Italy's "White List"
  • Kathy
    According for WDTPRS it looks as though Italy's bishop's conference has approved a list of music for worship: http://speciali.espresso.repubblica.it/pdf/canti-liturgici/canti-liturgici.pdf
  • One of the shocking things I heard on a pilgrimage to Italy in 2000 was Italian congregations singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic! I have no clue what words they were singing to that tune, but I was stunned. The only thing I recall was they sang 'Gloria' as two syllables to would fit the tune: Glor-ya. Between that and the other American pilgrims singing the usual pablum, not a musically edifying experience. Except the Italians seem to know Credo III.
  • David, On one of my trips to Italy, we wandered into ST. Mary sopra Minerva on All Saints Day, and the tune for the Sanctus was Nicea!!! alk about disillusionment!!! LOL

Donna
  • eft94530eft94530
    2001-may-7 Liturgiam authenticam
    http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20010507_liturgiam-authenticam_en.html
    # 108 "...Within five years from the publication of this Instruction,
    the Conferences of Bishops, necessarily in collaboration with the
    national and diocesan Commissions and with other experts,
    shall provide for the publication of a directory or repertory of
    texts intended for liturgical singing. This document shall be
    transmitted for the necessary recognitio to the Congregation
    for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments."

So, Italy is done.
    What about the USA?
  • We could do one for the Bishops and publicize it. Since they've failed to do it within the time frame requested. Or even mentioned that they are doing it. Maybe they are but are keeping it all secret from us to prevent the banning of the core repertoire of the American Catholic Church.

This kind of thing could gut the industry as young priests demand its use.
  • No interest or discussion on this subject is rather frightening.
  • chonakchonak
    Y'know, Frogman, *that's* an idea. Presenting the bishops with a proposed directory could have some influence on what they finally adopt.
  • And the list could be based upon...PBC/PBEH...to guarantee Catholicity.
  • chonakchonak
    As for the Italian list, most of us, even if we can read Italian enough to make out the titles, don't know the songs, so it's not easy to comment.

Here's an easy observation: of the 322 pieces (other than the Mass ordinary), 27 have Latin titles.

Of those, 8 are listed under "Masses of Our Lady"; 4 under "Eucharistic Adoration"; 4 for Easter season; 7 for Lent and Holy Week; 2 for Advent. Most of the Latin pieces are Gregorian works.

Anybody want to go through the long list and comment on the genres? Most of the pieces have a refrain or response structure: "antiphon and refrain", "hymn and refrain", "antiphon and verses", "responsorial canticle". There are some pieces listed as simply "hymn", "chorale", or "antiphon".

A few pieces are labeled with the term "troparion" (our Orthodox friends will be interested!); at Christmas, the repertoire includes some "lauda" pieces: if I remember right from music history class, those were a carol-like form from the early Renaissance.
  • Some publisher is going to seize all the music on the list and publish a hymnal which then would become the official Italian hymnal of the Church, even if never recognized as such by the church.

Then another publisher will do the same thing, but use better harmonizations, include guitar chords, descants.

Competition can be a good thing.
  • francis
    ...or we could substitute country song lyrics from Billboard's top 40 and then market it to the Italian Opera Houses... it would probably sell like gangbusters (and then the Church would definitely adopt them for good!)