Vespers program resources
  • Gaudium
    Hi all, I'm preparing a sung vespers for our upcoming patronal feast day, and I'm wondering where the best resources are to put musical notations (English, either chant or modern) into my program (preferably png or jpg files?). For example, the introductory verse, etc. I imagine there's somewhere that has clean copies of this, rather than me try to type it out in Source & Summit editor or something similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • MatthewRoth
    Someone may have gabc files of English chant ready to go.

But for the future: I recommend learning LaTeX and Gregorio to make the scores, at least. You can insert PDFs as graphics into other programs (although the results may or may not cause issues); at the very least you have more control.

The same is true with your preferred editor for modern notation.

You can also make the whole booklet in LaTeX. I think that it’s worth it, personally. But it’s a lot to learn. What I don’t recommend is using Source and Summit except for quick editing where you need a visual right away but need just the gabc at the end, not the graphic. It isn’t running Gregorio (not an up-to-date version), you have less control, and the graphical export is messy.
  • Gaudium
    Thanks, Matthew. I don't know anything about LaTeX and Gregorio other than hearing about them. I've been using this: https://www.sourceandsummit.com/editor/alpha/ and it seems to export easily as PNGs or your choice of image files, and it looks nice in my programs on the few occasions I've used it. I'll look into LaTeX and Gregorio.
  • MatthewRoth
    Right… I've heard this from people, but the EUOUAE feature of gabc doesn't work (not usually applicable if you print the psalm tone, but maybe you need to set an introit for an experienced schola and wish to print only EUOUAE in that case). And then… just what is going on with everything else. Yikes. (I realize that the vowel alignment is set for English, but it's not any better with Latin.)

You can try out Gregorio if you go to Overleaf.

3600 x 5400 - 508K
  • FKulash
    Matthew: Can you recommend any sites or books for learning LaTeX? Is there a plae to post questions about it?
  • lmassery
    This blog I wrote about how to plan vespers links to several resources that you may find useful
    https://www.antiphonrenewal.com/post/how-to-do-sung-vespers-at-your-parish
    Thanked by 2FKulash Gaudium
  • MatthewRoth
    @FKulash

Sure.

The Tex Users’ Group.

Linked there are the subreddit and TeXSE.

There are books (mostly available as PDFs). The real gritty stuff is in Knuth’s the TeXBook.

TeX by Topic is also handy.

For raw beginners, I love this web-based e-book.

For Gregorio specifically, in addition to the actual website.
    Thanked by 1FKulash
  • igneusigneus
    @lmassery to the blog post:

Reading: Have a lector read this and end with "The Word of the Lord."

There is no "The Word of the Lord" after any of the readings of the LOTH, in Vespers or elsewhere.