Spanish Advent Recommendations Welcome
  • Hi all--
    I was approached by one of our hispanic choirs that I do not direct, and asked to work with them for Advent. They are normally a grab-bag group of teens who are led by guitar, however during Lent I accompanied all their masses, and we sang the missa simplex in Latin, and only had organ. We collected a small rota of hymns we could do during Lent, and recycled them every other week. Now that they've asked me to do the same thing with them for Advent (I'm thrilled!), I'm in need of some appropriate Advent hymns or even easy anthems/motets that are in spanish. They specifically requested to try some harder music this time around, and I'd like to honor that if I can, but within reason. We won't be singing polyphony any time soon, I assure you, but perhaps something simpler that is 2 part with a basic accompaniment would be possible.
    Thanks in advance,
    James
  • I'll for sure give them the Creator Alme Siderum translation. Thank you for that! (I do wish there were copyright notices though... makes me nervous not to know the provenance of the texts.)
  • MarkB
    I don't have much personal experience with this organization's website nor using its resources, but it was highly recommended to me by someone who does Spanish liturgical music:

https://cantocatolico.org/

There is a free downloadable songbook, free choral music, and even a phone app for accessing the resources. Searchable by liturgical season. Free to download after registering, so you really can't go wrong exploring what they have to offer.

You should check it out and see if it offers what you're looking for.

The organization also has a YouTube channel with some recordings:

https://www.youtube.com/@CantocatolicoOrg/featured

Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • TCJ
    O Mesias Prometido and Abranse los Cielos are both listed as "tradicional" in Canta la Misa, so it seems they are public domain. I believe the others in that file are also public domain, too.
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • Felicia
    The tune to "Abranse los cielos" is similar to the "Noel Suisse" by Louis-Claude Daquin, so the music would be in the public domain. I'm not sure about the text's copyright status.

A neighboring parish subscribes to Canta la Misa, the Spanish missal published by Ignatius Press. I think I saw a translation of Veni Emanuel in it when I visited that parish in July.

About attributions: It seems that providing reliable attributions for hymns--both texts and tunes--is sort of a novelty for Catholics. It wasn't until the mid-20th century when compilers of English-language hymnals included them (at least in the U.S.), and those in the Spanish-speaking community have only begun to do so more recently. At least this is my impression, having studied a number of hymnals published over the last fifty years or so.

Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • There is no copy right on those hymns
    Thanked by 1Felicia
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I still have an eye out for a good 4-part harmonization of NOEL SUISSE; for now Franck (L'organiste 2ieme recueil) looks like a starting point.