Mater Ecclesiae's Assumption Mass
  • Lawrence
    Every year, Mater Ecclesiae parish in Berlin, NJ (materecclesiae.org) has a special Assumption Mass. Usually it is held at the cathedral in Camden, but due to some ongoing construction this year, it will be held at St. Peter’s in Merchantville, NJ. Fr. Robert Pasley, KHS, chaplain of the CMAA, will be the celebrant.

One of the main purposes of this Mass is to showcase large-scale works of sacred music which are not feasible in Mater Ecclesiae’s small chapel, so usually there is an orchestral Mass (weep and wail if you must; but there is nothing wrong with this), along with some other adventurous programing. Usually there is a small orchestra and about sixteen voices in the choir. Dr. Timothy McDonnell, former music director at Mater Ecclesiae, returns each year to conduct this Mass and does an excellent job of putting together an impressive ordo musicae, and—just as crucial—hiring the right musicians. There are no caterwaulers in this group who try to make chant sound like a Wagnerian recitative. (Gets off soapbox, exists stage left.) At any rate, here’s the music:

Hymn: O Sanctissima

Introit: Signum Magnum

Kyrie et Gloria: Haydn Missa S. Nicolai

Gradual: Audi, filia

Alleluia Assumpta est

Credo III, with an Et incarnatus by Franciso Valls

Offertory: Inimicitias ponam

Donizetti: Ave Maria

Fanceschini: Sonata in D for 2 Trumpets–Adagio

Tallis: Euge caeli porta

Sanctus, Benedictus, et Agnus: Haydn Missa S. Nicolai

Communion: Beatam me dicent

McDonnell: Surge, propera

Franceschini: Sonata in D for 2 Trumpets—Grave

Mozart: Ave Verum Corpus

Chant–Isaac: Ave Maris Stella

Hymn: Hail, Holy Queen (arr. McDonnell)

Postlude: Benedicta, Filia (Harold Boatrite—Mater Ecclesiae parishioner. This piece was written for Dr. McDonnell.)
  • priorstf
    Sounds wonderful, Lawrence. I'm curious what happened to the Agnus Dei. And for that matter the Gloria which I'd expect to hear on a Feast.

Can you provide date/time info?
  • chonakchonak
    I look forward to recordings, Michael!