Five Questions on the Formation of Music Ministers
  • CharlesW
    LOL. A good woman has been the salvation of many a guy. Wendy must be a very special lady.
  • G
    All right, since my post could be counted among "the number of rocks being thrown on this topic, the amount of vitriol," I wish to apologize for saying that the organization charged with accreditation and with a widespread influence on musician's formation was "ridiculous."
    I will amend my statement to say that their standards of accreditation for cantors are, or were when I looked into it, ridiculous.

The repertoire list from which to choose music for your cantor certification jury was:
    Examination Repertoire List

Responsorial Psalms—List A
    Psalm 22: My God, My God—
    Brubaker/Janco [PRM, C 135]
    Psalm 23: My Shepherd is the Lord
    —Gelineau [W3, 32]
    Psalm 51: Be Merciful, O Lord—
    Bedford [PRM, B 17]
    Psalm 80: The Vineyard of the Lord
    —Guimont [LP, 139]
    Psalm 85: Lord, Let Us See Your
    Kindness—Alstott [RA]
    Salmo 88 (89): Cantaré Eterna-
    mente/Forever I Will Sing— Reza
    [CE]
    Salmo 102 (103): El Señor Es
    Compasivo—Schiavone [RyA]

Responsorial Psalms—List B
    Psalm 23: Shepherd Me O God
    —Haugen [RS, 756]
    Psalm 34: Taste and See—Moore
    [UC 113]
    Salmo 41(42): Like a Deer/Como
    Busca la Cierva—Peña [CE]
    Psalm 89: Forever I Will Sing—
    Hughes [GIA]
    Psalm 98: All the Ends of the
    Earth (Refrain I)—Haugen/
    Haas [RS, 135]
    Psalm 91: Be With Me, Lord—
    Joncas [BB]
    Salmo 117(118): Éste Es el Día/
    This Is the Day (Estribillo/
    refrain II)—Reza [CE]

Mass Settings
    Memorial Acclamation
    and Great Amen
    A Community Mass (Proulx, GIA)
    Mass of Creation (Haugen, GIA)
    Mass of Redemption (Janco, WLP)
    Missa Emmanuel (Proulx, GIA)
    Misa Melodica (Mejía, OCP)
    Lamb of God
    Holy Cross Mass (Isele, GIA)
    A Community Mass (Proulx, GIA)
    Missa Emmanuel (Proulx, GIA)
    Mass of Creation (Haugen, GIA)
    Litany for the Breaking of the Bread
    (Gibala, GIA)
    Misa Melodica (Mejía, OCP)

Now, should the compilers of such a list be entrusted with the formation of musicians?
    I say, flatly, no, and that we cannot look to those who would so entrust them for guidance in the matter, but need to look elsewhere or to ourselves.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • CharlesW
    G, I agree. All of us who post here likely give our cantors more training than they would need to do anything on that list.
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Not a neume, square note or syllable of Latin in sight.

But there is Spanish. Gotta be able to sing in Spanish, doncha know. It's fast becoming the universal language of the Church.

Where's my bottle of Patron?
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Maybe it's just the Catholic wing of LULAC trying to counterbalance the push from certain Anglophone bishops, theologians, and liturgist who are pushing so strongly that English should replace Latin as the official language of the Church.
  • GavinGavin
    Well here's a question then, besides why we're all so much holier than the demons at NPM: Let's make up our own CMAA certifications. What would they have on it? A few of my suggestions:

Organist
    - Ability to play a 4-part hymn with pedals, transpose, improvise a descant, play an altered harmony.
    - Ability to improvise on a given chant for 2 minutes.
    - Ability to prepare an accompaniment to a given chant.
    - Familiarity with basic liturgical legislation on suitability of music.

