Happy MLK Day!
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Here in the U.S. it is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Wishing one and all a happy MLK Day.

Does anyone have special music programmed for the day?
  • BHCordova,

Just as I wouldn't program special music (I'm at an ICKSP parish, but even if I weren't) for July 4th, I wouldn't program special music for this day.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    For all of MLK's merits, this is basically a secular observance.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW MarkB tomjaw
  • francis
    I would never program music for a non-liturgical federal holiday... and the same for me whether the 4th of July, Memorial day, etc. Here's a bit of reasoning on the subject from CCWatershed.

https://www.ccwatershed.org/2014/07/04/should-we-sing-patriotic-hymns-mass/
  • Love of country, patria, is good, because patria is a good.

I think we should sing patriotic hymns in church. (Although not as replacing the Mass proper, even though such replacement is allowed in the Novus rite, in general, nuff said.). There are many excellent patriotic hymns. My family’s two backgrounds -- English and Polish -- have some very good ones.

• CharlesW
    Before I retired, I was in the position where the pastor wanted a patriotic entrance and recessional for those holidays. It was always, "God of our Fathers" - the pastor loved the trumpet flourishes - and "America the Beautiful" for recessional. This was for NO masses. I guess the TLM crowd sang, "Around the Outhouse with Palestrina," or some such. LOL
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • Around the Outhouse with Palestrina

There is such a piece? This I must learn!
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Carol
    In my OF parish we will sing a patriotic song for the recessional. I like "America the Beautiful," especially the line "God mend thine every flaw."
  • francis
    You shoulda seen me leading songs at the 4th of July picnic this year... complete with fireworks and iPad singalong songs... everything from The Star Spangled Banner to Stevie Wonder and more... (i play a real mean 12 string Martin)

talk about trads around the outhouse... one person said, 'can we sing, Cecilia? (by S&G)... I looked it up on lyrics.com, we got about one verse in and the song came to a dead stop because of content... (I was literally standing next to the "outhouse" on the property)
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Carol
  • CharlesW
    I really have no idea what the TLM crowd did for patriotic holidays. I had 4 NO masses on Sunday. I was there from 6:00 a.m until 1:00 p.m. Although I was music director, I practiced "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Nothing was broken so I left the TLM to others who had everything under control so I could go home.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    You mean y’all didn’t play Dixie on this day, for Robert E Lee’s bday?
  • CharlesW
    We're all Republicans. Is Lee one of those Trads?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I sincerely hope not Charles.
  • CharlesW
    Lee was a complex figure. Those who read up on him come away with a picture of a man whose loyalties were conflicted and who was torn by decisions he felt he had to make. Nothing is as simple as revisionist "historians" would have us believe.

BTW, my great grandfather on one side and great-great on the other were Union soldiers during the Civil War.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw tandrews
  • Nothing is as simple as revisionist "historians" would have us believe.

I find myself in complete agreement.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CharlesW
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    "_was a complex figure" is a blank that can be filled by Nero or anyone else, and do I really have to point out that this isn't an appropriate thread to get into Giles de Rais revisionism?
    On Monday NPR had a really interesting program by Joseph Horowitz (author of Dvořák's Prophesy). At about 18' he interviews Lee's biographer Allen Guelzo on the current general neglect of intellectual history, and we learn that, before he shed rivers of blood defending slavery, Lee's faculty at West Point played Mendelssohn and Schumann quartets.
  • CharlesW
    As an older historian of some repute said to me in my young student days, at Lee's time, loyalties were stronger to one's state than to the federal government.

To hear some of the current revisionists, the U.S. invented slavery and was the chief culprit in it's implementation. Not true, but reflective of the tendency to judge earlier times by the thinking and views of today.
    Thanked by 3tandrews CCooze tomjaw
  • Liam
    Not uniformly. Viz Bobby Lee's fellow Virginian, U.S. Maj. Gen. Henry Thomas, the Rock of Chickamauga.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    The way that everyone claims that anyone who fought for the South were slave-defending traitors is just appalling.
    It’s similar to the way that people accuse the Catholic Church of all sorts of nonsense throughout history.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    I know, CC. I heard at an early age that we Catholics have guns in the basements of our churches to rise up and kill all the good Protestants. Either we don't have those guns or we are poor shots. There are still plenty of Protestants around.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CharlesW
    The way that everyone claims that anyone who fought for the South were slave-defending traitors is just appalling.

True. Some of our more vocal bleeding hearts look at past times from their Teslas or Fords not recognizing earlier times couldn't fire up the diesel, gas, or steam engines to do work for them. Earlier times used what they had without regard to what future generations would think about their choices. Could they have handled it all better, to be sure they could have, if they knew what we know today. They didn't.

Most southerners did not own slaves. They were expensive and maintenance costs were very high - beyond the reach of most.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Much as I agree with much that has been written here about Gen. Lee and his current reputation, it's a bit off topic, isn't it?
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Gen Lee… off topic
    It was the same day… So, it was about which patriotic tune one would decide to program on that particular day.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw tomjaw