Translations of popular chants
  • Any ideas/links for good sources of chant translations?

And for whomever may find these useful:

VERBUM SUPERNUM, Hymn for Corpus Christi
    Verbum supérnum pródiens, Nec Patris linquens déxteram, Ad opus suum éxiens, Venit ad vitæ vésperam. 2. In mortem a discípulo Suis tradéndus æmulis, Prius in vitæ férculo Se trádidit discípulis. 3. Quibus sub bina spécie Carnem dedit et sánguinem: Ut dúplicis substántiæ Totum cibáret hóminem. 4. Se nascens dedit sócium, Convéscens in edúlium, Se móriens in prétium, Se regnans dat in præmium. 5. O salutaris Hostia, Quae caeli pandis ostium, Bella premunt hostilia, Da robur, fer auxilium. 6. Uni trinoque Domino Sit sempiterna gloria, Qui vitam sine termino Nobis donet in patria. Amen.

The Word most high coming forth, yet not leaving the Father’s right hand, having done His work, comes to the evening of His life. 2. When the disciple was about to give Him over to His enemies for death, first He gave Himself as food of life to His disciples. 3. To whom under two kinds He gave his Flesh and Blood, that He should feed man’s twofold nature. 4. When He was born He came to be our friend, at supper He gave Himself to be our food, dying He is our ransom, reigning He shall be our reward. 5. O saving Victim, Who openest the gate of heaven, war rages round us; give strength, bring help. 6. To the Lord three and one be glory for ever, Who gives us life without end in our home above.

AVE VERUM CORPUS, in Honor of the Blessed Sacrament
    Ave verum Corpus natum de María Vírgine: Vere passum, immolátum in cruce pro hómine: Cujus latus perforátum fluxitaquaet sánguine: Esto nobis prægustátum mortisin exámine. O Jesu dulcis! O Jesu pie! O Jesu fili Maríæ.

Hail, true Body, born of Mary the Virgin; truly suffering, sacrificed on the cross for man; from Whose pierced side flowed water and blood. Be to us a foretaste at death’s trial, O sweet Jesus, O loving Jesus, O Jesus Son of Mary.

PANIS ANGELICUS, in Honor of the Blessed Sacrament
    Panis angélicus fit panis hóminum; Dat panis cælicusfigúris términum: O res mirábilis! mandúcat Dóminum Pauper, servus, et húmilis. 2. Te trina Déitas únaque póscimus: Sic nos tu vísita, sicut te cólimus; Per tuas sémitas duc nos quo téndimus, Ad lucem quam inhábitas. Amen.

The bread of angels becomes the bread of men; the heavenly food makes an end of symbols. O wonderful thing! a poor and lowly servant eats the body of the Lord. 2. We pray Thee, Godhead Three and One, come to us as we worship Thee; lead us by Thy path to the goal for which we hope, to the light in which Thou dwellest.

ADORO TE DEVOTE, Hymn of St. Thomas Aquinas
    Adóro te devóte, latens Déitas, Quæ sub his figúrisvere látitas: Tibi se cor meumtotum súbjicit Quia te contémplans totum déficit. 2.Visus, tactus, gustusin te fállitur, Sed audítu solo tuto créditur: Credo quidquid dixit Dei Fílius: Nil hoc verbo veritátis vérius. 3.In cruce latébat sola Déitas, At hic latet simul et humánitas: Ambo tamen credensatque cónfitens, Peto quod petívitlatro pænitens. 4. Plagas, sicut Thomas, non intúeor Deum tamen meum te confíteor: Fac me tibi semper magis crédere, In te spem habére, te dilígere. 5. O memoriále mortis Dómini, Panis vivus vitam præstans hómini, Præsta meæ mentide te vívere, Et te illi semper dulce sápere. 6. Pie pellicáne Jesu Dómine, Meimmúndum munda tuo sánguine, Cujus una stilla salvum fácere Totum mundum quit ab omni scélere. 7. Jesu, quem velátum nunc aspicio, Oro fiat illud quod tam sítio: Ut te revelátacernens fácie, Visu sim beátus tuæ glóriæ. Amen.

Humbly I adore Thee, hidden Godhead, veiled truly under these figures. All my heart I give to Thee, for it all fails in contemplating Thee. 2. Sight, touch and taste tell me nothing of Thy presence; yet safely I trust what I hear. I believe whatever the Son of God has said; nothing can be more true than the word of Truth itself. 3. On the cross Thy Godhead was hidden; here is hidden Thy manhood too. Yet I believe and confess both, praying as prayed the good thief. 4. I do not see Thy wounds like Thomas; yet I confess Thee my God. Grant that I may ever more and more believe in Thee, hope in Thee, love Thee. 5. O memory of the death of the Lord, living Bread giving life to man, let me ever live of Thee, ever sweetly taste Thee. 6. Pelican of mercy, Jesus Lord, cleanse me, unclean, by Thy Blood, of which one drop is enough to wash the world of all sin. 7. Jesus, Whom now I see veiled, I pray that this may come for which I long so much: that at last, seeing Thee face to face, I may be blessed by the sight of Thy glory.