Cantor
    - Ability to keep pitch a capella.
    - Ability to sing, at sight, a) a Gelineau/Proulx-style metrical psalm with chanted verse, b) a simplex antiphon
    - Prepare a communion chant for a Sunday from the Gradual
    - Sight-sing a pre-pointed text to any of the Gregorian tones
    - Familiarity with major musical legislation

Schola leader
    - Same as cantor above.
    - Facility in selecting motets appropriate to a day.
    - Familiarity with neume names.
    - Ability to explain briefly the principles of "Old Solesmes" and "New Solesmes" rhythmic practices.
    - Familiarity with the content of all liturgical legislation.

Just a few ideas.
  • CharlesW
    Hmm, you left out walking on water. Must have been an oversight. ;-) The problem with some of this list is that it requires things many church musicians would rarely, or never use.
  • Well, Gavin's criteria edify what I believe was the thrust of G's post and citations: the "dumbing down" of requisite skills is institutional, which makes it (to me) insidious and insulting. And to add injury to insult, try asking the average "cantor" (I won't call mine or other songleaders by that office) to negotiate the precious syncopations that the Matt Mahers, Sarah Harts, Thom Tomazseks, Tom Booths proffer in their PW ditties that end up in newsprint hymnals without....WAIT FOR IT......HAVING TO LISTEN REPEATEDLY TO THE RECORDING OF SAME! And a lot of us still grouse about doubly-dotted eighths in BNA, pshaw!
  • GavinGavin
    Eh, it's just a brainstorm. You say it includes things that many church musicians would rarely use, but can't that be said of 99% of what one learns in the conservatory? I tend to think of musical training as including as many tools for doing the job well as possible. I will never be at a point where my standing or failing in the liturgy will depend on my knowledge of a phrygian cadence, but it will make my Bach playing that much more satisfying to be able to identify it.

That is to say, I think we need to avoid a bare-bones approach to training musicians.
  • CharlesW
    I agree on avoiding a bare-bones approach. But it's obvious your memory is much better than mine.
  • chonakchonak
    Aristotle designed a curriculum for chant singers some time ago, and Gavin's suggestion is a good complement to it.
  • eft94530eft94530
    CW: "requires things many church musicians would rarely, or never use."

Okay, I'll bite.

Which things (and for each thing please give at least one specific reason for rarely/never)?
  • CharlesW
    The items I am more interested in are the fundamental things I will use every Sunday. Some reasons for this bare-bones practical approach follow. I suspect many others are in the same situation.

1.) I haven't transposed anything in ages, and have had no need to. I am forgetting how to do it.
    2.) I don't sing, other than as a choir singer, but have people who do.
    3.) The musical legislation is a tangled snarl of documents going back years. Trying to mesh them into something that really matters or has authority is an exercise in futility. I am familiar enough with them to put them aside and use common sense. They need to be re-written, and some of them should be suppressed. Fooling with those documents is a real time waster.
    4.) We don't use neumes. I can read them, but our choir music isn't written in them, nor does it need to be.
    5.) I haven't had any real need to improvise since I left the employ of the Protestants. I have so much music for any occasion I use it, instead.
    6.) I tend to write descants and harmonies out, not do them from sight or memory. But I'm very careful with such, because they can really throw a singing congregation off.
    7.) My memory is not so great that I remember and stay proficient in things I rarely use. If others can do it, then that's wonderful for them.
    8.) I am a full-time school teacher and a music/director organist with 4 Sunday masses. I have no extra time for anything I can't immediately use, and barely have enough time to practice. I don't look for other things to do, especially the more esoteric parts of music for their own sake. Must be nice to have that kind of time, but I haven't had it since college.
  • G
    The low level of difficulty isn't my main quibble with the rep list, (it is for basic certification, after all,) it is the bias against the Church's actual music, and against the "Sacred Treasury", in favor of the faddish, the ephemeral, and the, oh surprise, property of NPM's contributors.

I can't remember if it was for this basic certification or the next step up where the singer is required to provide music for self, and accompanist, (also the duty of the applicant to provide and compensate,) and three judges.

