Litany to the Holy Name of Jesus
  • WJA
    We're having a 2-hour Adoration next Sunday and would like to include the Litany to the Holy Name. I looked in LU and didn't find a setting. I can always use the chant settings in LU for the Litany of Loreto, but was wondering whether anyone knew of a chant setting in one of the public domain books.
  • There's a Franciscan chant book, Cantuale Romano-Seraphicum (1929), which has a setting for this. My recollection is that the Franciscans were instrumental in promoting devotion to the Hly Name of Jesus. Also, I think there's an indulgence attached to reciting this litany after Mass of the day of the Feast.
  • WJA
    Thank you!

Maybe this book will make its way to the CMAA web site some day.
  • The Cantuale Romano-Seraphicum has some interesting things. For example, chants of the office for saints in the Franciscan calendar. But these will be simply curiosities unless one is actually involved with Franciscan liturgies of a certain sort.

The litany above is the only thing I've actually used from the book. Most or all the rest of the non-Franciscan-specific material may be found in the Cantus Selecti.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Devotion to the Holy Name, and the Society, is usually promoted by the Dominicans.
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07420b.htm
  • That's very interesting. I wonder whether there's a connection between the Dominican devotion, the devotion promoted by Ss. Bernardine of Siena and John Capistran, and the Franciscan origins of the Feast itself.