Choral pieces for last week in Ordinary Time?
  • Hello all,

I have pretty much planned out all the music for my Friday school Masses up until Christmas, but one I am stuck on is a motet/choral piece for the last Friday in Ordinary Time before the first week of Advent. Does anyone have suggestions for a (relatively) simple piece I could have my 7th and 8th grade girls sing during Communion? I'm really struggling to come up with music for the week between Christ the King and Advent.
  • tomjaw
    We have a Hymn for the End of the Liturgical year, https://societyofstbede.wordpress.com/2014/11/23/last-sunday-after-pentecost/
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I think I've got a school Mass coming up on Dec. 1 too. The psalmody is the Canticle Benedicite omnia opera from Daniel 3, which happens to be the 4th psalm of St. David's Office. I expect it's quite within the grasp of children to sing it antiphonally.

For Communion, the Luke 21:29-33 Gospel was formerly used in the Tridentine Mass for Advent I, so I expect Dominus dabit benignitatem is equally apt for the Friday. You could also check CPDL for polyphony: in your place I'd be tempted by Fux or Balbi with (A)TB on organ, or contacting John Reager about what looks like it would make a feasible SSAA arrangement.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • CGM
    According to the Graduale Romanum, the Communio for the 34th Week in Ordinary Time is Ierusalem quae aedificatur, Psalm 122:3-4. Prescribed verses also from Psalm 122:1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.

This antiphon was set by Heinrich Isaac, available online here. It's not exactly simple — perhaps you could have all the girls sing the soprano line whilst an organist plays the ATB parts.

There are dozens of other settings of Psalm 122 — see CPDL here. Perhaps one of them will suit, if the Isaac does not.