Introducing new mass music to the congregation
  • Stella611
    I would like feedback from other directors out there: when and how do you introduce new music for the congregation to sing, like new ordinary settings? the only possible answer i can come up with is right before mass, but I know that annoys some people(understandably) since it may be the only time they get to come to church that week and have some time to pray in quiet. Any other suggestions?
  • GavinGavin
    I have a few weeks where it's choir-only. And then a bit of time where it's alternatim, that is between choir and congregation. Those both help.

I despise the rehearsal before Mass, but I do exercise it for new ordinaries simply because that IS their part to sing and they should be prepared for it. It'd be wonderful if we could adopt the 19th-century Presbyterian model of bringing people to church on Saturday to learn their music for Sunday, but that's impractical these days.
  • francis
    However, the internet is a wonderful tool for learning new Mass ordinaries. Imagine if we had a ChantTube.com? Then again, I don't think people would take the time to learn it anyway, even if we had it. But I used to post audio files for my choir to learn from. Worked quite well!
  • GavinGavin
    Francis: that's already done by means of those Brazilian monks who have about half the Graduale online. if you haven't seen it, check out: http://www.christusrex.org/www2/cantgreg/index_eng.html
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    The best time, I think, to introduce a new set of Ordinaries is when there's a long enough stretch for the music to sink in. I'm going to try to introduce (if the pastor and "liturgy committee" will buy into it) an unaccompanied chant setting (in LATIN!) during ordinary time (summer). That way, the congregation will have a good long time to let the music and language get into their bones.

The hardest time to introduce a new set of ordinaries is Advent or Lent because of the shortness of the season.

Seems to me I've read that one should avoid as much as possible the "rehearsal before Mass" routine. For one thing, it suggests that what we sing is "hard" and "needs special attention." Besides, I've found that people tend to not pay any attention any better than if you simply put a strong choir, schola or cantor up and repeat the same setting for many weeks in a row.
  • francis
    Thanks, Gavin. I downloaded that entire website to my hard drive a couple of years ago.
  • priorstf
    You might also try having the organist play the music as part of a prelude for a week or two before they are introduced as Mass parts. They will quietly become "familiar" to the congregation without any direct intervention.
  • GavinGavin
    prior, have you had actual succcess with that? I've tried it myself a couple times and, as is predictable, the prelude is just an imposition no one pays attention to.

What we'll do at my parish is have the priest do the introducing. We're "re-introducing" the Gloria, since it got a shaky reception last time. Our priest is going to rehearse the text with the congregation during announcement time and then teach the melody. He'll also explain what the text says. The advantage to this is the captive audience, as well as the chance to draw the congregation's attention to it. And since it's a priest doing the introducing, maybe they'll actually pay attention! It worked quite well for the mortem tuam.
  • I can't stand that rehearsal-before-Mass thing. Seems like "coming attractions." I will say this though: every time we've done it, people have said afterwards how much they appreciate it. It surprises me. In any case, we do it because we have to but I sense that I resent way more than anyone else.
  • I’ve used our parish web site, http://music.ctrcc.com, for teaching new Ordinary music and even new hymns to the parish. I am not sure how much use it gets.
  • Chris
    Hi, I'm new to the site, and I hope I'm not intruding, but I've had some successes in this area that may be helpful. Organ preludes based on the melody have worked very well in my parish; let's hear it for subliminal indoctrination! A 5 to 8 minute partita on the subject really sends it home. Also, as painful as the pre-Mass rehearsal w/ the congregation is, it does work for us. I don't do it often, perhaps fewer than 2 or 3 times a year, but everyone is attentive and willing to learn. Last Lent we brought back the Sanctus and Agnus Dei chants with tremendous success. Older folks remembered it from their childhoods and younger ones enjoyed the challenge of a new language. The only gripes were from some of the baby boomers, but the gripes weren't about the pre-Mass rehearsal !

Gavin's remark about having a clergy member assist is an excellent suggestion. I had a cooperative priest in a former parish who was very willing to help out in teaching new music and it worked wonders! Sadly, not all clergy are as willing or able.
  • I think that an effective way to get people singing the Mass Ordinary is to just keep repeating the same one - over and over (and over!). Yes - it probably does get boring for the musicians. Sadly, I think it's the only way that you're going to get a congregation singing. Most of them won't make the effort to practise at home, although for those that might, you could consider producing a free CD for them to take home and copy and return to the Parish the following week. It took me about 12 months of Credo I before I can say I was satisfied with the way the congregation was singing - and no amount of nagging or criticism would see me go back to using Credo III. Now that they're great at Credo I, Credo III will make a comeback and be used alternately. Either that, or I'll start them on one of the other Credos (I quite like the sound of Credo IV).

