Catholic Action Hymn
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    My parish DRE is looking for the Catholic Action Hymn "An Army of Youth" in any form available including sheet music. I've personally never heard of it, and It might not even be a "hymn". Thanks in advance.
  • An army of youth
    Flying the standards of truth,
    We're fighting for Christ, the Lord.
    Heads lifted high,
    Catholic Action our cry,
    And the Cross our only sword.
    On earth's battlefield
    Never a vantage we'll yield.
    As dauntlessly on we swing
    Comrades true, dare and do
    'Neath the Queen's white and blue,
    For our flag, for our faith,
    For Christ the King.
    Christ lifts His hands,
    The King commands; challenge, 'Come and follow me.'

From ev'ry side,
    With eager stride,
    We form in the lines of victory.
    Let foemen lurk,
    And laggards shirk,
    We throw our fortunes to the Lord
    Mary's Son,
    Till the world is won,
    We have pledged you our loyal word.
    'An army of youth'

[Daniel Lord, S.J. The Queens Work, St. Louis, MO, 1932]

I actually was contacted by someone two days ago who has the score and is sending it to me...
  • The music score is now available at: www.thecatholichymnal.com under Hymn Searches.
  • chonakchonak
    I found the page for that hymn, but no link to a PDF. Are you in the middle of working on it?
  • Thanks, I thought I had clicked the UPLOAD button, but got distracted. It's up there. It, like Mother Beloved and We Stand For God, are a little...well, you'll see.
  • chonakchonak
    Oh, I've heard it sung before, on bus trips to the March for Life. Very appropriate!
  • my High School Prinicpal loved this hymn, we sang it at our school Masses anytime it fit with the occasion. :)
  • maganudo
    There is a popular novena at St. Andrew Parish in Johnstown, Pennsylvania which still uses this hymn. It is a novena to the Infant of Prague, and still (2011) attracts about 500 people a night. While I am sure most of the people do not understand this hymn, it is sung with great gusto. Contact them for the music.
  • corunum
    In our school, here in Montevideo, Uruguay, (one of the Sacred Heart Schools from St. Madeleine Sophie Barat) we used to sing it at benediction every afternoon before we left for home. We did not use "Catholic Action" our cry, but "Cor Unum" our cry. This beautiful song resounded through the halls as we marched out of the chapel. Its words lifted our spirits and strengthened our vows to committing our lives to serving those who need our attention, our care, our education, our skills... Sublime words and music!!! :-) :-) Ideal for Confirmation.
  • JenniferGM
    Seton School, in Manassas, uses this every year for the feast of Christ the King, and recorded it on their cd many years ago Non Nobis Domine.

Just today I received another copy of the sheet music I ordered from etsy. It's a well-worn copy used by Sister Margaret Mary. I scanned my other sheet music before, the quality isn't as good, but I have all three versions on my blog now. If you are interested I could rescan the first two at a better quality if I could just locate my copies! I have temporarily put them in a safe place! For Christ the King.
  • JenniferGM
    Cor Unum, I love that tradition of replacing with "cor unum"! I'll have to pass that one along!
  • mwalsh
    A group of retired Sisters were going to have a visit from 12 4th graders from Mercy School. Since we had learned an Army of Youth in second grade and attended Ford. Un. Summer school in High School, we knew the tune but thanks to your column we have words for our visit. Reminded me of WYD in Brazil.
    M.W.