Music on All Saints' Day
  • What are you playing for organ preludes and postludes on All Saints' Day?

I am thinking about the Langlais Te Deum ...
  • I am playing the Toccata of Marcel Dupre based on the gregorian chant for all saints......placare servus.....dale
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    PaixGioiaAmor,

I played the Langlais last year, and will again this year! Maybe nobody else will understand why I'm playing "scary French music", but there it is!

Another piece from the "SFM" genre that would work well for All Saints/All Souls is Messiaen's "Apparition of the Eternal Church".
  • GavinGavin
    Messiaen is also a favorite of mine. This year, it's Callahan's partita on Darwall's 148th, as I have a recital this Friday to prepare for.
  • RE ALL SAINTS -
    St Basil's School of Gregorian Chant will be singing for All Saints the Mass IX Cum Jubilo, the Introit, Offertory (with added Verse from the Offertoriale) and the Communion Antiphon, all from the GR - The Responsorial Psalm will be to psalm tone III with a chant-like respond, while Alleluya will be an easier plainchant version with its Verse to solemn tone V. During communion will be sung Jesu Redemptor Omnium Conserva (office hymn at I & II vespers). The Liturgy will be Novus Ordo (Latin). Organ voluntaries will be the Entree & Offertoire from Langlais' Suite Medieval (before mass) and an improvisation on Te Deum after mass. This will be a vigil mass with a Latin-singing priest, acolytes and smoke. All three readings AND the prayers of the faithfull will be sung. (It is the very LEAST that one could & should do!)

All this music has been learnt without reference to or aid from a musical instrument and will be sung by choir and people without 'accompiment'.

(GAVIN - What is your recital programme? Where (and when) is it to be played? Will there be CDs made? Who is the organbuilder? ??? ?????)
  • RE ALL SAINTS -
    St Basil's School of Gregorian Chant will be singing for All Saints the Mass IX Cum Jubilo, the Introit, Offertory (with added Verse from the Offertoriale) and the Communion Antiphon, all from the GR - The Responsorial Psalm will be to psalm tone III with a chant-like respond, while Alleluya will be an easier plainchant version with its Verse to solemn tone V. During communion will be sung Jesu Redemptor Omnium Conserva (office hymn at I & II vespers). The Liturgy will be Novus Ordo (Latin). Organ voluntaries will be the Entree & Offertoire from Langlais' Suite Medieval before mass, and an improvisation on Te Deum after mass. This will be a vigil mass with a Latin-singing priest, acolytes and smoke. All three readings AND the prayers of the faithfull will be sung. (It is the very LEAST that one could & should do!)

All this music has been learnt without reference to or aid from a musical instrument and will be sung by choir and people without 'accompiment'.

(GAVIN - What is your recital programme? Where (and when) is it to be played? Will there be CDs made? Who is the organbuilder? ??? ?????)
  • The Schola cantorum of the Palm Beaches will be singing 1st Vespers for All Saints on Oct 31 at St Patrick Catholic Church in Palm Beach Gardens, FL. We will be offering Palestrina's Magnificat in the 8th tone (transposed up a step) a 4 along with the 1962 chant assignments.
  • Organ Prelude: "O, wie selig seid ihr doch, ihr Frommen" by Franz Schmidt

Organ Postlude: "Placare Christe Servulis" by Marcel Dupré
  • kevinfkevinf
    l'Orgue Mystique Suite 48 (Office for All Saints) for Prelude, Communion and Postlude.

While I love Tournemire's notion that all should stay for the piece terminale, i think it highly idealistic and not very possible. At least in the contemporary American setting. Sortie is a more appropriate word where I am at. And a quick sortie at that.
  • ... a sort o' sortie then?
  • G
    Dr. Mike, I'm glad you posted on this -- but maybe it should have it's own "events announcement" thread?
    My Mom called from Florida last night, VEEEEEERY excited after reading about this in her parish bulletin up in Martin county.
    I blogged on it, but had found nothing on your schola's blogsite.

David Andrew, I'm glad, or I guess sorry, that it is not just mediocre would-be organists like myself who are castigated for "scary French music," those of you who are the real deal must put up with it , too?

Sometimes when I'm feeling snotty I put complainers on the spot, and make them try to nail down what they don't like.....

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • G, You had me there for a moment, but is on our blog.

http://palmbeachchant.blogspot.com/

Mike
  • eft94530eft94530
    Prelude: Placare Christe Servulis (Liturgique Book 7 Opus 65): Guilmant
    Postlude: Deo Gratias (Liturgique Book 10 Opus 65): Guilmant
  • CharlesW
    I am playing a postlude by Couperin and the title says, "Plein Jeu Premier couplet Du Gloria." He probably wrote 500 pieces with the same title, but I like this one. I rarely play preludes anymore except for very special holidays. By the time I get my choir in the loft and settled, I am nearly out of time for preludes.
  • Elbowing all the geriatric members out of the way to get up that winding staircase at HG can really take it out of you...
  • CharlesW
    Actually, if we come from the basement choir room, it's even more stairs. Since the basement renovation has been going on for months, we have been practicing a bit before masses in the loft. You are right about those choir loft stairs, they are wicked. But I love my wonderful geriatrics. They show up rain or shine, and do the best they can. Soon it will be Advent, when I will drop both preludes and postludes until Christmas Eve.
  • C_R_S
    Voluntaries for Holy Mass (All Souls):
    Prelude:
    Improvisation
    -followed by-
    Prelude on the Introit for All Souls: Requiem Aeternam | Gerald Near (b. 1942)
    Postlude:
    Placare Christe Servulis | Marcel Dupre (1886-1971)
    No. XVI from Le Tombeau de Titelouze

Vespers Voluntaries for All Souls:
    Prelude:
    Chorale Prelude on 'Eventide' | Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry (1848-1918)
    Postlude:
    'Nimrod' from Enigma Variations | Sir Edward Elgar (1857-1934)
    Thanked by 1Dave
  • Improvisation on the Gradual.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • As usual, my improvisation on the Alleluia chant melody will follow the Gospel. I'm going to play Charpentier's Processional Te Deum as a postlude.