For those of you who do Lessons and Carols...
  • What date does it normally fall on? If it's during Advent, how do you preserve the integrity of the season? Do you fudge the fact that it's Advent to give people Christmas carols? Do you utilize primarily advent-y repertoire instead? If so, is it well-received? If you schedule it for during Christmastide, is it well-attended? I know it isn't a Catholic tradition and that there are ways to structure it as the Office of Readings, but I'm not looking to engage in discussion on those topics. I have our L&C planned and (partially) rehearsed for this year, but I ask these questions for help planning in the future.
    Thanked by 1Bri
  • In the past, I have followed the model of King's College but putting the emphasis on Advent as opposed to a Christmas L&C. This is the program that I planned and executed with the choir and schola cantorum at the St. Lawrence Catholic Campus Center at the University of Kansas in December of 2021.

The program is as follows so you can see the structure and readings used. While it is not a Liturgy proper, I took a very liturgical approach to planning and executing this so as to more closely tie it to a sense of Catholic Spirituality as opposed to "just a concert." It doesn't quite adhere to the "9 Lessons and Carols" Model, but it still works quite well.

Opening Voluntary
    Advent "Prose" - Rorate Caeli (Chant Hymn)
    Processional Hymn: Come Thou, Redeemer of the Earth (Puer Nobis Nascitur)
    Opening Prayer: modeled on the King's prayer, but made Catholic and "Adventy.."
    First Lesson: Genesis 2:4b-9, 15-25 God creates man and woman to live in obedience in the Garden of Eden.
    Hymn: Creator of the Stars of Night (Chant, Mode IV)
    Second Lesson: Genesis 3:1-15 Adam and Eve rebel against God and are cast out of the Garden of Eden.
    Choral Carol: Remember, O Thou Man (Thomas Ravenscroft)
    Third Lesson: Isaiah 40:1-11 God comforts God's people and calls them to prepare for redemption
    Hymn: On Jordan's Bank the Baptist's Cry (Winchester New)
    Fourth Lesson: Zephaniah 3:14-18 The Lord will be among us; we are summoned to rejoice and sing.
    Anthem: Never Weather-Beaten Sail (Charles Wood)
    Fifth Lesson: Isaiah 7:10-15 God promises that a child shall be conceived who will be known as "God with us."
    Hymn: Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming Es ist ein Ros' (Choir in German first, then congregation)
    Sixth Lesson: Micah 5:2-4 The Prophet Micah foresees the glory of little Bethlehem
    Hymn: The Angel Gabriel from Heaven Came Choir verse 1, all join in at verse 2
    Seventh Lesson: Luke 2:26-56 The Angel Gabriel announces to the Virgin Mary that she will bear the Son of the Most High.
    Chant: Alma Redemptoris Mater (Solemn Tone)
    Prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mother
    Motet: Ave Maria (Arcadelt)
    Eighth Lesson: John 1:1-14 The Great Mystery of the Incarnation is unfolded.
    Motet: Spaséñiye, sodélal (Pavel Tschesnokoff)
    Advent Responsory
    Hymn: O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
    Advent Blessing and Closing Prayer
    Closing Voluntary.

Just sharing for information. I hope this outline is helpful.

It was very well received, though we were still coming out of covid at that point, so attendance wasn't as high as we would have hoped. Also, being a Newman Center, doing something big like this prior to the students leaving for winter break makes a big difference in attendance at a place like this.

Now, I have the joy of having a priest who, though no-longer posted at the parish I serve, is returning to celebrate a 6:00am candle-lit "Rorate" Mass on December 23rd. N.O. Mass, celebrated a the high altar, with as many full gregorian propers as can be? YES PLEASE! A welcome change for this musician who grows weary of a 4-hymn sandwich....
  • At Walsingham Advent Lessons & Carols usually takes place on Advent Sunday or the second Sunday of Advent. There is also Christmas L & C which one could if one wanted do sometime during the season.

I've never understood why one did a lot of special music during Advent and Lent but when Christmas and Easter arrived there was silence where should be seasons of unbridled jubilation.
  • Liam
    Epiphany should be a good occasion for music that doesn't require gobs of rehearsal during the Christmas octave.

Likewise, Pentecost can be a musical culmination of Eastertide.
  • At Walsingham Advent Lessons & Carols usually takes place on Advent Sunday or the second Sunday of Advent. There is also Christmas L & C which one could if one wanted do sometime during the season.

Jackson, does this mean that the cathedral currently only does an Advent one with Advent repertoire?

One of the reasons I ask is that, at the parish which now employs me, the practice seems to have been to have L&C in the final days of Advent and to use overtly Christmas repertoire. I'm trying to get away from this while also preserving the "feel" of Lessons and Carols.
  • Trenton -
    At Walsingham we have Advent L & C early in Advent, and an Epiphany L & C followed by a Boar's Head Feast.

Come to think of it, one could have a similar sort of service on Holy Family. All these would go a long way to do 'The Season' Justice
    I think your parish is not alone in doing a late Advent L & C as you describe, but I wouldn't be infavour of it.
    To me it would be sort of like singing 'Jesus Christ is Risen Today' on Good Friday.

Several other Feasts, namely Holy Family and Presentation would really make Christmass truly exulted in homes where ye season's jollity and parties of glee from Christmas through Epiphany --- (if not through Presentation).
  • tomjaw
    We do have a problem, in that society as a whole celebrates 'Christmas' during Advent. So we fall into the trap of having our Christmas carols, parties and dinners in Advent. Also the Christmas holiday begins around Christmas eve with people travelling to their families, so are not available for parish events in the Octave of Christmas.

Our recently introduced carol evening in Advent focuses on Advent carols, but our Christmas dinner is in Advent. We do have sung Masses most days within the Octave, and plenty of Polyphony so we are doing better than most. This year we are going to have an Epiphany fair / party, as a new event to help people celebrate Christmas for the full 12 days!

I've never understood why one did a lot of special music during Advent and Lent but when Christmas and Easter arrived there was silence where should be seasons of unbridled jubilation.

Ahhhhh, after the exertions of Holy Week it is difficult to find singers with voices for Easter Sunday, although we now have Polyphony on that day as well. Also I find it difficult to not only find the rehearsal time but also the will to practice Easter music in Lent especially Passiontide.
    Sadly we don't sing very much in the Easter Octave, everyone is too tired.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • (Starting a new thread!)