No photocopies allowed.

Anyway, I have no problem with the idea of levels of certification, and the skill set for the lowest level need not be too daunting.

But being able to point a psalm verse in ones vernacular, and to pronounce the entire Ordinary in, and translate it from, Latin and Greek should be an absolute requirement.

A moderately bright 3rd grader with an interest in music can do those, so an adult who wants his name in the NPM magazine, (that part made the whole thing seem about as meaningful, and valid, as star registry....) and to get up in front of his congregation and sing ought to be able to manage.

But are you certain there was no Latin on that list -- isn't there Latin in Proulx's setting?

• CharlesW
    G, I do essentially agree with you. As you say, it's the "faddish, the ephemeral, and the, oh surprise, property of NPM's contributors" that one could find plenty of reasons to object to.

In church music there are many jobs, and not all of them require the same knowledge or abilities. It would seem that if these certifcations are to be meaningful, they would need to actually apply to the work individual musicians are doing. As for the sacred treasury, that's an unknown to far too many. I suspect there are many more who don't know of it, than there are who oppose it.
  • I find that certification thing above from NPM to be astounding. I don't know a single good musician who would compromise his or her own artistic integrity enough to pass it. It seems like a plan to rule out anyone with taste and actual competence, not to mention some measure of liturgical discernment. Maybe it actually works toward the opposite effect: plenty of younger priests could easily rule out from the stack of CVs any "certified" applicants.
    It occurs to me as this lively discussion wages on that at the core of it we're confusing utility with benefit of the knowledge. That's a very dangerous, post-Modern (ooo, that word "Modern" . . . declared a heresy as I recall) attitude that taps into the notion that the only things worth knowing are those things that have a utilitarian function. This is suggestive of a lack of interest in acquiring knowledge of a subject or a thing for the sake of the knowledge itself.

For example, simply because in my previous position we didn't sing neumes and the choir wasn't particularly interested in taking the time as a whole group to learn how to read them and sing from square note scores, it doesn't necessarily follow that I shouldn't learn about the form of notation used by the Church consistently for over a millenium and be capable of reading and singing it.

"Not having time" is an excuse we should rail against, especially if we feel that the dailiness of our work precludes us from learning and expanding the knowledge we have. This is even more critical because we as sacred musicians are the holders of an inestimable treasure of the patrimony of the Church, called upon to teach this and pass it on especially to young people. We must therefore jealously guard our time, insisting that our employers provide for adequate time to study, learn, grow and expand the knowledge of our craft.

When I first took my current position, I knew precious little about how to accompany a hymn from a melody-only edition. I have always poured scorn on any organist who couldn't play from a standard score, but failed to realize that being able to play a decent accompaniment from a melody line (and not the typical bar-room "melody and chord" stuff, but an actual hymn-like rendering with good voice leading) was an important skill. I had learned the basics of this in a keyboard harmony skills class I "had" to take in college, but thought to myself, "I'll never need this in a month of Sundays; I always use the standard hymn harmonizations and will always play them as written." Little did I know that the Polish hymnals I'd be playing from in my current job didn't have an accompaniment edition and I therefore would have to be able to render on the spot harmonizations from a melody or two-part harmony version of these hymns, and more importantly do so with the harmonies appropriate to Polish folk-based (read, national/folk) hymns.

Finally let me leave you with this quote from Mechtilde de Magdaburg, who said,"Stupidity is sufficient unto itself. Wisdom never ceases learning."
  • CharlesW
    I think that if you are blessed enough to have a full-time position that pays a full-time wage, then not having time is not a good excuse. If, on the other hand, your position is nearly full-time, but you are having to work two or three jobs to make ends meet because the salary is nowhere near full-time, not having time is a pretty good reason. Some of you privileged folks need to get out of your ivory towers and see how things are at the smaller and more remote churches.
  • GavinGavin
    "Not having time" is an excuse we should rail against, especially if we feel that the dailiness of our work precludes us from learning and expanding the knowledge we have.

