Nunc Dimittis (Parish Book of Chant)
  • Bri
    I notice that there are two versions of Nunc Dimittis in the Parish Book of Chant.

The second one (#268) is "according to the Liber usualis."

Would anyone happen to know where the first one (#267) comes from?

When might one choose to use one version over the other?

Thanks!
  • FKulash
    #267 is the version found in Liber Antiphonarius (a.k.a. Antiphonale Monasticum), vol. 2 (2006), page 233. Which version you use depends on how you chant Tone 3: #267 has ti as the reciting note (which is what Liber Antiphonarius does consistently) and #268 has do as the reciting note (which is what Liber Usualis does consistently.
    Thanked by 1Bri
  • Bri
    Thank you!!

Is one more commonly used?
  • FKulash

Is one more commonly used?
    Really good question! I hope a lot of people share their experiences.

I hear ti used as the reciting note for Tone 3 much more often, because that's what they do at the parish where I usually sing Vespers. Ti seems to be the reciting note in monasteries. (The first edition of The Parish Book of Chant (2008) had only one version, on ti, with a footnote "This is the monastic version; see the Liber Usualis for the secular version.") In non-monastic churches, I'm not sure I've ever heard Tone 3 sung with ti as the reciting note; on the rare occasions when I have heard Tone 3, it's always been with do as the reciting note, perhaps because that sounds like the more familiar Tone 8.
    Thanked by 1Bri
  • I hope a lot of people share their experiences.

I've always heard it with Do as the reciting note.
    Thanked by 1Bri
  • We use Ti here in our Monastery
    Thanked by 2Bri drforjc
  • Do. And this is tone 3b not 3a for Dominicans. the change on the first half of the tone doesn't have those 2 notes before the last one. Just one note. Always a wee bit different! I "grew up" OSB so changing to the slight differences of OP were difficult but now it is familiar to me and OSB is not.
    Thanked by 1Bri