Looking for a chant (Rev 15:3-4)
  • Greetings everyone.
    I'm looking at the vespers for the Feast of St Joseph (March 19) on ibreviary. The psalm for the third antiphon is Revelation 15:3-4, the "hymn of adoration", but elsewhere called the "song of the redeemed". The first words are "Magna et mirabilia" and I assume there is a setting of this in Gregorian chant but I could not find it. Would someone please let me know where I could find that setting? Thanks in advance.
  • GerardH
    The Antiphonale Romanum II has the text pointed to sing with psalm tone 8g
    Thanked by 1Gustavo Zayas
  • I know there are antiphons that contain "Magna ... rex saeculorum". But what I am looking for is a version with the scripture as it appears on ibreviary, see below.

Mighty and wonderful are your works, *
    Lord God Almighty!
    Righteous and true are your ways, *
    O King of the nations!

Who would dare refuse you honor, *
    or the glory due your name, O Lord?

Since you alone are holy, *
    all nations shall come
    and worship in your presence. *
    Your mighty deeds are clearly seen.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, *
    and to the Holy Spirit:
    as it was in the beginning, is now, *
    and will be for ever. Amen.
  • Found it! Thank you, Gerard. I don't yet have my own AR2, but I think I may just ask for it for Christmas.
  • igneusigneus
    I assume there is a setting of this in Gregorian chant but I could not find it.

In the chant repertory psalms and canticles don't have settings, they are chanted to psalm tones.

If you need just the Latin text pointed to a psalm tone, you can get the text here and have it pointed here.
    Thanked by 1Gustavo Zayas
  • Thank you, igneus. I did not know exactly how to express what I was requesting. I had assumed that since that canticle did not come from an actual psalm, and it is a relative short section of Scripture, that there would be a hymn setting or a long antiphon. Interesting resource. I saved the link, thanks.