As with CharlesW, I will add that there's a difference between not having time and not getting paid to have the time. We all rail against the old lady who says "I don't have the time to read that stuff" (in reference to liturgical legislation), BUT if she's being paid $75/Mass, why SHOULD she take the time?
  • G
    We all rail against the old lady who says "I don't have the time to read that stuff" (in reference to liturgical legislation), BUT if she's being paid $75/Mass, why SHOULD she take the time?

It depends -- if she is played $75/Mass to play and/or sing music, no reason, having to do with her job.
    If she is being paid $75/Mass to select music, unless she is ignorant of the existence of the legislation, she has a moral obligation to do so.
    And the person who appointed her to such a position has a moral obligation to make it possible for her to do so, and to see to it that she does.

The trouble arises because half the time HE doesn't know of its existence, or, having learned of it, is as happily know-nothing as the average PIP.

Although I didn't mention it on the "just wage" thread, I thought, as I do now, that it all gets back to the seminaries.

Priests must be educated, not just to know things; but also to be made aware of what they don't know and how they can either educate themselves or how they can find the people who know and on whose advice they can depend.

I think things are improving, but I'm still seeing new priests and deacons who look at me as if I were exhibiting signs of glossolalia when I utter the words "proper", or "ordinary,", ("Oh! you mean the 'Mass Parts'!") but it's not as bad as the priest I met who had been ordained in the late '90s and said he had never been acquainted with the GIRM until after he became a priest, and that when he brought up matters he learned in reading it, he was told by his pastor/boss, "Oh, we don't bother with that hand washing thing here...")

Save the Liturgy, Save the World
    CharlesW and Gavin,

I'm working on a reply to your responses. I'm letting it set for awhile because I don't want to turn this into a "spitting contest" and would like to keep my responses civil and intelligent.

I hope, however, that it wasn't your intention to suggest that I was an "ivory tower elitist."

If it was, I take exception to the suggestion. Umbrage, actually.

And, I agree with G. This isn't just a matter of acquiring esoteric knowledge like a collector. There is a moral imperative that we have this knowledge and know how to apply it, even if, and especially if, our employers (priests) don't. In fact, we are obliged in conscience to obey the directives contained in the instructions promulgated by the Holy See. If we know they're there and fail to follow them, it's an error.
  • CharlesW
    I would hope you are not an ivory tower elitist, but I do suspect you have a full-time music job in a larger church. If true, that would give you more time to pursue musical items of interest, not necessarily what you immediately need to keep your head above water. That would be especially true if you are also fortunate enough to have support staff.

Yes, we should follow church teachings on music, tangled though they are, as best we can. Esoteric knowledge is, esoteric. It can be a rewarding pastime for academics, and those with actual time for those interests. I might find it interesting, too, if I had the time. My work week averages between 60 hours per week and up, so it's not a matter of making time. There isn't any to spare. It wouldn't surprise me if that's closer to the norm for many church musicians.
  • miacoyne
    CharlesW, is there anybody who can help you, I mean volunteers? So you can cut some of your actual working hours. You could advertise in the bulletin asking for volunteers on things you need help with and/or ask school parents to help.
    We have MD who is hired as a full time, but she actually does only 2 Masses out of 5. All others are done by volunteers. And her responsiblity is adult choir and the children's choir once a week practice.
    CharlesW:

