Fanfares for Gloria in Excelsis
  • Ted
    Would anyone know of some interesting fanfares for the Gloria in Excelsis on Maudy Thursday (Mass VIII), and first Mass of Pasch at the Pascal Vigil (Mass I)?
  • trentonjconn
    I'd recommend finding something from among the million pieces of short easy French baroque repertoire out there. A nice plein/grande jeux or reedy dialogue or prelude in whichever key you're using to accompany the Gloria would be fitting. Check out the Montreal livre d'orgue on IMSLP. Make sure your choice for Thursday doesn't outshine your choice for Saturday!
  • CatholicZ09
    The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception uses some type of fanfare when they do this Gloria at the Easter Vigil. I’m sure Dr. Latona wrote it, and you can likely get a copy of it if you contact their music office.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • MatthewRoth
    Trenton’s recommendation is good (I’m on my phone and I can’t just “thank”…) and is a real highlight for me when this is done. Nice to see it making a sort of comeback.
    Thanked by 1trentonjconn
  • I recall a fanfare for the Gloria at the Vigil, but am less certain I recall the same for Holy Thursday.
    Thanked by 1trentonjconn
  • CGM
    You might also consider Giovanni Gabrieli's modal intonations. Perhaps one of them, transposed into the key you need, would be suitable for each of those moments.
  • francis
    tnx for this link CGM... will use terzo et quarto tono today! but my adjustment will be to play in Ab, double the eighths and sixteenths to stretch it out and not sound too flambouant but more majestic. (it will be used for Byrds Mass a4)
    Thanked by 1CGM