Propers for daily Mass?
  • Hi all, how does one determine the introit/offertory/communion propers for a daily Mass (Novus Ordo) during ordinary time? My Daily Roman Missal (7th ed) has the introit, psalm, gospel and communion for each sunday, plus daily Masses in certain seasons like Lent etc but nothing specifically listed for OT dailies. Do the daily Masses take (i.e. repeat) the entrance/communion from the Sunday? I know there's a huge kerfuffle about sourcing (or even using) Offertory propers too, but that is a separate issue.
    I am proposing to my pastor that I provide limited music for 1 daily Mass a week, and we may start this summer - unsure where to get the texts from though.
    thanks
    Thanked by 1LauraKaz
  • ServiamScores
    I’ve just turned to Fr. Weber for this. He has settings for the weekdays too, and he’s fine all the homework. You’re correct that many of them follow Sundays, however.
  • Paul F. Ford
    You said it: "The daily Masses take (i.e. repeat) the entrance/communion from the Sunday." If you use the Simple Gradual (here I am thinking of By Flowing Waters), you may make choices based on the following chart:

Ordinary Time I (BFW 221–229) — praise of the God at work in Jesus’ ministry
    Ordinary Time II (BFW 230–238) — trust and hope in God
    Ordinary Time III (BFW 239–247) — petitioning God for assistance
    Ordinary Time IV (BFW 248–258) — thanksgiving to God, especially in God’s house
    Ordinary Time V(BFW 259–268) — God’s justice
    Ordinary Time VI (BFW 269–274, as well as BFW 232–234 and 241–243) — God’s peace and loving kindness
    Ordinary Time VII (BFW 275–280, as well as BFW 250–253 and 262–264) — reverence and love for God
    Ordinary Time VIII (BFW 281–287, as well as BFW 645, 210–211, 413–414, and 123) — God is true to God’s name, “I will be with you”
    Ordinary Time IX (BFW 288–295, as well as BFW 133 and 140) — watchful joy for the Return of Christ

Thanked by 2CHGiffen hilluminar
  • rich_enough
    If you are singing anything in Latin, some daily masses in OT have specified proper thants that differ from the Sunday - these are listed in the 1974 Graduale. Also, keep in mind that communion chants in particular are often specific for years A, B and C of the 3 year cycle of readings (usually in order to match the gospel), and the communion chant for the weekdays may or may not match.

FInally, chants for obligatory memorials (latin or English) are taken from the common or proper of the day.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Yes, you can look for the daily propers in the 1974 Graduale Romanum, which lists the chants for each week, with directions for specific days. Generally, daily propers will be identical to Sunday propers. For this 10th week per annum (Hebdomada Decima, p. 288) for example:

IN Dominus illuminatio mea (Sunday Year B: Si iniquitates)
    GR Propitius esto (Sunday Year C: Exaltabo te; Monday Year I: Benedicam Dominum; Tuesday Year II: Iacta cogitatum)
    AL Deus qui sedes
    OF Illumina oculus
    CO Dominus firmamentum (Sunday Year B: Quicumque fecerit; Monday Year I & II: Beati mundo cordo)
    Thanked by 2rich_enough CHGiffen