I lost my full-time job in March, and was living on the few dollars they threw me in their "separation agreement," most of which was gobbled up by legal fees anyway. By the time I prepared to move back home in May, I was penniless and had to borrow money from my parents just to pay for the move. I'm now working for a church that is able, for the time being anyway, thanks be to God, to pay me decently, but not enough that I can live on my own. It is located in the Detroit area of Michigan, which is facing an unemployment rate of 15.4%, as of June. I'm 45 years old, and single (by vocational choice) and fortunate to be able to fall back on the charity of my parents who are letting me take up rooms in their basement until I can get back on my feet. If I hadn't had that circumstance, I would be living in a shelter or on the streets without a penny to my name and lost all of my possessions and tools of my trade, including my organ music and all of my books on liturgy and music along with my prayerbooks, etc., after having faithfully served the Church for the last 11 years at a number of parishes.
  • CharlesW
    That is unfortunate and you will be in my prayers. I do recall some of your posts at the other church and it sounded like a bad situation. It appears you were not treated in a Christian manner. I would think Catholic churches probably pay better in Detroit, but if they are like the ones here, they pay significantly less than comparable mainline Protestant churches.

At the age of 61, of course I would consider you almost a teenager. ;-) I teach school, but am quite worn down by it. It would be nice to be a full-time musician and not have to do anything else. If I had it to do over again, I might not go into music. You know, when I think about it, the way the Church treats its musicians, it doesn't deserve to have any.
    Thank you.

I'm fortunate that I'm in a position where the progressivist establishment hasn't beaten me in to either submission or resignation. I'll keep fighting for the principles that I think are right and based in Truth (capital "T") because I try to keep the four last things before me.

And to be fair, it's not the Church that has mistreated her musicians, it is a certain group of men in positions of authority who must be called to account. Would I do it again if I had it to do over? Probably, but perhaps not as my primary career.
  • G
    I am hoping to attend St John Cantius next week for the Vigil of the Assumption, when they have Professions every year.
    In looking into it, I learned first that there will be an opportunity to pray by joining my mind, heart and soul to the singing of that beautiful Faure, (now THAT's F'cap,) and second, this "reading list" which might be pertinent to the question at hand:
    Important Texts
    · The Holy Bible
    · Catechism of the Catholic Church
    · Documents of the Vatican Council II:
    · The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy (Sacrosanctum Concilium).
    · The Dogmatic Constitution on the Church (Lumen Gentium).
    · The Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World (Gaudium et Spes).
    · Post-Conciliar Documents on the Sacred Liturgy:
    · Instruction on Music in the Sacred Liturgy (Musicam Sacram).
    · The Roman Missal (Missale Romanum).
    · General Instruction on the Roman Missal.
    · Graduale Romanum.
    · The Code of Canon Law (Codex Juris Canonici).
    · Papal Documents:
    · Pope Pius XII: On the Mystical Body of Christ and Our Union With It (Mystici Corporis).
    · Pope Pius XII: On Christian Worship (Mediator Dei).
    · Pope Paul VI: On the Propagation of Human Life (Humanae Vitae).
    · Pope John Paul II: The Consecrated Life (Vita Consecrata)
    · Pope John Paul II: The Splendor of Truth (Veritatis Splendor)
    · Pope John Paul II: Motu Proprio Eccessia Dei
    · Benedict XVI: Motu Proprio ‘Summorum Pontificum’

I would include Tra le sollecitudine in that list, only because there are times when later documents and writings make reference to it.
  • We might consider what are the absolutely non-negotiable skills (let's leave organ out of it for now).

First, I would say the ability to sing from the Parish Book of Chant. This would imply familiarity with the core repertoire and comfort with neumes. You can't really be a parish musician without those skills. No matter how great otherwise, not knowing the basic people's music and sing from neumes mean no progress in the future.

Second, the ability to inspire people and work with a range of personalities. Same here: a vast amount of the work comes down to dealing with people and volunteers.

Third, know about and be able to use technology so as to employ the use of free online materials; otherwise the parish will be spending vast amounts of money on inferior music.

Fourth, the person should be able to defend the case for sacred music from tradition and Church teaching.

I think I would pretty much stop there. What am I missing?
  • Ok, I've posted on this topic. It is a difficult topic, so I would welcome any comments or criticisms, public or private.
  • GavinGavin
    I disagree on the third as a non-negotiable skill. Why should someone adopt a libertarian view of intellectual property in order to be an effective church musician? It's a plus to be able to save the church money, but I don't see how it's necessary that they not give the choir anything that isn't a one-sided stapled photocopy. And I think organ skill plays SOME role, but that can be ascertained by having applicants play for a Mass and considering their hymn-leading skills. Although I would agree that it's not a non-negotiable.
  • GavinGavin
    Playing on the third area: I would say a knowledge (or willing to learn about) of copyright law is essential. I recall in the interview at my last job, the priest asked me a specific question about a hypothetical copyright situation and concluded with "what would you do?" I said, "I would ask you what to do." Apparently that was the right answer!
  • CharlesW
    I would disagree that it is necessary to know the PBC backwards and forward. It's good, I really like it, and it's good music. But there's much more to Catholic music than PBC. As for neumes, I read them, but am not ready to inflict ancient notation on my congregation, despite the "nuances" evident only to other musicians. Neumes could be a skill along with many other necessary skills, but not a determining factor in whether or not someone is hired.

Why should we leave organ out? It seems that church documents that are used to promote chant also promote organ equally as much.

Dealing with people and volunteers. Sometimes easier said than done, but a good skill to have. However, we are musicians, not necessarily saints. Volunteers can sometimes try the patience of a saint.

Defend sacred music from tradition? Sounds wonderful, but even the church doesn't do all that good a job of it. A musician's leadership in this area can only be as effective as the pastor who backs him.

Technology? Also good, and free is always better. But some churches can easily afford to buy music, so it's not a make or break quality to be able to find free stuff. Superior music can be purchased, too.

It would be good to have a working knowledge of copyright legislation.
  • GavinGavin
    I disagree on the PBC, Charles. I think Jeff is only saying that a musician ought to be able to look at it and sing any chant therein. Not a difficult task, as those hymns are the easiest in the chant repertoire. It doesn't necessitate that the congregation would do so either (and I think you and I would be in the minority in agreeing that's not desirable), but I'd say that to maximize his utilization of available resources, the successful Catholic musician should be able to handle neums. As for familiarity, if I were hiring a MD, I probably wouldn't hire someone who couldn't at least hear "O Fili" and say "aha! That's an Easter hymn!"

I think the problem with "deal with people and volunteers" is how an interviewer distinguishes between a jerk and a saint. But that's more the realm of good interviewing than whether or not it should be a requirement.

Defending music is part of the job. The Catholic musician is going to get the angry old woman asking why he didn't play "Let there be peace" on the weekend of July 4th. He ought to be able to say something better than "I liked my selection better."

As for organ... while organ is good, there's NOTHING that requires it. Sorry. Catholic music is vocal. I'd say it's better to have only vocal music than to have vocal music and bad organ music, so yes, a priest ought to evaluate a musician's skill with vocalists more carefully than his skill as an organist.
  • CharlesW
    I think it depends on whether you are hiring a vocalist or an organist. Not every musician does both. Of course it's a money thing, but some churches can hire both singers and players. And I repeat, those church documents calling for chant mention the pipe organ, as well. So should we have an annual document toss and anathema hurl? LOL. May the weightiest document win. ;-)

You are correct that the PBC is simple. I just wouldn't build an entire music program around it. There's a surprising amount of chant in some hymnals, so chant can always be included in any program.

I am fortunate to work for a priest who was a fine organist in his younger days, and still sight sings better than I do. However, something has happened to music training in the seminaries. I meet priests who really don't know the difference between good and bad music. I suspect far too many wouldn't be able to make very good assessments of candidate skills.
  • right right, yes. I agree. maybe I was unclear. I'm using the PBC as an archtype: know the basic material and be able to ready neumes. That's all I mean.

