SHROUD OF TURIN
  • Shroud On Television and Social Media April 11, 2020
    - from Barrie Schwortz

Special Showing of the Shroud Announced by the Archbishop of Turin.
    On Saturday, April 4, 2020, Mons. Cesare Nosiglia, the Archbishop of Turin, announced that on Saturday, April 11, 2020, there will be an extraordinary veneration of the Shroud in the Turin Cathedral, which will be broadcast live on RAI 1 and on social media platforms. According to the official website, it will also be available via www.sindone.org. Currently, the page is only available in the Italian language but includes links to several important pdf documents, so we are also including links to them here, along with English translations of each courtesy of Joe Marino:

Intervento dell’arcivescovo di Torino e vescovo di Susa, mons. Cesare Nosiglia, alla conferenza stampa in diretta streaming dall’Arcivescovado di Torino (Italian language pdf version)
    Intervention of the Archbishop of Turin and Bishop of Susa, Msgr. Cesare Nosiglia, at the press conference in live streaming from the Archbishopric of Turin (English language pdf version)

Comunicato stampa = In preghiera davanti alla Sindone: diretta tv e social sabato 11 aprile (Italian language pdf version)
    Press Release - In prayer before the Shroud: live TV and social media on Saturday April 11 (English language pdf version)
    In addition to the above articles that came directly from Turin, there were several other reports in the media (and I expect more to come this week leading up to the event) so we are including links to some of them here. We will update this list if other important articles become available.

Shroud of Turin to be shown via TV and social media for coronavirus outbreak by Elise Ann Allen, Senior Correspondent, CRUX, Apr 4, 2020 (English language web article)

Shroud of Turin Goes on Rare Display Amid Coronavirus Pandemic by Francis X. Rocca, Wall Street Journal, April 5, 2020 (Site requires subscription to read entire article)

Archdiocese to livestream display Shroud of Turin on Holy Saturday, Catholic News Service, April 5, 2020
    In an effort to get this update online promptly, I am intentionally keeping it brief and not including a lot of additional Shroud materials. The only exception I am making is a link to a Live Facebook Presentation that took place on April 4, 2020 with Dr. Cheryl White and Fr. Peter Mangum of the Cathedral of St. John Berchmans in Shreveport, Louisiana. Their Museum of the Holy Shroud features the superb Richard Orareo Collection and I thought you would enjoy seeing it. Dr. White stated that the idea for holding the live streaming event was born when all in-person Shroud lectures were cancelled this year. The video (1:30:47) is available at the above link and starts with a look at some of the Orareo Collection materials on display in the Museum. That is followed by in depth Shroud presentations by Dr. White and Fr. Mangum. The next regular website update will go online sometime in May and will include a full report on these events along with much more. Stay safe and healthy and we'll see you in May!
  • Thank you!