Lighter Fare: Tuning to Ambient or Intrusive Sounds
  • Is it just me?

I rather enjoy improvising in the key of whatever noises happen to be about. For example, one time whilst practicing earnestly, the vacuum brigade decided it was high time the church was cleaned. Instead of getting annoyed, I found the key of the loudest machine (Eb, if I recall) and played a rousing improv with it faithfully holding down the pedal point.

While serving as a seminary organist at the FSSP seminary, the chapel bells were great fun to improv around. There were three of them. I can't remember the exact pitches, but many improvisations were born of the ringing thereof. I'd often start very soft, so you couldn't even quite tell the organ was there. Then gradually build up in a complementary key or mode.

Or, take for example the air purifier in my 18-month-old's room. It happily hums an A. Which is perfect for a La drone as I sing the solemn Salve Regina as she goes to sleep.

Tell me I'm not the only one...

And tell me your tales of tuning to strange sounds.
  • You are definitely not the only one.

I have to figure out pitches whenever I have things like this crop up too. I regularly hum to myself while I brush my teeth, using my toothbrush as the drone. Whenever I’m humming and our well pump kicks on I want to make that pitch do or sol depending on what I’m singing. There are other things I’m sure… but they aren’t coming to me at the moment.
    Thanked by 132ContraBombarde
  • I once, traveling alone, sang the Lament for the Fall of Constantinople to an ad lib Byzantinish chant to the accompaniment of a cheap motel’s noisy fan as an ison.
  • GerardH
    "Improvisation on a Cipher" features now and then in our programme
  • TCJ
    I sometimes sing The King of Love while mowing the grass because the lawnmower was a nice steady drone for an Irish tune. I am also always wondering about pitches for pots and pans banging in the kitchen and any other random noises that I hear.
  • Liam
    Yep. But I only do this vocally, not being a keyboardist.
  • Bb Vuvuzela 8' en chamade.
  • An extreme example is the work of Charlemagne Palestine.

I remember one time some head scratching over a slight flatting during a Good Friday rehearsal, before we noticed a distant air conditioner switching on again. If I ever perform Stockhausen's Stimmung during warm weather that pedal point between B and B-flat will be very convenient.
  • I've harmonized with both a lawnmower and the vent hood over the stove.
  • The HVAC in our parish office hums at around 125 Hz, which is just about at the B on the bass staff. It makes a nice drone for one to chant around.
  • Drake
    Alas, I, too, am guilty, but my instruments of choice are the electric toothbrush and the cappuccino machine -- both to which my wife has also been known to harmonize.

One of my sons, when he was maybe 3, was already able to match pitches pretty well. My wife and I would hum a note, he would match it, then we'd each move a third (in opposite directions) to product a chord, and this would make my son laugh, which, in turn, made us laugh. It was quite amusing.
  • I got very bored driving on the highway and noticed that the rumble strip in the shoulder harmonized nicely with my music. I also noticed I could change the pitch depending on my speed.
    Thanked by 1ServiamScores
  • As a child, waiting for the school bus,within sight of Lake Huron, I would improvise against the ships' foghorns. Closer to topic, my schola rehearses downstairs, next to the A/C, which puts out a fairly loud flat Bb. I cooperate with the inevitable and pitch the chant to it.