I needed to share a good interaction
  • Hello!

Since starting at my new job in January, the people that I've interacted with after Mass (read: the ones who aren't mad about a reverent NO Mass and stay for donuts) have had overwhelmingly positive things to say. Some confusion about why we do what we do (esp. Propers, sung Creed, Latin Ordinaries, dignified hymns), but in general they want to be docile to Church teaching.

One woman, who always goes to one particular Mass, has bucked that trend. She consistently is against the use of Latin, wants familiar hymns from the '80s, and generally gives me the negative feedback that no one else does (some of which has actually been very helpful!).

Today we had a conversation after All Saints' Day Mass about my Christmas planning, and she insisted that we needed some familiar carols for those who only come once or twice a year. I agreed in this instance, and pointed out that we will be using several familiar carols in familiar places, tried to compromise by suggesting we use Silent Night as a prelude instead of during the Day Mass, where it makes no sense. Many more points were made, and it was clear she was frustrated

At the end, I thanked her (sincerely) for giving me the negative feedback that no one else would. I told her that I would make the decisions that I have to make to help people pray, but that her suggestions were helpful and useful. She was so bewildered that I repeated that several times. The interaction ended with her smiling for the first time since Mass, saying "I need to make your job easier, not harder," and giving me a hug.

It was beautiful, and the Holy Spirit was moving. I just wanted to share with you all so that you have some reassurance that people are a beautiful creation of God, and that they want to know so badly that you love and appreciate them.
  • Wow, emac3183, what an awesome story!
  • Carol
    Congratulations! Sounds like you disarmed her with true humility.