VIRGO DEI GENITRIX
    Virgo Dei Genitrix, quem totus non capit orbis: In tua se clausit viscera factus homo. 2. Vera fides Geniti purgavit crimina mundi, Et tibi virginitas inviolata manet. 3. Te matrem pietatis, opem te clamitat orbis: Subvenias famulis, O benedicta, tuis. 4. Gloria magna Patri, compar sit gloria Nato, Spiritui Sancto gloria magna Deo. Amen.

O Virgin Mother of God, He Whom the whole world does not contain, enclosed Himself in thy womb, being made man. 2. True faith in thy begotten Son has cast out the sins of the world, and for thee virginity remains inviolate. 3. Thou art the Mother of divine love, Thou the aiding power the world cries out to: come in aid, O blessed one, to thy servants. 4. Great glory be to the Father, equal glory to the Son, great glory to God the Holy Spirit.

AVE MARIS STELLA
    Ave maris stella, Dei Mater alma, Atque semper Virgo, Felix cæli porta. 2. Sumens illud Ave Gabriélis ore, Funda nos in pace, Mutans Hevæ nomen. 3. Solve vincla reis, Profer lumen cæcis: Mala nostra pelle, Bona cuncta posce. 4. Monstra te esse matrem: Sumat per te preces, Qui pro nobis natus, Tulit esse tuus. 5. Virgo singuláris, Inter omnes mitis, Nos culpis solútos, Mites fac et castos. 6. Vitam præsta puram, Iter para tutum: Ut vidéntes Jesum, Semper collætémur. 7. Sit laus Deo Patri, Summo Christo decus, Spirítui Sancto, Tribus honor unus. Amen.

Hail, star of the sea, blessed Mother of God and ever Virgin, happy gate of heaven. 2. Receiving that Ave from the mouth of Gabriel, establish us in peace, changing the name of Eve. 3. Loosen the chains of sinners, give light to the blind, drive away our ills, obtain for us all good things. 4. Show thyself a mother: may he hear thy prayers Who, born for us, was willing to be thy Son. 5. Virgin above all others, meeker than all, make us free from sin, meek and pure. 6. Obtain for us a pure life, make safe our path, that seeing Jesus we may ever rejoice with thee. 7. To God the Father be praise, glory to Christ on high, honor to the Holy Spirit, one in three.

SALVE REGINA (Simple Tone), Votive Antiphon post Pentecost
    Salve Regína, mater misericórdiæ, Vita, dulcédo, et spes nostra, salve. Ad te clamámus, éxsules, fílii Hevæ. Ad te suspirámus, geméntes et flentes in hac lacrimárum valle. Eia ergo, Advocáta nostra, illos tuos misericórdes óculos ad nos convérte. Et Jesum, benedíctum fructum ventris tui, nobis post hoc exsílium osténde. O clemens: O pia: O dulcis Virgo María.

Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, O most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!

ECCE PANIS ANGELORUM, in Honor of the Blessed Sacrament
    Ecce panis Angelórum, Factus cibus viatórum: Vere panis filiórum, Non mitténdus cánibus. In figúris præsignátur, Cum Isaac immolátur, Agnus Paschæ deputátur, Datur manna pátribus. Bone pastor, panis vere, Jesu, nostri miserére: Tu nos pasce, nos tuére, Tu nos bona fac vidére In terra vivéntium. Tu qui cuncta scis et vales, Qui nos pascis hic mortáles: Tuos ibi commensáles, Coherédes et sodáles Fac sanctórum cívium. Amen.

Behold this Bread of Angels which hath become food for us on our pilgrimage; it is truly the bread of God’s children, let it never be thrown to dogs. V. Scripture announced it figuratively by Isaac’s sacrifice, by the paschal lamb and by the manna given to our forefathers. V. O Good Shepherd and most true Bread of life, Lord Jesus, have mercy on us; feed us and protect us, bring us to the vision of eternal riches in the land of the living. V. Thou Who knowest and canst accomplish all things, Who dost feed us in this mortal life, make us Thy chosen guests, the coheirs and companions of Thy saints in the heavenly city.
  • Kathy
    Ryan, I have a few resources here: http://hymnographyunbound.blogspot.com/search/label/Latin%20hymnody

Here is the grandaddy of Latin-English hymn sites: http://www.preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Hymni.html

And here's a very helpful online book: http://www.archive.org/stream/earlylatinhymnsw00walpiala/earlylatinhymnsw00walpiala_djvu.txt