When is it appropriate to sing the Pange Lingua?
  • Hi all—
    I'd love the hive-mind's opinion on this: when is it appropriate to sing the Pange Linga (if ever) outside of Corpus Christi and Maundy Thursday?

Some hymns have very strong associations with only single days of the calendar, and this seems to be a candidate for such. (I confess, for many hymns, I bend the rules and use them at other times, too, or use alternate texts with those tunes. I use IRBY with the text, "Wondrous Love, that cannot falter" during communion, for instance, otherwise we would only hear it once a year at lessons & carols)

That said, I had the idea to use the first verse of the Pange Lingua for All Souls, and I was wondering if this is just too weird.

We use AntiphonRenewal's entrance antiphon tropes, but the meter for this week isn't conducive to any good, penitential-sounding tunes. It occurred to me that we could sing the first verse of the Pange Lingua (which is fairly appropriate for a requiem mass) and then an alteration of the options AR provides, such that it would be:

Sing, my tongue, the Saviour's glory,
    Of His Flesh, the mystery sing;
    Of the Blood, all price exceeding,
    Shed by our Immortal King,
    Destined, for the world's redemption,
    From a noble Womb to spring.

Requiem aeternam dona,
    dona eis Domine,
    Grant them everlasting rest, Lord,
    on them shine your light alway.
    Blest the ones whom You have chosen
    ever in Your courts to stay.

The end result would be praising God for His Sacrifice, and then a trope of the Requiem Æternam. Seems fitting to me, but I won't do it if this is just too off-the-walls.

And this peculiar situation aside, do any of you schedule it for any other time of the year apart from CC and MTh? I imagine some of you schedule it for communion, but to other tunes, rather than the chant melody.
  • I also discovered that Kathleen Pluth's FANTASTIC text for November 2 (Cantica Nova) matches the Pange Lingua.
  • I know a few different religious communities that sing it with exposition of the Blessed Sacrament on Thursdays, and this was a tradition going back pre-vatican II.

Personally I dont mind it outside of Corpus Christi, when you have to choose between other options at a NO mass and if it is used only at particular occasions.
  • FKulash
    I'd love the hive-mind's opinion on this: when is it appropriate to sing the Pange Linga (if ever) outside of Corpus Christi and Maundy Thursday?

You're talking about two different hymns. The one sung on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday ("Pange lingua gloriosi proelium certaminis") is attributed to Venantius Fortunatus. The one sung on Corpus Christi ("Pange lingua gloriosi corporis mysterium") is by Thomas Aquinas. As MonasteryLiturgist said, that hymn is also sung at Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, especially the last two stanzas, "Tantum ergo sacramentum" and "Genitori Genitoque".

Singing something (words, tune or both) on one occasion that is associated with a different occasion can be very effective. Thomas Aquinas must have wanted people singing his hymn to have the earlier hymn (which is all about the life and death of Jesus) in mind, as if to say, "what we're celebrating today is the result of Jesus' ministry and suffering".

In this particular case, I think the connection between either "Pange lingua" hymn and All Souls is too tenuous. I wouldn't suggest singing those words for All Souls'. There's a much stronger case for singing a text like "Requiem aeternam dona" to that tune.
  • The one sung on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday ("Pange lingua gloriosi proelium certaminis"

The "Pange" sung on Holy Thursday is "pange lingua gloriosi corporis mysterium".
    Thanked by 2FKulash CHGiffen
  • Well, after discussing it with my pastor, I've scrapped the Pange Lingua first verse. Ended up going completely with Kathy's text instead, and then slightly altering the AR text to fit Picardy. We'll do Kathy's text at offertory.

That simply leaves the question of whether or not it's OK to sing the chant at other times. I find myself sympathetic to the argument that perhaps Aquinas would have been happy for the hymn to be sung at other times. And considering the fact that many chant melodies have multiple texts set to them, it doesn't seem too absurd to borrow the well-beloved melody and set another text.
    Thanked by 1monasteryliturgist
  • MarkB
    Regarding "Pange Lingua" specifically, I program it in Latin sung to the usual melody as a short Communion hymn, between chanting the Communion antiphon and the main Communion song, about once every six weeks, but I only use verses 1 & 4 in that case because verses 2-3 are too closely tied to Holy Thursday and verses 5-6 to Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. Verses 1 & 4 are about the Eucharist as Communion, so I think it's appropriate to use those regularly at Communion during Mass.

