Ave Maria
  • Does anyone know where I can find the Ave Maria (i think there are at least 2) that begin with the gregorian intonation and then split into parts....having hte music and an audio file would be awesome!
  • JamJam
    Hey, I've sung alto on one of those once! I still have the music. I don't know where you can get it, but I can tell you that the music is from Tomás Luis de Victoria (1548-1611). The song starts with the chant "Ave Maria" in the soprano line and goes into parts from there.

...Just did some looking, and I found something very similar to the music I have. It's attached. There are a few differences here and there I found in a quick comparison, but nothing substantial. I don't know where our music director got all his music from.
  • cpdl is a beautiful thing.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • lmassery
    I'm borrowing this thread to ask if anyone has a copy of this Victoria Ave Maria with KEYBOARD REDUCTION. Not a single version on CPDL has the reduction. Thanks!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here's the Jacobus Handl (a.k.a. T. L. de Victoria) 4-part Ave Maria, with a keyboard reduction of the voice parts. I'll be posting it to CPDL before long.
  • lmassery
    Thank you very much CH!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In related news, the Ave Maria is apparently very soothing.