It may take over 12 months for a congregation to settle on a particular Mass Ordinary. My advice is to be VERY careful about what Mass Ordinary you choose, as you're going to be stuck with it for a long time! Make sure that it's something that is accessible enough to the congregation - maybe looking at another discussion on this forum which is examining the characteristics of music that is accessible to congregations.
  • Palestrina,
    If you were thinking of starting Credo IV, i would suggest, the version for alternating people and choir that has been posted on chabanelpsalms.org. I don't know what you would think of it, but i think the idea of simplifying the melody when the congregation is singing is ingenious! it all flows very well. Check it out if you'd like. I believe it's under the section of wedding and miscellaneous.
  • G
    "prior, have you had actual succcess with that?"
    I can't answer for him, but I certainly have.
    I'll work melodies into the "filler" after the offertory or communion pieces, as well as before Mass for a few weeks running.
    I have had PIPs insist, when I later mention how well some new piece was sung, "Awww, we've been singing that for years," more than once.
    Since it happened with one piece on which the ink was not yet dry, I know that they are often mistaken in this.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • priorstf
    Gavin - Sorry I missed your question. Yep, I've seen a fair amount of success with playing the music in advance of its introduction at Mass. The congregation becomes 'comfortable' with it before they are called on to sing it.
  • "Yep, I've seen a fair amount of success with playing the music in advance of its introduction at Mass."

If you're introducing hymns, I think that it can make some sense to introduce Lutheran chorale tunes, because there are so many excellent organ preludes and variations on these melodies written by the great composers of the Baroque period, including J.S. Bach and Pachelbel that you can use before, during and after Mass.
  • AOZ
    Jeffry mentioned in another discussion that Wilko Brouwers commented on the vigorous singing of our congregation. It wasn't always so. We attribute a lot of this to our having unplugged all instruments. People feel responsible for singing at Mass, and singing the Mass, whichever the case may be.

And although we don't like to, our pastor has asked us to always teach a new piece before Mass begins. It doesn't happen too often - only when introducing a new ordinary part, for example. We will be doing it this coming weekend when we introduce a new ordinary setting (Mass XVII) for lent.

I don't know if the purpose of the teaching session before Mass is really effective in making them sing the parts right away. But what is does do, as our pastor pointed out, is make people feel invited to participate. With all the of the motets we sing, the propers, etc., it sends a clear signal to them that they have a role, too. I think that is its true value. And in time, they sing.

Wilko, thinking practically after he saw what real parish life is like in the U.S., also suggested making a quick CD of the new Mass parts, and let everyone know they can pick one up after Mass. Why not! I thought it was a brilliant suggestion.
  • G
    "vigorous singing of our congregation.... We attribute a lot of this to our having unplugged all instruments. People feel responsible for singing at Mass, and singing the Mass, whichever the case may be."

I have nothing to add, I just think this can't be said often enough.
    Parish after parish, the English sacramentary chant Our Father demonstrates this.
    When I first had access to EWTN, and thus to Vatican broadcasts, I wanted to cry.

People from all over the world, native speakers of every language, gathered at audiences or Liturgies sing the Pater Noster together, fervently, loudly; they, to use a liturgist's favorite buzz word, OWN it.

I wanted to cry with joy at the Church's true universality, its Catholicity; but also with regret.
    If there had been a will, and leadership from the hierarchy in this country, (instead of de facto and sometimes outright suppression,) WE would all know and love and own it.
    And as a witness to the world, we would be more thoroughly members, not just of our own little corners of Catholicism, our parochial groups, with parochial concerns and practices, but of the Universal Church.

This is why it pained me to see that the official setting of the Mass for _WORLD_ Youth Day is in the language of the host nation.
    Isn't that sort of cultural hegemony "unwelcoming"?
    Not to mention missing a great opportunity to introduce "new" Mass music to a congregation that consists of literally the entire world.

Umm... for someone who had nothing to add, I certainly did run on. I beg your indulgence.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)