I do likewise with other pieces that are strongly associated with particular liturgical feasts. For example, the piece we sing during the foot washing on Holy Thursday is Peter Latona's setting, "Mandatum." I program that as an offertory piece throughout the liturgical year when appropriate, but only verses 5-6 because verses 1-4 are too closely tied to Holy Thursday. Doing so serves two purposes: 1) on Holy Thursday itself it's a familiar piece that people know and can sing since we've sung it throughout the year; 2) singing that piece brings to mind Holy Thursday and the foot washing in people's memories so that the whole liturgical year looks back and looks ahead to the Triduum. I've planned "Mandatum" as the offertory piece both on All Saints Day and on the Solemnity of Christ the King for that reason: Christ is the King of the Universe who washed his disciples' feet as an example of saintliness/holiness for them to follow instead of lording his power over them.

Another example of getting more mileage out of liturgical music is a new composition from OCP titled "The Word Became Flesh," by Orin Johnson. OCP has categorized that as an Advent and Christmas piece, but I think it's suitable for use throughout the liturgical year. I used it on the Feast of the Transfiguration this past summer, as well as on a couple Sundays of Ordinary Time when the Gospel reading or the second reading made it a good fit.

Back to "Pange Lingua," I think singing it throughout the year instead of only on Holy Thursday both allows people to know and learn the song so that it's familiar and easily sung during the transfer of the Blessed Sacrament on Holy Thursday proper, and singing it outside Holy Thursday creates an association in people's minds with the rites and the mysteries of Catholic faith that go along with Holy Thursday, giving more cohesion to the liturgical year.

Parish communities that only sing it during the transfer on Holy Thursday often find that people don't sing it because they don't know it. Well, if you only sing it once a year, it's hard for people to learn it and remember it.

On Good Friday we sing the Roman Missal's English translation of "Faithful Cross" to the tune of "Pange Lingua" during Adoration of the Cross.

Yet I wouldn't use "Pange Lingua" for the entrance text on All Souls Day; I don't think it fits as an entrance piece. Maybe for Communion.

I've programmed Toolan's "I Am the Bread of Life" for Communion on both All Saints Day and All Souls Day, to be sung after the Communion antiphon has been chanted. That repetition reinforces an association between the two liturgical feasts.
  • FKulash
    The "Pange" sung on Holy Thursday is "pange lingua gloriosi corporis mysterium".

You're right; thanks. My mistake.
    Thanked by 1trentonjconn
  • Liam
    That's different from the "Tantum ergo makes your hair grow if you use it faithfully" text (tune: ST THOMAS (Wade)) . . .
  • tomjaw
    Pange Lingua (Aquinas)
    From, Britt Hymns Of Breviary And Missal 1952
    Liturgical Use:
    Vesper hymn for the feast of Corpus Christi and throughout its Octave. It is sung as a processional hymn on Holy Thursday, Corpus Christi, and during the Forty Hours’ Adoration.
    The Pange Lingua is pre-eminently the hymn of the Most Blessed Sacrament. It is the most popular as well as the most beautiful of the Eucharistic hymns of the Angelic Doctor. “This hymn," says Neale, "contests the second place among those of the Western Church with the Vexilla Regis, the Stabat Mater, the Jesus dulcis memoria, the Ad regias Agni dapes, the Ad Supernum, and one or two others, leaving the Dies Ire in its unapproachable glory. It has been a bow of Ulysses to translators" (Medieval Hymns, p. 179). Neale's own translation appeared in 1851, and Caswall's in 1849. ‘The versions of these two eminent hymn writers are in more extensive use than all others combined.

