Calendar collision
  • Well, I'm a few hours late, but I think its still worth noting that Sept. 3 is a great day for sacred music.
    In the OF calendar, its the feast of St. Gregory. In the EF calendar, its the feast of St. Pius X. How chant groovy is that?
  • JamJam
    Ha, when I first read the title of this thread, I thought you were talking about how the Eastern Pascha and Western Easter fall on the same day next year.
  • CharlesW
    You haven't experienced calendar confusion until you try to knock the Julian and Gregorian liturgical calendars together. The Julian side will call you a heretic for using the Gregorian, and those on the "new" calendar will call you an ignorant flat-earther for using the Julian.
  • About 20 years ago there was a period when we used to sing the new rite in Latin and the Tridentine rite on alternate Sundays. Talk about the clash of calendars! One I will always remember is the conflict on the 2d and 3d Sundays after Easter (Misericordia and Jubilate) - some years we would end up singing Jubilate for the Introit twice in a row and Misericordia not at all, or vice versa. The only way to keep it straight was for the schola member to have both a Liber and a Solesmes Graduale at his disposal.
  • I once met Mother Alexandra, the Princess Ileana of Romania. At one point, she said, in a thick accent, "Old calendar, new calender, eh, who cares?"
  • Hey, Sacred Music Gang!
    Today we have the feast of Christ the King in the OF ***AND*** St. Cecilia in the EF.
    Sooooooeeeeeet.

Frankly, any excuse for wine and chocolates works around my house. But today's feasts are wonderful indeed. Deo gratias!