Sing, O sing, this blessed morn (Charles H. Giffen)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I composed the tune McShane (77. 77. 77) a long time ago, and used it to set the Christmas day hymn "Sing, O sing, this blessed morn" (text by Christopher Wordsworth). The tune in the Hymnal 1940 (and also 1982) has been used previously, but doesn't really fit the text all that well (to my way of thinking).

In addition to a straightforward "hymnal" setting (no frills, no descants), I also arranged a hymn/anthem setting, which can be used for choir & congregation (the latter on stanzas 3 & 5 only) or choir alone. It is a joy to sing, so I invite you to sing along with the audio file that simulates a performance of this arrangement. Perhaps you will find it useful for a Christmas day Mass in the future! I've attached the "hymnal" score, the full hymn/anthem score, a congregation score, and the MP3 audio file for the hymn/anthem setting.

Merry Christmas to all!!

• TCJ
    My choir sings this, but I can't remember the tune name we use. It's not any of the one on Hymnary or the 1940 one.

EDIT: We use VOLLER WUNDER.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    I agree with @CHG that the tune ENGLAND'S LANE doesn't fit the Christopher Wordsworth hymn "Sing, O sing, this blessed morn" that well. And it appears that hymnal editors don't rate the text very high either, since it has appeared in no hymnal published after The Hymnal 1982. The tune McSHANE is a fine one. But so is DIX for this text. I felt that the text would be better served with a spritely carol, so I penned one yesterday (on another thread).
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • Marek66Marek66
    Christmas atmosphere can be heard
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen