Suggestions for a Processional Hymn on Holy Thursday
  • JacobFlahertyJacobFlaherty
    Hello, all! My pastor requests a Processional Hymn on Holy Thursday before we sing the Introit at the incensation of the altar (this is our custom at our O.F./N.O. Mass). Never been terribly thrilled with what I've picked before. What do YOU use? (For the record, we've sung, Lord, Who At Thy First Eucharist and Humbly We Adore Thee (Adoro Te, Devote) in previous years. For some reason those just don't seem like the best choices. Maybe I'm missing an obvious potential choice...!?
  • Chaswjd
    Our it is to Joy and Glory

It is a rough translation of the Introit.

It starts at about 2:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPD4suAGdWQ
    Thanked by 1JacobFlaherty
  • CatholicZ09
    Lift High the Cross
  • Liam
    Lift High The Cross is the one I've encountered most frequently - by far - over the last four decades.

It's easier to understand when you realize there's only one processional hymn of the Holy Thursday-Good Friday-Easter Vigil liturgy/ies, which is/are an united set.
  • lmassery
    Lift high the cross is the best overall choice as it corresponds closely to the spirit of the introit text.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    "At that first Eucharist" UNDE ET MEMORES
    Thanked by 2BruceL JacobFlaherty
  • mmeladirectress
    We use “Nos autem”
  • rich_enough
    For a change of pace you might consider "The Word of God Proceeding Forth," set to ROCKINGHAM, or better yet, set to HEREFORD, a wonderful melody by Samuel Sebastian Wesley. The text is a translation of St. Thomas Aquinas' hymn at Lauds for Corpus Christi, Verbum supernum prodiens.
  • GambaGamba
    Newman’s Praise to the Holiest in the height is great – covers everything contained in the Holy Thursday liturgy.
  • CatholicZ09
    If you’re an OCP parish, Schutte’s “Glory in the Cross” is popular with many parishes, but I would definitely pick “Lift High the Cross” if I had the chance.
  • Carol
    We also use Lift High The Cross. As I mentioned once before, I don't like the half notes in measures 4 and 6 of the verses, because I don't think it goes well with the lyrics on most of the verses. I would prefer a dotted half and a quarter most of the time.
    Thanked by 2Liam JacobFlaherty
  • PaxTecum
    we use the introit "nos autem" but in the past have sung this: https://hymnary.org/text/see_us_lord_about_your_altar

I second rich_enough's suggestion, though -- that is great hymn!
  • Liam
    For those unfamiliar with it, this is the tune pairing of Praise to The Holiest in Hymns, Psalms and Spiritual Canticles 2nd edition and its predecessors (best thought of as in a flowing tempo of 120 bpm or a stately double time of 60 minims per min.)

• CGM
    Let Joys Be Joined To Solemn Feasts.

It's a paraphrase of Aquinas's Eucharistic hymn "Sacris Solemniis", set to the tune Old Hundredth. Even with unfamiliar words, the tune is so familiar that everyone in the congregation can sing along from the very first note...

• PhilipPowell
    Jesus, Priest and Victim to KING’S WESTON.
    3024 x 2820 - 828K
  • Here's a text I wrote that is sung to ICH GLAUB AN GOTT ("To Jesus Christ, our Sovereign King") with optional parts for choir and C Instrument:
    https://giamusic.com/resource/we-glory-in-the-cross-of-christ-print-g9055
  • cesarfranck
    I like.all of ideas above. I also use "My God, Thy table now is spread" sung to Rockingham or "Fairest Lord Jesus" to either of family tunes. Many will disagree, but I also have used two favorite evening hymns -- "The day Thou gavest" or "Now the day is over." (I play in an Episcopalian/Anglican parish.) The communion hymn is always "Adoro te."
  • Chrism
    Glory Be to Jesus
    Ah, Holy Jesu
    What Wondrous Love
    Where Charity and Love Prevail
    I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say (3rd Tune)

Lift high the cross is the best overall choice as it corresponds closely to the spirit of the introit text.

While it covers the same theme, I would question if it shares the same spirit. And, in any event, one need not at all ever match the Introit with a Processional, let alone when as the OP says, both will be sung.
  • MatthewRoth
    I don’t think that it fits at all, particularly on Holy Thursday — I don’t think that it fits on September 14 (or May 3 where that feast is still observed), but it at least that is a feast in the usual sense (and you can at least use it at the end if desired).

And some of the other tunes suggested really clash as well…
    I don’t think that it fits at all, particularly on Holy Thursday

I tend to agree with you. I think the hymn is a bit too triumphant for the day. That's why it's a difficult day to plan. It has a sort of melancholy baked in which isn't reflected by that hymn.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CatholicZ09
    I can understand that sentiment, but the introit entreats us to glory in the Cross of Christ through whom we are delivered. The Cross becomes the instrument of our salvation. That’s joyful!
  • francis
    No, there’s nothing joyful about the passion of Jesus and Holy Week. It also irks me when people want to tack a 15th Station on the stations of the cross. The resurrection.

The whole deal about trying to match the text of the proper to a hymn is a weak connection. You can’t substitute a hymn for a proper text in my mind. It’s just another innovation that seems partly born out of guilt that one is not doing what is prescribed by the church to begin with.
  • josephw
    Maybe just a simple Taize antiphon?

"Bless the Lord My Soul"
    "Ubi Caritas"

Something like that may be easier to transition into the Introit then using a full hymn.
  • rich_enough
    @PaxTecum - I have to give credit to you for introducing me to "The Word of God Proceeding Forth" set to Hereford - wonderful!
    Thanks for the discussion, everyone! I think it's tough, and everyone comes with their own ideas. I appreciate hearing from you all!
    Thanked by 3josephw tomjaw francis