As for tech facility, it is of course possible that the musician can have someone else dig music up from the web and make programs and play with images and etc. that is possible. But there will be a disconnect there. You are probably right that the skill should not be considered non-negotiable but there are parishes that squandered thousands and thousands of dollars for inferior material solely because the musician lacks this skill.

and no, I do NOT mean that people need to have my IP views. I really don't think I implied that actually.
  • CharlesW
    Jeffrey, now that you have explained it, I am in agreement with you.
  • should I make this clearer in my post? was I misleading in any way?
  • CharlesW
    I think your post is essentially clear. I may have read more exclusiveness into it concerning PBC than you meant. Perhaps if it comes across as one of the ways to accomplish an end, not the only means to it
  • eft94530eft94530
    Cantor Formation and Certification in Los Angeles
    Maybe someone else can discover more info about this series of classes (Part A),
    and details about the second half (Part B) of this process?

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:J_IEdpCPkWsJ:www.la-archdiocese.org/news/pdf/news_1071_Registration%20Form%20-%20Nelson%2009.doc+site:www.la-archdiocese.org+music&cd=62&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
  • G
    Cantor Formation and Certification in Los Angeles

Each person attending Cantor Certification, Part A must have:

1. Basic ability to read music notation, both in terms of pitch and rhythm
    2. Basic ability to learn music
    3. Ability to match pitch and maintain a melody
    4. Capability of singing in a clear and pleasant manner
    5. Basic knowledge of liturgy and the order of liturgy
    6. Basic spirit of hospitality and service.

It is also expected that participants attend Mass regularly and are people of prayer.

Odd, that one "must" have the first 6, (not sure what that "basic spirit of hospitality and service" and who who be determined not to possess it...) but Mass attendance is only expected, as opposed to required, and it need only be regular, not faithful.
    Perhaps they train non-Catholics in the program.

• GavinGavin
    I see nothing wrong with that list. I would expect the same of any cantor who wishes to begin learning.
  • Quite a few posts back, but someone was talking about the NPM becoming irrelevant. The latest edition of the GIA Quarterly (Not to be confused with GQ) has several interesting but rather depressing articles. One by Virgil Funk seems to be a last-ditch effort at rallying the aging -hippies of Vatican II to fire up their "smoldering resistance" to the recent movements of the "hierarchy" to take back control of the liturgy from "the people". Geeezzz... and then another article is about "contemporary ensembles" and their aging membership as most of them evolved from Folk Groups in the 60's and 70's. Both of these authors are NPM insiders. If this is what NPM considers moving forward, they are indeed irrelevant.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Yes, but why no comments on:
    eight weeks duration
    several textbooks (what are all the docs they contain?)
    completion of part A give you access to part B

What is Part B ??

Please folks, do some googling and contribute value.
    Certainly CMAA people can provide something at least as good as someone under Cdl Mahoney!

Oh, I forgot, we are waiting for our "leaders" to do it. :-)
  • priorstf
    The several textbooks are listed on their site as:

1. Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy
    2. General Instruction on the Roman Missal (2002)
    3. Sing to the Lord
    4. Guide for Cantors by Jennifer Kerr Breedlove and Paul Turner, Liturgy Training Publications, Chicago, IL, 2007.

The first three are available on line for no charge that I'm aware of and they should certainly be a part of any cantor's and DM's library. I'm unfamiliar with the last of the four. That being said, the classroom interpretation of those documents would be the important part. They can be spun into just about any direction.

Don't see anything on Part B. I'd even be interested in knowing how many takers they have at $120 a pop for the Part A. Since it interests you, why don't you give their office a call on behalf of all the CMAA membership?
  • The Parish Book Of Chant is a compendium of where Western music we hear and sing today came from, from Mahler to Billy Joel. All should have it and understand it.
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    I was intrigued by Chironomo's comment above about the article he saw in GIA Quarterly. Alas, that periodical (and thus that article) doesn't seem to be accessible online, but I was able to find a sample article seemingly in very much the same vein as what Chironomo described.