"Liturgia Defunctorum" section of the 1974 Graduale
  • I'm unclear as to why there are so many options provided in the GR for the different Propers for requiem Masses. The familiar ones are provided and are followed by a listing of others that apparently can replace the first choice. Is there a particular reason for the wide variety of options (for instance, option 5 under the versus alleluiatici specifies that it is for a priest or religious). Do the others follow specific use, or was this an early part of the "reform"?
  • Liam
    FWIW, here is a link to a PDF of the first interim English vernacular Rite of Funerals, 1970 edition, that preceded the first (since superseded) Order of Christian Funerals that went into effect in 1989 and superseded the 1970 edition.

https://curate.nd.edu/downloads/und:v692t438r37
  • The 1970 Missale Romanum and the subsequent editions of 1975, 2000 and 2008 provide several Masses ‘In Exsequiis’. The first edition had 14 different Masses.

I presume that the wider choice of Gregorian chants in the 1974 Graduale Romanum reflect this provision of different texts for different occasions and commemorations, while putting the traditional chants on the first place.

See also the Ordo Cantus Missae, pp. 143-144.
  • Thank you for your help. I suspected that there had to be a connection, but it didn’t occur to me to look at the OCM for more clues.

The confusion was that each of the sets of texts in the current missal are for clearly specified purposes (child, priest, etc.), while in the GR some of the chants have up to 7 different options, and only in the case I noted above was the option associated with a specific Mass (priest or religious).

Still, it seems puzzling that such a vast array of choices would be provided. I assume it would have fallen upon either the priest or a music director to make those choices. Now we have to sit down with families already grieving, and often confused, who may even have fallen away from the Church, and let them choose music, readings, prayers, etc., with little to no understanding of the true purpose of the rites for funerals.
  • I assume it would have fallen upon either the priest or a music director to make those choices. Now we have to sit down with families already grieving, and often confused, who may even have fallen away from the Church, and let them choose music, readings, prayers, etc., with little to no understanding of the true purpose of the rites for funerals.

I don't see anything in the rubrics that prohibits the priest or music director from making those choices when the grieving families don't want to. On the other hand, it may be a great help to the survivors to have those choices made by people who knew the deceased well. I'm glad I was allowed to help chose the readings and chants at my mother's funeral.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • tomjaw
    @FKulash
    One priest I know gave them a choice either EF and no options to choose or N.O. and a long list. Most chose the EF! Interestingly most were delighted with the EF many experiencing it for the first time.
  • smt
    Don't want to rant, but this is typical for the whole reform and one of its flaws. There are a ton of options everywhere. Some are very weird. E.g. in this case: Why should anybody want a different introit than Requiem aeternam if he/she wants a latin sung requiem mass? There are many other questionable option in this section of the GR 1974. Plus some changes which I dont understand either. Why change the verse from the Requiem introit? "Te decet hymnus Deus in Sion: ad te omnis caro veniet" is just iconic through all the famous compositions.

Hmm, that was kind of rant-ish. I'm a 100% NO man, but I clearly see the flaws of the reform. I think it makes sense to compare to the old version and in doubt try to come close to it with the choices which are given to you. Because the 1974 version often just makes parts of the old form optional.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw ServiamScores
  • Why should anybody want a different introit than Requiem aeternam if he/she wants a latin sung requiem mass?

I found myself asking this same question so many times that I finally just opted for the TLM.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Jeffrey Quick
  • For the same reason they might choose a different Gospel than John 11.