This hymn is also found in most Benediction manuals, so it is appropriate to sing in full at Benediction, and the last two verses must be sung in England and Wales. I would see no problem with using it as a Communion hymn.
  • We regularly use the mode III melody for the Tantum Ergo at benediction, that serves to keep up its collective congregational memory.

Pange Lingua . . . Corporis Myserium is a worthy and rich eucharistic text at communion time any time of ear. Use it often!

I find the the mode iii melody especially useful for wordy 878787 office hymns, as there are not many other swiftly moving melodies that our congregants know with this meter.

I think the Sarum variant of this melody works much better for English hymn texts and their ideomatic word stresses.

At requiems and All Souls, I use this melody set with that glorious translation of De Profundis Exclamantes ( the medieval requiem sequence), "Christ, enthroned in highest heaven."

I would dispute the idea that a eucharistic connection to the requiem texts is tenuous. The dead soul's claim to the Body of Christ stressed at the requiem liturgy. This is one of the primary claims of the liturgical symbolism. That's why, for instance, we surround the body with 6 candles, emulating the altar arrangement and offering him to the Father bound up in and as the Body of Christ. See this verse:

That which Thou Thyself hast offered
    To Thy Father, offer we;
    Let it win for them a blessing,
    Bless them, Jesu, set them free;
    They are Thine, they wait in patience;
    Merciful and gracious be.
  • I think it would be fine to use any time during the year, as a chant in honor of the Blessed Sacrament. We use it whenever we have a Eucharistic Procession (so Holy Thursday, Corpus Christi, and just this last Sunday for Christ the King). But there is such a large selection of other ad libitum chants in honor of the Blessed Sacrament, that I don't think it would be necessary to use the Pange Lingua very often. Just saving it for a few times throughout the year makes it feel more "special".

Here's a decent sized collection one could start with (still a work in progress). Just learning and using all of those chants would allow for a ton of variety Sunday to Sunday, especially if the choir is also mixing in some polyphony. I would also argue that chants in honor of the Blessed Sacrament are always an appropriate (the most appropriate) option to sing during Communion time, since we are literally praising and worshipping the very Sacrament that is being distributed at that moment.
  • OMM— what a treasure trove. Thank you!
    Thanked by 1OMagnumMysterium
  • tomjaw
    For Communion / Blessed Sacrament, the Compline Hymn for Corpus Christi is an excellent choice. This is from the Office written by St. Julianawe sing it several times a year.

Christus noster vere cibus,
    Christus noster vere potus,
    Caro Christi vere cibus,
    Sanguis Christi vere potus...

As for the Pange lingua, we have parodies,
    St Catharine of Alexandria
    and
    St. Thomas Aquinas (this should not be used liturgically).
  • Chaswjd
    The text of Pange Lingua is specifically recommended by the church to be sung on Holy Thursday. Nor where is it otherwise forbidden. Accordingly, it must be alius cantus aptus where the text would be appropriate.
    Thanked by 2ServiamScores tomjaw
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Pange Lingua (gloriosi) is also specified for the Procession on Corpus Christi, as well as the Hymn at 2nd Vespers on Corpus Christi.
  • a_f_hawkins
    The editor of the 1940 edition of the Westminster Hymnal notes the addition of Latin hymns for use at Benediction and suggests that some of them might be sung by the congregation during communion 'in place of the customary motet'. Pange lingua gloriosi is included here. [NB by the date of the imprimatur we were 10 weeks into conscription for WWII, and had had compulsory military training for men of appropriate age for six months, so disruption to choirs was anticipated]
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • Liam
    " . . . so disruption to choirs was anticipated

And, in World War I, that disruption was the trigger for English composers/arrangers to retrieve and re-purpose 16th century voicing divisions into hymn descants that we've since come to think were always a thing, but hadn't been. (Cf. Andrew Gant's "O Sing Unto The Lord: A History of English Church Music")
  • chonakchonak
    Occasionally, one finds a parish with monthly First-Friday/First-Saturday prayer vigils. If these include a procession at the start of their Exposition, the Pange lingua is certainly appropriate.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw