, with Introit tones used in place of the verses, up to a convenient point at which the authentic chant returns to the end.
  • Ah, I hink that I understand now, this makes them much more accessible! Thanks!
  • Is there anyplace where a page or two of the 1979 RG can be viewed so we can see the Gradual and Responsorial Psalm as they are present there?
  • We did this almost exclusively at the 11:00 Solemn ('choir') Mass, although occasionally at the Vigil Mass for major Sunday solemnities.
    We used a weekly liturgy leaflet with the hymns, hymnal page numbers for the Ordinary, and psalm refrain when used.
    We had OCP missalettes and several-years-old Music Issues in the pews.
    The Music Issue mostly served the 9:00 (semi-) contemporary Mass.
    We only explained the use of the Gradual when asked! We were careful to stay on-message!
    This was all possible because of the superb pastor, which is a fine liturgist and an extremely astute appreciator of good music.
  • eft94530eft94530
    page or two of the 1979 RG can be viewed

The Graduale Romanum (GR), published 1974,
    is organized according to the Ordinary Form calendar.

The Graduale Triplex (GT), published 1979,
    is identical in layout to the GR,
    manuscript-family markings from the 900s are over-layed,
    one above (black Laon MS), one below (red St Gall MS), the square-notes.

The Gregorian Missal (GM), published 1990,
    http://www.musicasacra.com/books/gregorianmissal-eng.pdf
    contains a subset of the GR chants.
  • Thanks to both Daniel and eft!